[Choi Kwang Do] CKD for self defence?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Aegis, Aug 6, 2009.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hmm. I hate, absolutely hate, having videos of myself on the internet. I'm also not really sure if I'd count myself as a CKD practitioner any more. It was the art I was originally taught though, and the one which I studied for longer than any other. The problem is I get the strong impression from all of the CKD-hatred going around that my experience was non-typical.

I'll try and make it to the next MAP-meet. Not interested in doing any challenges to the death or anything like that but I'd be happy to jump in to some contact sparring. Would that be any help?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Just a little note here...

I decided that since the Advertising Standards Agency has recently assumed new responsibilities regarding the content of online adverts (including websites) that CKD warranted a brief investigation due to their claims that CKD has "proven to be the most effective martial art in the world". The ASA agree with me, and I have today received confirmation that they are going to instruct several clubs to remove the claim from their website. This will, of course, have a knock on effect for all CKD clubs in the UK, as precedent will have been set.

Not an earth-shattering result, but certainly interesting to note that the ASA is taking false advertising on UK websites quite seriously.

I would be more sympathetic if ANY tests had been done on this claim at all, but there are literally no comparative studies of the effectiveness of CKD vs any other system, with the exception of the constant comments about not "locking out" joints, which has no impact at all on whether the systems in question are effective.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

This could affect a lot more than just CKD - and that's not a bad thing.

4. Aegis

They were the first who came to mind when I read the new ASA remit. I have no doubt there will be others, and I will report them as I see them too. It's about time certain styles were held accountable for the claims they make on their websites.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You realise it won't just set a precedent for martial arts styles (if it goes through) but any website making claims about exercises or fitness routines as well?

6. Aegis

Absolutely!

7. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Aegis oh you sexy beast. Nice!

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In your face Bullshido!

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter