Classical aikido dancing

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by kuntaoer, Mar 2, 2011.

1. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6GAQ3-X3Ro"]YouTube - Aikido Dancing[/ame]

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

My eyebrow hurt trying to lift itself high enough to express my confusion. Bloody entertaining though :)

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Ueshiba is turning in his grave.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Probably doing a Pirouette!

:D

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what the....

6. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

aikido dancing

Good fun , not to be taken seriously I hope.The demonstrators have great balance.Nice dance moves.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that is not aikido.

8. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Finally, some aiki where I can see the application.

9. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Context is everything.. what is the context of the video in the original post?
    In a similar vein:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGJGgQqXHos"]Aiki Salsa[/ame]
    What is the context for what is being done in this video? Would it surprise you to know that this took place at the Yoshinkan Hombu?

10. Giovanni

also, not aikido.

koyo....we miss you! it's about this time where we'd be straightened out by him.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually I really enjoyed it!

12. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Angry white ballerina?

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Agreed!

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I hope nobody would "straighten this out." I think it's hilarious and very much tongue-in-cheek. I don't know whether they're just farting around for the fun of it, or having a go at musical "demo teams" like this one (skip to 1:20):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C36TZOHrB-w"]YouTube - Intro/Mortal Kombat/United Breaking Taekwondo Demo[/ame]

But either way, I thought it was funny and harmless.

15. Giovanni

tongue in cheek is fine, but maybe it should be called "dancing" and not "aikido dancing".

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If it was just called "dancing," it wouldn't be tongue-in-cheek anymore, it'd just be bad ballet.

17. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I thought they were all awesome. I saw a video once of "tai chi dance," where a kid mixed street dance with movements from tai chi. The comments were full of "that's not tai chi." I saw the movements in there and thought it was amazingly slick how it was all put together. There's a time for hard training and taking things seriously, and there's a time for fun. I think the videos are great, just because there's dancing doesn't mean there's an abscence of aikido.

18. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

To all you po-faced b***ers:

Its full of harmony body movement and there's even some technique - so of course it's Aikido!

Reminds me of when Yamada Sensei used the Macarana as a warm-up on one Summer School class because I'd missed the party the night before.

19. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Swearing, even with *** isn't allowed here.

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So Aikido is anything with some technical proficiency and "harmonious" movement?

Really?

:bang:

No no it's ok I know it's because I don't "get it".

Mr Smith,

Just what part of the Aiki way involves insulting people who have different view to you and the use of expletives?