Classic Fights

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

There's probably a million old threads with this theme. I just love to watch boxing, so I'd like to use this thread to share my favorite fights with everybody. This one happened 37 years ago this week in history. You'll need to watch closely probably on a few repeat viewings to see the KO punch at camera speed around 7:05, but it's a scorcher. There is a slow-mo, but it doesn't quite do it for me :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    ned and Knee Rider like this.
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

wow!

great fight! did not see it going that way. I'm definitly going to be even more minful of not dropping my jab on the return... something I frequently do when fatigue sets in.

Grond likes this.
  3. ned

ned Valued Member

Terrible quality clip but a classic fight...

Hannibal and Grond like this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: hey everyone, please remember to keep this thread in line with our TOS, you need to give commentary on WHY you like what fight you post. Just posting clips without commentary is not ok. (and just saying "great fight" doesn't count.)

Thanks!

ned, Grond and Frodocious like this.
  5. ned

ned Valued Member

Apologies for my lack of comment - that punch sort of speaks for itself !

This fight is memorable as a stand out moment in Ricky Hattons career, fighting in Vegas is always a huge occasion and a big ask for any British boxer.
    The atmosphere was amazing with 10,000 mancs making the trip over and Wayne Rooney carrying his belt to the ring.
    Castillo was a dangerous opponent with a reputation as a hard puncher who had taken Mayweather to 12 rounds and this was the first fight he'd been sent to the canvas in his career.
    After winning his light welterweight title against Kostya Tszyyu at home, over in Vegas the career defining liver punch that made Castillo step back on one knee, unable to breathe was brutal and made the American public sit up and take notice.
    I always had a soft spot for Hatton, a straight up self-depreciating fighter who referred to himself as " the fat man " due to his love of a pint and a fry up -
    a man after my own heart !

Mitch and Grond like this.
  6. DankyKang

DankyKang New Member

I'd have to go with Hagler vs Hearns 1. Just fast packed back and forth high intesity boxing that is incredibly entertaining to watch. I don't have a huge background in boxing but they seem sharp and technical and its just a pleasure to watch.

Mitch and Grond like this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is why I love boxing. I love replays like what happened after 10:00. After hundreds of punches that would have ended most people's day, and a lot of heart from Tommy Hearns, there's this part at 10:09 where one good hit, followed by a shuffle and followup game ender. Beautiful fight, but I can only give you one "Like" today. :D

8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

What is there not to like about Smokin Joe. Booted from a farm in South Carolina as a kid, he took a chance, moved to Philadelphia and became a boxing legend. The"Dog" was the local bus.

"I climbed on the Dog's back and rode through the night...it was 1959, I was 15 years old and I was on my own"

This is a one of my favorite Frazier fights....spoilers at 8:30, but please don't ruin it. Watch the whole thing.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Mitch likes this.
  9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

One of the closest fights in history that I know of. One of the biggest upsets in boxing for sure, to be followed by an even greater sequel.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I can't find the clip now, and it's not that old, but I watched an Amir Khan fight a while ago where his opponent jabbed, but dropped his hand on the return, jabbed, but dropped his hand on the return, jabbed, then ate a huge right.

The fact I can't find it makes me worried that I'm having a senior moment, and Khan never has fulfilled his early promise, but it was a great example of either a boxer who had done his homework or a boxer who learned quickly.

I still use it as an example in sparring class; find your opponents pattern quickly and punish it.

Grond likes this.
  11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

For all of you want to bees...check out the first round of this fight and then proceed onward. Oh man, the glory of boxing.

Mitch likes this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I love this fight. It takes a lot of heart to fight the great Muhammad Ali, but the sportsmanship Jerry and Ali show after the ref calls it is what boxing is all about.

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Sorry, I realized that I reposted your same video months after you did.

It's just that good! It popped up in my all-day-running feed of great boxing videos. Sorry I don't get a chance to post these often, life is short.

14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Ali's Olympic gold medal fight vs. a legendary, powerful Polish southpaw. This one is a good illustration of how technical Ali was, even before he turned pro.

Don't know why Youtube calls this his "first". It's technically his last amateur bout.

15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

All good things...

16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Here's the whole fight.

Here's the KO by the "Hawk", for the impatient. Watch both videos!!!

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Some people call this Ali's last great fight, but seeing as how it was also his third world heavyweight title victory, I wonder how much "last great" really matters.

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

One of the greatest boxing matches in recent history, and one of the sport's greatest unsolved mysteries. Whether or not you believe Arturo Gatti was murdered or not, it's hard not to love this fight, especially the legendary Round 9 (which I have also included for those in a hurry like me!)

19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Here's another slightly more recent fight. And what a great fight. This is the 2000 WBC welterweight title between old boxing comrades. There's an Easter egg if you can spot it...Muhammad Ali in the crowd!!!

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Hope I haven't posted this one before but damn sir. Good stuff.