[Choi Kwang Do] cross training and ckd ?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Ghoul, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

can anyone out there enlighten me, whats the offical ckd stance on crosstraining, its has never been mentioned before by any of my instructers and i dont wish to be the first to ask about it
    from reading this site its become apparant that many of you ckd people do cross train, what other martial arts do you study/ have you studied in the past ?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  2. thehaggishunter

thehaggishunter Aberdeen, Scotland

Official Stance (as i believe it) - is that when you become an instructor the terms of the affiliate agreement come into being.

that says - Instructors are not permitted to promote or participate in other forms of martial arts while actively instructing at a school without prior written consent from CKDI. ................................(there is more)

Speak to your chief instructor - they are the best person to speak to and see what they suggest.

Pil Sung

3. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

THH,
    I think he was asking about the official stance on cross training in general for all CKD practioners. Therefore that cross training could include running, swimming, volleyball, golf or anything else that might help his CKD techniques, not just other MA's.

I also don't think there is a problem with students training in other MA's if they wish to do so, although you're probably right about the exclusivity thing for instructors. At the end of the day most CKD students are paying members of a club and, like most clubs or associations, they have a right to ask questions about what they're doing and how they can improve it. I think that anything outside CKD that the student feels can improve their fitness, speed and techniques should be pursued.

W

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

There's absolutely no problem with student's cross-training, you've got every right to look at other arts. Instructors are meant to ask headquarters about cross-training, more just to keep track of what various instructors are doing than for any sort of restriction from what I've heard.

5. Fat&Furry Ninja

Fat&Furry Ninja New Member

With regards to cross training and the affiliate agreement - is it not that the affiliate agreement is for the School Owners to sign?! As such, this would allow the Instructors to cross train in other martial arts (if they so wish).

I know of a number of Instructors who cross train and I would agree with "Wynnston" in that everyone one should be able to try other martial arts - as this gives a great basis of self defence knowledge in all aspects (closecombat, armed / unarmed etc) and I think that it is important that all students feel that they have the choice to explore other martial arts (if they so wish)!

6. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I see no reason you couldn't cross train, it's good for the soul(makes you sing like James Brown, well sort of...)

7. Virago

Virago New Member

I actually cross train with my chief instructor(though not in another MA) so I don't imagine there is a problem with it. I can see that training in another MA very close in style to Choi may lead to a corruption of techniques but a grappling art or one with weapons should only make you a more complete martial artist. Also(speaking only for myself)I perform the Choi techniques better when I have been cross training.