Chinese Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Split_level, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Split_level

Split_level New Member

Hi

Recently came across a school near me offering Chinese kickboxing? wondering if anyone had heard of it what it was like etc? Think they teach both kickboxing and kungfu (WKA/WAKO)

Any thoughts?

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

It's probably san shou or sanda style kickboxing which means that they will mix shuai chiao techniques in with the punching and kicking. If the teachers any good it would be a great place to go.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

^^^

what he said :D

Basically imagine Kickboxing but with throws as well.

Competitions are usually done on a platform and you get points for various moves including evasion techniques and escapes, reversals. Also a throw is only legal if you hold for less than 2seconds.

4. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

WOW!!!
    Where is this place mushroom?

5. Split_level

Split_level New Member

Its taught by a guy called Chris Boughey who is the founder and the Great Britain Team manager for the WKBA ( according to flyer) website is www.nwckb.com they have places all over.
    Although Im not sure if the kungfu is as mixed into the kickboxing as that think its more separate, not got round to phoning club up to enquire.

6. kickboxingidiot

Split Level
    steer Clear like the plague
    There are purple belts (6th belt i believe) graded by Chris Boughey who havent even sparred yet!!!

They are purley commercial and just rip you off to be honest.
    They turn out the occasional good figther but for the most part you BUY your grades and not earn them.

sorry if i offend anyone by speaking the truth

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Issues:

1. 6th Degree Black Belt in Kickboxing? Unless I missed something, kickboxing doesn't have belt rankings!

2. Lots of talk about affiliations, no real discussion about the curriculum.

3. Offering gear, but no info.

No offense, but without more info, I'd have to say "stay away".

8. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

North West Chinese KickBoxing

this guy is talking out of his a***. i train under north west chinese kickboxing and its one of the best clubs around look at how many members of it are on the british team that went to canada. also chris is a well respected martail artsist. if u dont believe me buy the next issue of martail arts illustrated.

9. kickboxingidiot

LOL
    Maybe there are NWCKB members on the british team but if you can get all the way to purple belt without sparring then its a load of ****e.
    What is your FC fight record by the way? Have you had any at all?

The bottom line is that kickboxing in manchester generally sucks ass.
    The 2 major associations, Cobra and NWCKB are totally orientated towards light contact.
    Now I have more respect for the Cobra kickboxing syllabus and general standards. Cobra require you to spar for most of their gradings I believe and I think (well I hope) that they dont give belts away like sweets like NWCKB tend to do ( I have seen solid evidence of NWCKB giving belts away and am willing to give an example).
    BUT and it is a big but, I have heard Cobra instructors and high graded members slagging off Full Contact and talking about it like it is not worth doing!
    Now if that is the attitude of a "decent" kickboxing club, then stick a fork in kickboxing's credibility as attitudes such as the above are simply killing it off.

If clubs of that high profile would produce more Full contact fighters id respect them a hell of a lot more.

As it stands they dont produce many at all if any.
    Idiots like that are killing kickboxing off.
    No wonder the thaiboxers laugh at us

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  10. scottv

scottv New Member

That Sanshou sure looks neat! :woo: Nice throws and everything....like Cung Le...

11. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Which British team? They on the UK san shou squad or just some semi crap?

12. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

my fight record is 3 wins no losses and im only 14 anyway so i see as a start.
    i have lost some friendlys when i was learnnig the basics. all my comp fights where full contact. i also suggest you give me the examples.

13. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

it was the team that was in the wka in canada

14. kickboxingidiot

Hi Liokault
    The WKA canadian british team are more like "some semi crap"
    No disrespect but they were fighting semi contact points sparring and light contact continuous (l-con gets rather heavy at times, but its not FC as youre not fighting people who are FC trained in FC clubs).

Madmike says all his fights were FC, he is talking about light continuous not real FC.
    L-con fighters from manchester (and yes it is mainly manchester kickboxers i hear this from) all sing the same song :

"oh you shouldnt do full contact because you have to go to work on a monday morning"

Do amateur boxers make the same excuse? They normally fight midweek like on tuesday/wednesday nights and have hard manual jobs to do the next day.

"oh l-con is FULL Contact really"
    What a paradox eh? Then maybe they shouldnt do L-con either because of "work on a monday morning"
    Oh really? Is it really? Does that mean that you can be matched against someone with 10 FC fights just because you have had 10 fights in L-con?

LOL!!!

Madmikes knowledge of kickboxing is limited as he is naive and only 14.

15. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

most kickboxers start off doing "semi crap" as you choose to call it. also how can you use my age as a reason not listen to me? my knowledge of kickboxing comes from reaserch. so if my kickboxing is so bad which club to you train with? how many fights have you fought?
    ps i not a manc. i from stockport.

16. kickboxingidiot

In answer to your question I have had (hoping i havent missed any out) in total counting everything about 58 competitive kickboxing bouts.

There is no point mentioning which club I fight for because of political reasons. suffice it to say that in FC kickboxing the respected gyms are:
    chikara , newark, leicester, TKO , Averley, Kicks, Brighton pro am, Brighton sports gym, Heathrow , invicta , USKA, derbyshire panthers , UKCBA.

There are many i have missed out. NWCKB is NOT one of them :p

As for stockport/manchester , their kickboxing scene still sucks ass. The thaiboxers from that region i have nothing but respect for. Their kickboxers, im afraid they make a mockery of the sport and cheapen it.

As for your age it has a lot to do with it. So does your experience. I have been involved in this sport for over a decade and as well as having trained, fought, taught classes at schools&universities, having refereed,judged and matched up fights have managed fighters and promoted events.

Having done all of the above I would safely say that I know a little bit more about what you have "researched" than you do.

As for these "full contact" sorry l-con events,.. where were they? Were they on the NWCKB fight nights? I know one of the NWCKB instructors very well, he trained with us for a few years and he admits that training with us opened his eyes to a whole new dimension of kickboxing.

As for my comment on "semi crap" nothign wrong with it as long as you dont make it out to be something its not.

17. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

i have to say that its poor that you will tell everyone my club is rubbish but yet refuse to even mention yours! also today i went to my club and considering we dont do full contact it was strang to see one of our blackbelts with a full contact trouphy and i agree we have alot of great thia boxers in stockport (master sken) but the blackbelt with the trouphy kicked a 6ft 5 thia boxers ass to get it.

18. kickboxingidiot

Which thaiboxers ass did he kick???

As for comparing clubs ,....
    Here goes.

Mumtaz shaffi = 57-60kg, fought at commonwealth title level (common wealth title is 10 round contest not 1x1.5mins of mickey mouse on the mats :p)

Razor Reza Khodaei = -75kg WAKO amateur british FC champion.

Andy Lacey = 95kg+ went the distance with WKN world heavyweight FC champion twice!!!

Farhad Ali = 63-67kg , BKO champion 2001-2004, FIST Low kick champion, UKTBF Welterweight champion

Sunny "the snake" Singh = British Universities champion
    Northern Universities champion

Wonderful Wayne Betts = British Universities champion
    Northern Universities champion

People from our club have competed under :
    1.Light continuous ( we all have to start somewhere)
    2.Full contact (kicks above waist)
    3.Low kick rules (also known as kickboxing rules,... i.e. proper kickboxing)
    4.Cage kickboxing (3x3mins under similar ruels to K-1)
    5.Thaiboxing (admittedly we only fight under "european thaiboxing rules)
    6.Unlicensed Boxing
    7.MMA (only 3 of our guys have done it so far, we are 2-1 in MMA so far)

totally different C.V to your club id say :p

19. Existence

Existence Super Saiyajin :o

Reiba:eek:

20. kickboxingidiot

LOL!!!
    Was his name Yoshi Ji Soeno by any chance :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.