Choshi Dori

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu Resources' started by Dale Seago, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

In this post on another thread I said, ". . .it might be good to open a separate thread on choshi dori to go along with those dealing with kukan".

So here it is. ;)

Text of that post in full:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  2. xen

xen insanity by design

interesting you mention the amygdala...i'm reaseaching action selection in the brain and the amyglada is a salient structure of the brain anatomy i'm about to read up on.

that line is so succinct i felt i had to quote it.

lots of useful thoughts on that link (and connected ones)

cheers.

3. Dale Seago

Tonight a MAP member, whiteshadow711j, showed up for class as he happened to be in town. We weren't working on anything particularly earthshaking tonight, but I did spend the last few minutes of the class (which was unusually small, as summer vacations are taking their toll) working on a bit of choshi dori stuff. Perhaps he'll have a chance to comment later. . .

4. garth

garth Valued Member

I remember about a year ago I was watching Channel four TV here in the UK when magician Derren Browns programme came on. I can't remeber the title of the episode but in it he entered a Kung Fu Dojo and asked for a volunteer. The volunteer then stood about 8 feet away and Derren Punched the air. The martial arts student fell to his knees out of breath. Derren then several more of these type of things before moving on to something else.

For those of you who have never heard of Derren Brown, he is a magician who tends to lean towards the side of mental magic and hypnosis and uses a lot of Psychology. He does mention some NLP in his books but tends to argue against some of the findings of NLP.

Now having bought and read both of Derrens books and his Lecture tape, available through 'International Magic' Derren never once mentions that he was ever a martial artist, but simply that he is a magician, and of course explains in the books and tapes how he does some of the mind blowing stuff he does.

What I'm saying here is, if we accept that the TV punch was'nt some set up stunt, then it kind of shows that these sort of things can be performed by people not trained in the martial arts.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that martial artist won't be able to performs some of the amazing feats like throwing without touching, just that maybe psychology plays a big part. So just my two penneth and I hope this is of use.

5. Dale Seago

Certainly it does, and that's an excellent example.

More:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=587365#post587365

6. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

about the russian m.a. 'the system' do you know a link for dojo listing, i looked on that site but didn't see any links.

thanks

daz

7. Dale Seago

8. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

9. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

10. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

I had a great time training with dale seago in san fran on the August 4th and we went over this while training, it was something I had only saw once before a long time ago in my genbukan training. Using a distraction with the hand that causes the opponent to use your hand as the target to attack instead of your face/head. It was very unique as I had seen this performed but never did it myself. I fools you into thinking you are still attacking the opponent (now mind you, the enemy/opponent must commit to their attack in order for this to work) which in a way they still are but they are attacking your hand and not your body and head. It actually fools the attacker into believing that they will hit the person. I had skepticism when I had seen this back in the day. If I wouldn't have done it myself this time I would still have the skepticism, but actually doing it and having it done on me I know that it works which is pretty shocking.

The technique while very simple, works very well.

11. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

As Dale will no doubt agree, Noguchi Shihan is the master at this, you feel such a fool when he gives you his face, tells you to hit it and you end up hitting his hand because he`s changed one for the other, by the time you`ve realised, it`s tooooo late :eek:

12. Dale Seago

I do indeed agree. ;) :cool: :D

13. snake_plisskin

snake_plisskin Valued Member

Holy smokes.... So that's what that was! Ed (Martin) was showing this a few months ago, and devoted the entire Sunday class to this and variations therein.

I wasn't there for that class, but another student later demonstrated it to me. We sat around and scratched our heads wondering why it always worked whenever Ed did it, but when we did it, the results weren't quite so stunning. Okay, we actually knew why we felt so awkward and, how to put this? As though we were acting with a bit less "finesse".

Against a noncommited attacker, doing "The Noguchi" doesn't seem to work very effectively. Against me actually trying to drill my friend in the head with my fist--most impressive, as it worked even after we knew what was going to happen. And felt foolish each time, like our brains weren't doing as we'd told them to do (which was exactly what was going on, I figured).

Interesting, to say the least.

--Snake

14. Dale Seago

BTW, in the old out-of-print hardbound "purple taijutsu book" (which I've had for about 20 years, still mint condition, nope not for sale ever ever thank you very much), when Soke is showing the Sanshin no kata he refers to the Ku no kata or "Void" form as choshi dori. Note, however, that back in those days the sanshin were NOT being done with taisabaki and uke-waza first for each one: In the case of the illustration of Ku, the hand just comes up and is followed by the kick.

15. specourt

specourt Hero in a half-wit shell

Purely based on the info in this thread so far I tried this twice last night against 2 different ukes without prewarning them.
    It didn't work on the first at all, but on the second it worked like a dream.
    At the time I just assumed that my timing was better on the second attempt, but in hindsight Snakes above quote explains it perfectly. The first punch had no intent, the second was a nose-breaker.

16. Shizukanaarashi

Shizukanaarashi New Member

Typical, I take one night off and you decide to go off and do something fun on your own! :rolleyes:

Marc Moor has done this to me and often swaps and moves targets around so you end up going for the wrong one. EVERY TIME :cry:

When waiting for the uke to strike etc, he often moves a little almost subliminally, so that he messes with distancing/timing. It is virtually impossible to lamp him and I've tried, I really have. :bang: :bang: Nogouchi did it and to my shame it is only now that I am making the connection. Amazing that even 18 months after training with those guys, stuff is still clicking into place.

Mark, we'll have to have a play with this Sunday :) ;)

17. hidden_lion

hidden_lion New Member

So the uke nagashi and the footwork were added later? or are they just more pieces to the puzzle that sanshin is? Until last year I didn't realise how many variations of sanshin there were...I spent allot of time just doing it the way I was originaly taught, then it clicked that I should try it with different footwork, and now I am learning it with different hip/spine work...truly amazing how much training the "simple" sanshin no kata provides....