[Choi Kwang Do] CKD Questions

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by KempoFist, Mar 15, 2007.

1. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

For someone who seems to think they know a lot about CKD you seem to forget that the initial people who came to CKD WERE TKD/Karate/TMA students. They converted over because they could see the difference in power and technique.

Ive done a little sparring with TKD people. The ones ive met and sparred with dont punch that much. In fact it freaked them out that I used hand techniques.

Ive HAD TMA students come to my classes. They have done their TMA techniques on our shields. Ive then shown them CKD techniques and ive witnessed them hitting significantly harder on that first lesson.

Ive had a Purple belt in TKD who turned up for a lesson and partnered him up with my housemate who was on his second CKD lesson (no other marital art experience ever before that). Physically they were similar, but the TKD guy didnt have the power or follow through that my housemate did. He actually asked me to hold the shield for my housemate as he couldnt take the impact.

I dont know where you expeienced your CKD training from. You seem to be a little too scared to introduce yourself or your length of experience in CKD. To be honest, I dont think you know what your talking about and it would be lovely to have some facts to back your claims up.... :D. You're quick to slate CKD, but when you can't put any evidence up to back up your claims you cant be taken seriously :D :rolleyes:
    I do know however that there are not many people who have left CKD that have gone back to punching and kicking the way the USED to in TKD/KARATE etc.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I see nothing much has changed, don't suppose we've got any threads for ex-CKDers who aren't disgruntled, left the art for other reasons, and still prefer it to the other arts they've done since?

I'm actually curious about whether the syllabus has changed as I want to get back in to CKD after a rather long absence, but I'd prefer not to have to start over at white belt.

3. amiller127

Hasn't changed since you were last training Bunny....

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well that'll make things easier.

Now if I can only find my old copy of the syllabus and re-learn my patterns, I might be able to avoid completely humiliating myself when I go back to class.

5. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

Hah! I know the feeling. I had a year out due to the school I was at closing, (so I tried some other stuff in that year which was fun and I'll definitely go back to it at some stage) but coming back I had to relearn all the patterns from scratch - it's been tricky.

It's taken a good few months for me to even get near where I was at before.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

If I can track down my old copy of the syllabus, and get myself a new do-bok (I'll need to go back to a white one of those rather than my old blue which no longer even fits), and get the money for class then I'm going back.

Far too many ifs there...

7. ripface

ripface Pil Sung

Hey LilBunnyRabbit,

Hope you enjoy rekindling your CKD training, and get out of it what you're looking for.
    However "bad" you think you might have got after an extended layoff, you'll still be better by far than any newb white belts. I'm sure the patterns will come back after a few lessons ... you don't just lose them, they just fade a little!!

We just had a two day Workshop with Sahjonim. It was excellent having the opportunity to train with the founder, and ask questions and get direct answers. I'm off to tweak my side fist strike, double kicks, Il Dan pattern ... etc. etc.

:D

8. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Getting back into training after a long break is a hard task, but one that when achieved is very satisfying, not only for the student but the instructor. I have always felt that two weeks out of training = one month backward. You won't feel very confident at first but persevere! You WILL get there. See you Lilbun.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So by that count, uh, I dread to think how far backwards I've slipped in CKD... :p

Still I have kept vaguely in practice at least.

10. eedan

eedan Valued Member

Oh no, LBR! Don't do it! Run, run like the wind away from the ckd groups!!! The Universe led you away once and it is wrong to attempt to thwart the desires of the UNIVERSE!!! If you do go back to the dark side, be sure to only wear white. Blue uniforms tend to be sucked into black ones and then the whole organisational structure seems rational and normal and .... but that is the way of the cult and cult mentality. Take modern dance, instead. It pretty much looks the same and will get you much further with the girls.

11. eedan

eedan Valued Member

Oh, pleeease! I feel a bit sick. Since the word sahjonim actually relates to business managers, I guess HE was, once again, tweaking wallets. But most of the loyal ones don't notice that their wallets are lighter until much later - no pockets in their doboks :woo:

12. amiller127

Yes bunny.... run like the wind.... WE ARE ALL EVIL YOU KNOW :rolleyes:

Hmmm - the guy obviously doesnt know his MAP/CKD history :p

13. amiller127

You mean like that Sahjonim Rod Cook as he calls himself???

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Don't even get me started. You sound like a five year old who got kicked out of playgroup and is telling all of the other kids not to go back. There's a lot in CKD that I don't like, mainly in the organisational structure yes, but I have no interest in joining that organisational structure beyond possibly becoming an AI again which would allow me to teach, something I enjoyed.

Now as to your constant whining about how CKD looks like modern dance you seem incapable of realising that I actually have a basis for comparison. Not only have I tried many other martial arts, of which CKD was definitely the one I enjoyed most and have found most useful, forming the core of what I use, but my sister was an amateur dancer and I can assure you that it does not even look remotely similar.

As to getting further with the girls, as several people on MAP can tell you that's the least of my worries.

Many of the CKD people I have met are highly competent instructors and friendly people. Some aren't. I've found that in every art I've tried, there are good instructors and there are bad, but fortunately I have the intelligence to select a good instructor. If that little task is beyond you and so instead you have to simply assume that because you didn't suit the art, the art itself has let you down then I'm afraid I can be no help to you.

Oh, and have the good grace not to post like a coward, anonymously. It gets dull for all concerned.

Oh no! Someone trying to make a successful business out of a martial art! And they have varying standards between schools? Travesty! Haul out the clone vats and ban the profit-making!

I am getting truly fed up of this argument that martial arts teachers seem to be banned from living off their skills. Maybe once upon a time in fairy-land they could've lived off charity provided in the form of bowls of rice, but I'm afraid we don't live in that world any more. The world is corporate, whether you agree with that or not you need to grow up and accept that for the time being that's the way it is. Corporations are not inherently evil, maybe inherently uncaring, but if they've got a bad product then it doesn't sell and they go bust.

When that happens then you can come and whine at me about how poor CKD is.

15. amiller127

Has someone found their old "Get a clue stick"? :)

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You could say that, the philosophy threads have been mostly a warm-up.

17. eedan

eedan Valued Member

Who said anything about not being able to earn an HONEST living by teaching martial arts? Sorry, Bun, you need to get a CLUE. We are talking corrupt organisations here.

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Yes, because so much profit is made by the average instructor.

Are you missing my point completely here? I enjoy the art. I like the majority of people in it. I have problems with some of the stuff they do but I still want to do the art. I'd prefer to do CKD than something which is utterly useless, and charges a lot more than CKD.

£30 or so a month is hardly extortionate. Going to two classes of two hours each week that works out at about £3.50 an hour, go to a few extra classes as I used to do and you're cutting it down to a very cheap art.

19. eedan

eedan Valued Member

HUH? That makes absolutely no sense with regard to the original reference. Actually, martial arts instructors who are NOT affiliated with choi make excellent profit. It's just when we have to give him such a large chunk for our work that profits plummet. You can enjoy whatever you want. If it's being spanked while wearing a nappy, fine. I have no prob with that. You are trying to defend a part of a sick organisation that I don't think you truly understand. If you like the exercise, great. Go for it. Enjoy. But don't try to make ckd into something it's not!

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

All I said it was, was a decent martial art which happens to have a business attached. I happen to enjoy the martial art.

You then leapt in with your little grudge and your little axe to grind and warned me away from it for whatever reason, seemingly that you didn't make enough money off it to keep yourself happy.

At least now we know that you're an ex-instructor with a grudge. I've heard this from other ex-CKD instructors. Usually ones who quit in groups saying 'we can do better', then never get much further. But hey.

A sick organisation is one which uses child labour, or poisons small animals. Until CKD start doing that their morals aren't really my problem. If an instructor I'm learning from is happy in the art, and is teaching me well, then its not my problem that you had to throw your toys out of the pram.