Classic Fights

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Some really epic fights, love boxing, the best fight I have seen (probably with some contraversy because of what happened after ) was Nigel Benn v Gerald McKellen, epic fight, but probably my favourite fighter (didn't say best) would have to be Julio Ceasar Chavez snr, the man was as hard as nails.

2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Edwin Rosario v. Jose Luis Ramirez, Part II. This is considered one of the greatest bouts of the 1980 era. I don't want to spoil the ending, but this short fight is a great case study in good refereeing.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I wouldn't count the end of that as good refereeing!

4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

You got my joke! Wasn't that a funny scene? At least the referee was actually paying attention, had he not stopped the fight who knows what would have happened.

Mitch likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Grond likes this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Awesome, that is the third time "The War" has been posted. The first two posted videos no longer work, but yours does, so thanks!! It's hard for me to not watch that fight over and over, it's better than most of the boxing fights last year in my opinion.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  7. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Want a quality fight, watch the vid

8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I hate to be a downer but there's no boxing in that fight. Good display of grappling though.

:)

IF you really want to see an amazing boxer in MMA, check out Frankie "The Answer" Edgar in his pro debut.

9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

A 90's fight of 140lb elites. Hard to watch the end, if you don't know what's coming, but try to hang through the whole fight. Suffice to say one of these guys hits a lot harder than the other, and it ends up sending the other guy to the ER after a great fight. That my friends is the reality of pugilistic art.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

"The crowd immensely enthusiastic but, not immensely knowledgeable". Howard Cosell.

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I don't think I've posted this one before. This is a good matchup of veteran and noticebly tired heavyweights.

12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

2009 Welterweight championship. No spoilers but it's pretty obvious who the winner was. Technical skill off the charts. Eye of the tiger!

[video]

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Paul Pender. What can I say about this pugilist other than he won two decisions against Sugar Ray Robinson!!

14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Evander Holyfield vs. Dwight Muhammad Qawi, December 1986. I think this is one of the greatest boxing matches in cruiser/light heavyweight history. You can certainly argue youth played a part in this title fight, but I think it was a great match-up.

15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

What makes this fight most interesting is that it's not only a world heavyweight title defense, but it's one of those great fights that you think might make it to 15 rounds and then wham, thank you, good night, thanks for all the fish. I won't spoil which round it happens in, you have to see it for yourself ;)

16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Here's a real treat. Most of the fights that come up in my recommendations are fairly recent, 20 years or so. This one I haven't seen in a long time. Independence Day, 1910!!! This is yet another Cinderella story. Veteran champ vs up-and-comer...in the end there can be only one! ;)

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This fight is 13 years old. Thai boxing against Iranian/French super bantamweight champion.

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This fight. Where do I even begin? Not only is this one of the best tank battles ever (and that pun was intended), I'm left in awe at the sheer amount of punishment these gentlemen were willing to swallow. I'm instantly reminded of how much boxing is about taking rather than lashing out, because anybody can win a fight with one solid punch, but nobody can last in the ring without the ability to withstand massive amounts of damage (well, unless you are Floyd Mayweather Jr.). I won't spoil the ending just in case you haven't googled it yet, but Round 7 of this fight was the 1991 "Round of the Year" according to The Ring magazine, which is saying something.

19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Now this fight is a definite 80's classic. The veteran Robert "Hands of Stone" Duran against the 2.5:1 favorite, a decade younger Iran, a lean mean looking fighting machine with a 74 inch reach. I love these kinds of bouts where the "old man" that everyone thinks is ready for pasture comes in a claims total boxing supremacy, again, like it was his job all along or something :D

Every minute of this fight is a master study. Roberto Duran was 84-7 with 61 KOs when this fight happened and he seemed just as ready to rule the ring as when he was a young pro. No angry scowl for Roberto, just the pure unadulterated confidence of a king.

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

A former sparring partner of mine sent me this video. One of the best things about boxing is the sheer number of videos available, compared to almost any other martial art in history.

Here we see a 15-17 year old Tyson, just shy of 200lbs by adulthood. Talk about classic fights. :D

For comparison with respect to reach, this is what a 74" reach looks like (Sam Langford) compared to Tyson's relatively short 70.5".

[​IMG]

And for extra sport, the king of reach Sonny Liston at 84"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019