[Choi Kwang Do] What's Choi Kwang Do?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Intan86, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Hi, fellow MAist.

I just want to ask what is Choi Kwang Do? Is it almost the same as Taekwondo? I've never heard of CKD before and never come across books about CKD. Is it a new style? For all who knows what is CKD especially KickCick I realise you're a 2nd Deg. CKD.

Intan :Angel:
    1st Dan Black Belt Taekwondo (WTF)

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

oh Intan, what have you said? :eek:

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Not by a fairly long way, although the founder originally studied Tae Kwon Do, Choi Kwang Do is a seperate, and extremely different art.
    I believe that HQ is currently working on books, but they're not out yet, and from what I've heard will be essentially a curriculum list.
    Less than twenty years old.
    Ahem. I believe that you'll find KickChick studies Tae Kwon Do, which, as I said, is a completely different art. What Choi Kwang Do is has been discussed in the past, and you might want to check some of the old threads in this particular area. However to answer some of the standard questions:

No, we are not Tae Kwon Do.

Yes, technically Choi Kwang Do would be classified as a traditional martial art.

Yes, Choi Kwang Do is an external martial art.

Yes, it does work, however you won't have heard of it from competitions since we don't compete.

4. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

What KickChick's not a CKD Black Belt?! I think I just got myself confused. Is it from Korea too?

5. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

The Grandmaster is from Korea and it uses Korean terminology. HQ is in Atlanta Georgi USA though!

www.choikwangdo.com

6. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Thanks for the wbsite,Amiller. I downloaded the bagwork and the speed punches vid. I was quite impressed with CKD style. Its back kick looks like Tkd and the punches are similar to boxing. Like kickboxing! Maybe I'm wrong with that though. Well, that's what I think.

7. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

I just saw the speedpunches vid. It was awesome! At first it was kind'f boring because it was in slow motion and then towards the end Grandmaster Choi did it like sooo fast. My breath was like stuck in my throat. I was blown away. I never saw anyone who boxes like him. He did it with speed and power. It's just amazing! Too bad that there's only two vids.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

As far as I know there isn't a back kick, best guess is that you're referring to the side kick. From my experience its somewhat different to kickboxing as well.

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

That is a very dangerous question to ask :eek:

10. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Why is that so, Andrew? I just want to know Choi Kwang Do.

11. amiller127

Choi Kwang-Do has been a bit of a controversial topic on the forum. There have been many arguments on several CKD threads about CKD and its philosphies. If you have a few hours of your life to waste then start at the Choi Kwang Do thread and work your way to the end. Then u will see what I mean.

glad you like the videos though. Their about 14 years old now and the guy can still punch as fast.

12. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Wow!!! 14 years ago. I was like 4 then when he did the vid. Why is it controversional? Why couldn't they just accept it?

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Take a look at the other threads to get a wild idea ;)

|Cain|

14. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Just to extend a little on the vids you downloaded Grand Master Kwang Jo Choi was about 48 to 50 yrs old on that tape. He is now 61 yrs old, has lost his moustache but not his speed, power or flexibility.

CKD is a little controversial because it has some different ideas about techniques, sparring etc. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  15. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

I didn't know Martial Arts can be controversional. I thought it was only Eminem.

16. amiller127

Nope. Old Marshall Mathers hasnt cornered the market in controversy. Between polotics between different branches of the same art, different philosphies on how to train and the effectivness of different methods, you can get into some VERY heated debates.

But then debates are healthy. They help open your mind to different possibilities and ways of thinking. It broadens your mind.

:D

17. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

Ckd

I like how in the future video, the two people who are attacking him take turns :D Does CKD have ground fighting? Jumping kicks and spinning around as you may know arent that effective :D why do you think TKD takes so much crap? CKD looks exactly the same to me ;)

18. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Hey, TKD is NOT CRAP!!!

19. amiller127

ROFLMAO

:D

There I was asking the CKD people to be nice and not bring up anything that could provoke a nasty reaction from people who study other styles and along you came with that one.

It will take too long for me to answer and most of this has been covered before. Suggest that you go to the Choi Kwang Do thread and follow some of those posts first. And try and find the Andrew Green thread if its still going too.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548

And if you want, if your ever in Bristol then your welcome to pop into the dojang and then I can give you a few lessons on CKD. Its too awkward to go over on the site.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Try it. Don't just post crap to try and get an angry reaction. Actually look into it before just saying that its not effective because of jumping kicks and spinning kicks.