Classic Royce vs. DeLucia vid.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

From Johnny Walls at aggressiontv. This is off of the legendary Gracie In Action tapes.

Right click and save.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I love this video :D I love the way Royce toy's with him once he has him on the floor.

I also love the way the Gracie family went out there to prove themselves to everyone; instead of making false, unproven claims. :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

.... and the word was... OWNED.

4. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

Wow, ok well guess thats what you get when you get into MMA with one style. Heh, i thought they only fougth at UFC 3

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

That reeks of Propaganda. Sure the "gung fu guy" got owned several times over. But why the commentry, and why keep referring to him as "gung fu guy" or "gung fu expert".

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Because that's what he claimed to be?

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what should royler have been saying? he could refer to the kungfu guy as "the victim"?

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well there is a certain amount of "propaganda" there. delucia is defending the takedown fairly well until he gets backed up into the wall, and even then he has some semblance of control when he hits the ground, he just cant get the guillotine on (I assume thats what he was trying). and if you look closely, the reason he doesnt choke him out is because delucia is grabbing royces other arm and holding it at bay so he cant sink in the choke. of course he gets owned- so do most people who try grappling with royce- but he does better than they make out.

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

its delucia's own fault for not making proper use of the time they had on his feet. standing there throwing pansy ass inside kicks while fighting one of the most dangerous ground fighters. he got owned and rightly so IMO :D

10. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

gracie was good but when it came to the striking he wasnt all that. Personally i think the gung-fu man was in better shape, but lacked the grappling knowledge to win. Even basic knowledge of the all-important sprawl could've given him the upper-hand.

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

It's a bit of good old fashioned Gracie propaganda, certainly, but the fact is, Royce toyed with him, then destroyed him. Rorion's commentary is classic, he sounds like he's narrating a nature program :D

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well obviously, this IS royce gracie we're talking about :D

13. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

After this fight, DeLucia trained with the Gracies for a while, and they were insulted when he entered into the UFC opposite Royce. That's why DeLucia taps 11 times before Royce lets go of the armbar.:D

[​IMG]

All in all, Royce shows his sadistic side in this vid, as he had many opportunities to finish but would not take them.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

And the moral of this story? Don't mess with the Gracies... they'll HURT you.

15. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

Thats unless your Sakuraba, hehehe

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I love the expression on Royce's face as he's yanking on that armbar :D

17. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Delucia is supposed to be a striker ok? He didn't want to go to the ground ok?

Why the hell did he do the exact same move 3 times in a row (right low kick)? In The first two times he showed Gracie how he moves when he does it, and that he doesn’t follow with anything after the kick, so the Gracie comfortably took him down without risking. Little sparring hand book says observe what your opponent does/ how he reacts , when he does it for a second time it will be exactly the same.

He was waiting for Royce to attack but it was clear that Royce was playing defensibly trying to find the gap in Delucia's offence/technique so he could take him down. Delucia should have followed with some punches after the second low kick IMO, the way he played was like he waited when he would be taken down and lose.

I’m not an good grappler not even by far but that’s the way I see it, anybody agrees?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i do, he waited far too long and on the stand-up he wasn't nearly agressive enough, {he knew gracie was a god of the ground right?} he did the same move 3 times, didn't even variant it, so of course his movements were plain as day, he was a botched abortion the moment he threw the second kick.

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

The DeLucia's stance doesn't do him much justice in the video. Because he's so side on, he loses the ability to sprawl effectively.

Non the less, the video is getting me all excited for Royce v Akebono which is soon to be taking place :D

20. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I agree as well...you do not 'feel out' a Gracie as they will take advantage of this from anything I have seen (unless you are a grappler, and a very good one). If you are stand-up, you need to know something about their style before getting in there and act quickly...very quickly.