Christian Rock

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ncmartialartist, May 15, 2005.

1. Martial_Julez

Martial_Julez Valued Member

I thought listening to rock music was supposed to be a "sin"

I know there are few Christians out there who actually follow all that though.

2. mmaone

mmaone New Member

I dont remember reading in the Bible "Thou shalt not listen to any type of rock".

3. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

I have already given all things a good looking over and can happily say I am not and never will be in your club ...... I have just read post about the pope and Rock music ..seems there is alot of confusion about things in the Christian world.....Just my personal opinion ..nothing to get in a pickle about ....

4. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Most of the confusion is old-school vs. new-school Christians. I have worked stage security and body guard for most all of the bands mentioned in this thread, Christian Rock has a huge following, and really most of the concerts are just as crazy and as fun as any other concert, the main difference being, from a security standpoint, that the kids you are dealing with are 98% of the time sober and coherent...just having fun.

Depending on the church/religion you are talking about "rock" as a whole is a sin, which in my point of view, is ignorant, but they all have their reasons and I am the last guy to sit and judge other peoples beliefs, I just worry about my own. I enjoy much of this music from a music standpoint...the lyrics in any music to me is moot, to me it's just another instrument, I don't really listen to what is said or what it means.

"Christian Rock" is one of those subjects that you can really get a wide range of opinions on inside the church, each has their own, some people refuse change, some people love it...but it's no different than everything else, everyone has their own thoughts on the subject. Sin is in the heart of the person...not the music.

5. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

Don't know whether they're just old hat or not known where you guys are, but you all appear to be missing out on the wonder of Delirious. Especially live, loud, and improvised.

/b/

6. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Ive only heard a little Christian rock(cant remember the bands) and imho I thought it to be pretty bland and contrived but I am a bit of a music snob.I do like a bit of Gospel though.

Are there other types or Cristian music? such as Cristian Punk, Goth or techno. Just curious, Im not taking the Mickey or anything.

I wonder would The Jesus and Mary Chain and Spacemen 3 be considered Christian Rock? as many of their songs are about god etc.

7. mmaone

mmaone New Member

my wife really like delirious. Im sure there are many styles of Christian Music out there. It really has come a long way in the last few years. Rap, rock, country, gospel... "relient k" is a group that reminds me of green day a little.

8. SpecifySeverity

SpecifySeverity New Member

The Pope can only speak for the Catholic community. There are many other branches of Christianity that don't associate themselves with the Pope. In the case of many of these bands, they're mainly Christian (with Christian, i mean people who just call themselves Christians, not Catholics, Mormons, JWs, etc.)

9. Topher

Topher allo!

Of course. But i wonder where the Pope gets that view?

10. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

To the best of my knowledge, the Pope never said that rock music was of the devil.

Regarding other types of Christian music: punk, Techno, metal, hiphop, urban, traditional, yes. There are Christian bands that play those styles as well. For those in the Techno scene, may I suggest DJ Andy Hunter - one of the best among Christians and non-Christians. A lot of his stuff has been used in the background for movies/TV (backgrounds in 'Alias', among others)..

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think you're right. Wasn't it the Southern Baptists who said that, back in the 1950's?

12. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

No, actually. I've heard of some fringe groups that used that as a mantra (the same crowd that says that if it isn't the KJV, it isn't really the Bible). I know of one church in my community (of about 160 churches) that has a similar view.

I almost went in ethnomusicology as a minor. Some great insights into different cultures are available through looking at a culture's music and music history. In the USA, the roots of rock-n-roll were actually in the spirituals sung in the predominantly black churches in the antebellum deep south (same roots as jazz and Gospel). So, rock music was actually birthed out of 'church music'.

Speaking of which, if anyone on this thread loves contemporary Gospel music (not the same as Christian rock, but same roots), go rent the movie "The Gospel". The story is pretty good, but predictable, but the music is exceptional. If you know your contempory gospel, you will probably recognize half the names of people in the film, even if you might not recognize them by sight. Donny McClurkin and Hezekiah Walker have roles in the film. Fred Hammond, Yolanda Adams, 'Mom' Winans, and Martha Munnizi make appearances singing. And although they don't appear onstage, the film also features music and singing by Kirk Franklin and Joanne Rosario. For those who don't know, that's the everybody-who's-anybody list for contemporary Gospel!

Like I said, the plot is somewhat predictable. But for those of you new to the conversations/debates about Christianity in the US, it gives a great view inside a typical inner city Afro-American mega-church. So, if you want some great music and an 'insider's view' of one of the main moving forces in US culture/politics, have a look at it.

13. Topher

Topher allo!

One of the Roman Catholic world's most powerful figures has branded rock music an "instrument of the Devil" and urged young people not to listen to it for fear of endangering their souls.

14. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Christian music is like any mainstream music, it does have it's lame, fully manufactured pop bands and junk...it's not immune to that, and yes there are Christian bands in most every genre of popular music...Metal, Punk, Ska, Goth, Techno, Rock, Pop, Acoustic, and on and on and on...

15. MonkeysUncle

MonkeysUncle Shakin' like Bacon

There are Christian bands in a ton of genres. If you like classic rock or metal, Stryper is what you want. They've been around since the mid-80s and are better than quite a few secular bands strictly from a musical perspective. Skillet, Pillar, and Thousand Foot Krutch are all great modern rock/hard rock bands. Jonah 33 is also, with more spiritual lyrics. Switchfoot is more alternative, Tobymac is rock/hip hop, DC Talk and Newsboys are more rock-pop, while they have faster punk bands like Relient K and Hawk Nelson. Many of them don't have a whole lot of always talking about God lyrics etc. if you aren't into that. Five Iron Frenzy, although no longer together, was one of the most amazing ska/punk/rock with horns bands I've ever heard, secular or not. Honestly, a lot of Christian rock isn't even about religion, it's just labeled Christian because the members are Christian and the band doesn't talk about drugs sex and violence. Neither do all secular bands, but I'm just saying. Also, the pope is Catholic, which is a different religion than Christianity.

16. SpecifySeverity

SpecifySeverity New Member

Don't they think everything is the devil?

It's spoofed in a lot of tv shows. Like in Family Guy, they said that holding hands is the devil, going #2 in the bathroom is the devil. In the Simpsons, Homer pulled out a book potty training book that was titled something like, "That is concentrated evil coming out of you, you dirty, dirty child," when he was looking for a potty training book for Maggie.

I'm just guessing that he holds that view because that's what he was raised to believe. And the other Popes did it, too... Perhaps it's just the Catholic way of life.. That's just my TV-educated opinion.

17. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I wonder if Ratzinger listened to said Rock and Heavy Metal bands, so as to base his statements on some actual fact and first hand experience, or if he just came to that conclusion on his own. Having said that, I spose that that would allow evil into his soul if he listened to it then? So he couldn't actually listen to it anyway. Either way. lol

18. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

What?!?!?! :rolleyes: Christianity is an umbrella heading for many religions, namely, those that believe in Christ as their savior...Catholicism falls into that category.

19. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

[Cartman Voice] I want to get on my knees and pleasure you jesus, I want your salvation all over my face [/Cartman Voice]

:D

20. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

ROFLMAO

NK you owe me a keyboard :D :D