[Choi Kwang Do] a question about CKD reverse knife-hand strikes

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Ghoul, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

ok, i know its not the norm for this subforum, but i have a technical question, (no, sorry people this isent a question about political infighting)

The red belt hand technique, the reverse knife-hand strike, why dosent this follow the same sort of format as the white belt senior strikes, why don't they do this technique along with its side fist, and backhand variations.

If there is a satisfactory explenation why dosen't this explenation carry over to the white belt variation (conncidering the ease of thumb injory, surely the closed fist one would be better, since the thumb is more tucked in.)

or am i being stupid are all striking postures covered (not being a red belt yet i could easily be wrong, but this is how it seems)

2. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

Good question.

You couldn't do the backfist version of the strike as it would be awkward and impractical and very likely put too much pressure on the shoulder if you twisted the arm enough to use the backfist. Actually im pretty sure this would result in an injury. I have a niggling shoulder injury thats been bothering me for months due to me swerving my car to avoid a crash on the motorway. My arm turned pretty much into the position you would need for a reverse backfist and it injured my shoulder muscle.

There is no reverse Side fist either. I'm not sure why, but if I had to hazard a guess I would say that the knuckle of the thumb on the striking hand sticks out more when you make a fist and could probably lead to you putting too much pressure on it and risking injury. With the reverse KHS, if the hand is in the correct position the index finger and thumb make contact with the target at the same time, with neither being more prominant than the other. The thumb is tucked in with the index finger and wrist is downturned slightly just prior to impact to ensure you connect properly.

Hope that helped

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  3. amiller127

The world must be coming to an end now.... look outside and pigs must be flying and Hell must have frozen over.... A technical question on the CKD forum :confused:

lol

4. alister

alister Huh?

BOOORIIING!!! :D :D :D ;)

5. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

I'd agree with the thumb assessment, having done the reverse knifehand wrong a few times, it can really hurt if your thumb is the the wrong position.

Mind you it can also hurt if you misaim your normal knifehand and your little finger connects with someones elbow...

6. amiller127

If you misaim any technique you have the potential to hurt yourself. With the knifehand strike your not using your fingers as the weapon, your using the side of the hand. The little finger is too delicate to put that much impact on it as the strikes generate a lot of power when done right. When I teach this strike to my students I dont let them use a lot of power on shields and foocus mitts until they have practiced it enough that their not going to hit with the fingers instead of the side of hand.

7. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

I was trying to hit the side of a shield, as it was I missed rather spectactularly. Nice bruise came up too. :)

8. JSun

JSun Valued Member

The Kuk Sool Won system calls this strike a yuhk soo do and you flex the thumb under the hand and strike with the entire ridgeside. We start learning it as white belts and start to refine striking points at blue belt level.