Class Distances.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Geordie Boy, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

HOw far do you travel to get to your MA classes, and how far would you be prepared to travel?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

a few miles- but I'd be prepared to go a lot further if I had my own transport.

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

5 miles. The opposite side of the city. I'd go further if I had to.

4. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

For Wing Chun, just "around the corner" from my office downtown.

For mantis, 64 miles south of me in Indianapolis. Takes about one hour to one hour twenty minutes, depending on traffic and construction.:)

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I have travelled around twenty five give or take miles for lessons but i just can't keep that up, five miles is comfortable. My regular class isn't that far at all - just down the road in fact.

6. MsDwee

MsDwee New Member

3 minutes walk to one class, about 15 minutes walk (or 10mins jog when I'm late) to my other class.

I don't have a car so would be less likely to go to a class more than a couple of miles away, unless the bus services was direct, quick and frequent (little chance of that!)

7. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

If the teacher is worth training with (and there isn't as good or relevant tuition closer) then surely no distance is too far. Within the constraints of finances and travelling time of course. In the near future I'll be travelling 300 miles, 70 miles and 50 miles to train with different people. I'd like to go to Okinawa to train but I simply can't afford it.

Mike

8. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Once a week at least, 50-60 miles.

9. Ramda

Ramda Valued Member

Used to travel about 60 Miles once a week but now thankfully I only have to go across town about 7 Miles so I can now take class 3 times / week.

10. Southern Mantis

Southern Mantis New Member

My class is a couple of minutes by car, or about a 10 minute walk. I would travel furtehr if I had to, but tnot too far as it can be difficult to get home from work, eat, than travel far for a class.

11. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

depends with me as i am in Glasgow a lot but live in Irvine so i'm always travelling 50 miles a day so i just fit my training in when it suits. I don't mind travelling but i can't drive which isn't ideal

12. wingchunner

wingchunner Valued Member

I checked

66 miles - one way. At least once a week. I've been doing that for 3 years now. I used to only have to travel 45 min. for twice a week. But, then my teacher has changed location several times. So, I've had to travel pretty far over the past 11 years.

But, It's been well worth the trip. No complaints.

Marty

13. clutchdoctor

clutchdoctor Tae Kwon Do Do

For me its about a min. long drive because my town is really small. i guess i should just walk, but i have a bunch of people who need rides, so i just take my car when i'm done.

14. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I train at two locations ones 10 mins walk the others 30 mins. Have to admit travelling puts me off because I dont have a car

15. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Less than two miles (one way). I would travel farther if I had to, but I'm glad I don't, because my schedule is so tight.

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

15 miles, less than a half hours drive.

17. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i travel 5 mins by car it would take much longer to walk though

18. Epsilon

Epsilon New Member

Depending on my busy work schedule, I usually walk down the basement and train on my own. :D
    I'm willing to go 45 minutes away from where I live, but the Sensei/Instructor/Sifu better be pretty damn good! :mad:

19. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Now, my local class is 2mins walk down my road. Before moving to that location, it was a 2 mile run to class and often a 2 mile run back if I wasn't going for a beer...

Last year I was also driving 46.5miles West to one class and 46.5 East to another, every week.

I'm bring my car back on the road end of this month and plan to just do one of those drives - my car just drinks petrol like it was going out of fashion.

I have an all-day seminar to attend on the 22nd which is 300miles away. That is going to be one helluva long day.

Training is addictive and the more you do the further you'll go to do it :).

Rgds,
    David

20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My regular class is about a 35- 45 minute drive from home (one way). I can go to neighbor schools, one is 45-55 minutes away and the other is about an hour away. We go to seminars anywhere from 2 or 3 hours away to 6 or 8 hours away. The seminars are always relaly good and I don't mind the drive... and as a group it's pretty fun.