Chinese Kickboxing & Combat Escrima ?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by shoto-kali, Nov 19, 2004.

1. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

just want to check if anybody in this forum practicing this style? if so what can you say about it.

let me give you some info/background, im a shodan in shotokan and i decided to take a weapon class (Arnis/Escrima), the one that is close to my working place is called "Chinese Kickboxing International - Filipino Combat Escrima". Talked to the instructor and he told me that half of the class time he teach chinese Kickboxing and remaining half is spent teaching Escrima (Doce Pares/Balintawak - Inosanto lineage). I checked the wonderful google and found some link that say chinese kickboxing do teach weapon class but not specific what weapon class style.

thanks in advance.

2. moondog

moondog ch'en fake wannabe

i don't know much about chinese kickboxing (san da) teaching weapons, but i seriously doubt that filipino martial arts are part of their curriculum.

personally, i prefer balintawak to doce pares (i'm filipino btw :) )

3. Skinnyman

Skinnyman New Member

Chinese Kickboxing does incorporate weapons forms later in the sylabus, (at least were we train), butterfly knives etc,(sorry can't be more specific).
    Not sure about the escrima part tho, our kickboxing system combines the more 'modern' kickboxing styles and traditional kung fu styles which i think is where the weapons come in, hope this helps.

4. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Chinese weapons are different from Arnis. From what I know, Balintawak is Different from Inosanto style. Try asking your teacher who is his Guro in Balintawak style.

5. GCEE33

GCEE33 New Member

I have checked them out before and they seem to put more emphasis on competitions using more of a kickboxing element than weapons sparring IMO. I would highly recomend trying out Master Ariel Mosses of Manaois Systems International at 8450 W. Sahara # 112 Las Vegas 89917. The number is (702) 325-9876. They have a really impressive Eskrima sytem which flows like nothing else Ive seen.

6. Aaren J

Aaren J New Member

Hey folks. I train in Lau Gar style chinese kickboxing. Having only 2 months of experience in this style, and 0 months in any other style, I can't really say how it differs. I am getting the impression that Lau Gar chinese kickboxing, being derived from a Southern style of Kung Fu, incorporates lots of hooks, body blows and low kicks. We also use the backs of our wrists, in a similar manner to the actual Kung Fu class. There is no weapons training. I hope that a couple of years down the line I won't need one!

Helpful?

7. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

you should check with your club to see if they teach weapons, i do korean kickboxing which has weapons in it but we very very rarely do any weapons practice.
    Personally i dont have any need to elarn weapons so it dosent botehr me, but you should check with your club to see if they teaxh wepons and how often.