Chinese Kenpo?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Korpy, Dec 17, 2006.

1. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Gary, being closer in physical proximity doesn't equal close in a personal sense. I know this is hard for you to accept, but trust me on this one, it may start to help you understand some things.

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Danjo, It does not matter to me, but to you it seems ok to live under the umbrella of BS. For me it is a matter of exposing truth for others to look and find.
    Desire and investigtion needs to be done by others to convince the few that really are looking.
    The BS that has been spewed over the years will just be something others can remember, when and if it really plays out. Id say that will be sooner than later from what I am finding out.

Thanks for pointing that out you are very kind :p

3. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

So they're about to reveal secret footage of the young Mitose training in the Japanese Temple?

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

This is something you will have to find out by going to the GOE lll see if they are going to update anything, maybe pictures with/of some new information.

They may not even touch on the subject, for all I know.

That is a very busy weekend in the world of Kosho. It is a very busy month several seminars and teaching the secrets that were learned.

They are not secrets at all. The whole story is in the books that have been written by Bruce Juchnik.

Most of it is in plain site. All one has to do is read about it and know the basics of body mechanics and natural law of gravity.

For example if you are standing in front of each other and one goes NE and the other goes SW they will miss each other (both going to their right).

If they both go to their left they will miss each other. If one goes right and the other goes left they will collide, Hmmm. It is all in the training of the octagon.
    More information can be obtained here.

http://www.oldpinetree.com/kssk/

I have picked this site to allow others to see that there are many teachers of the art now, they have flown the nest and are now teaching the history and present day thoughts of how they have interpreted it.

Some give credit to where they obtained the teaching, while others don't.

Conflict with your Black Belts, is not only in Kajukenbo. Other organizations have experienced the same thing.

Yoshida, KoMatsu, Mitose are all names of family. While Kosho is about the "old pine tree".

Old pine tree= "KoMatsu Bushi", an old tune for flute or lyre.

http://www.goe2007.com/

5. nidan2

nidan2 New Member

In regard to the temple, it seems like people took away what they wanted. When Doshin So trained at Shaolin - ssu, he was more concerned about the Buddist philosophy, in conjunction with the martial training. Zen meditation played a big part in So's Shorinji Kempo. Martial training was a way to valor, wisdom and benevolence. He would not permit students without taking a vow to use their knowledge only for the "good of mankind".

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Good point.

Here is something I think is where you are coming from, it is part of the site I put a link to:

The ancient Japanese Warrior-Monks and samurai were refined men and women, diligently seeking enlightenment through the practice of traditional martial, healing, philosophical and cultural arts. The levels of stress they faced were far higher than those we face in modern society, and included the frequent likelihood of violent death. Yet because they studied the "Eight Arts", including the philosophies of ancient wisdom studied in Kosho Shorei Ryu, they were able to handle these pressures, and actually thrive on them, facing even death with no fear.

How do we forge our will, tone our body, refine our movement, focus, balance and calm our mind? What practice do we modern people typically have? What diligent holistic practice do we use to combat the stress and self-imposed suffering we perpetuate at the hand of our ego? What do most of us do on a daily basis to keep our bodies healthy, our minds sharp, our emotions joyous and tranquil, and our spirit virtuous? More importantly, how deep is the context of our life? Do we serve anyone but ourselves?

Thought this might be important to point out.

Now some are making money from the teaching and some are not. The point of it all is:

The teaching is not to see how much blood is on the floor and brag about how many they can beat up. It is about living a life and life style that when taken as a whole will show what the person is all about.

Some are able to make it work, while others have failed very bad. The teaching of the bible is not all about "Jesus" and his thoughts. It is about a culture and theirs. Then some tagged the new onto the old and we have the book of today. Very similar to Kosho in my way of thinking.

7. marlonmont

marlonmont New Member

This is a mistake, and I'll explain you why. Japaneses use four alphabets to write. They use katakana, hiragana, kanji, and romaji. Romaji would be the one I use right now. For example, they use it to learn english. Because of the effects of romaji they don't call it Kempo, but we do as a rule stablished in pronunciation. This work this way, there are different kinds of consonant sounds, in the case of the word kenpo it is not familiar to us because of the rule I mentioned before when you pronounce the sound "n" you don't have to close your mouth, but when you use nasal sounds (which are p, b, and m) you do close your mouth. These are nasal sound because they go out through your nose. For us, it is easier to pronounce two nasal sounds as the rule states than producing a non-nasal sound and then a nasal sound, try to find it out by yourself, say kempo, then you will note that it is easier to close your mouth when you pronounce m before to p 'cause it prepares the way to the next sound than when you pronounce an n before a p in kenpo, in order to pronounce kenpo you have to do a brief pause but when kempo it goes more fluently. but kenpo or kempo is the same and they japaneses concepts.see more detailed
    this is true kenpo is a japanese concept and its equivalent in chinese was chuan fa or quan fa, but the two latters are better know as wu-shu now a days. kenpo itself is translated
    ken=fist
    po=law or method
    I have found very much about it and some say that it is the law of the fist, which is very agressive to others that say it has been translated in wrong way, that the correct meaning is fist method.
    Moreover, I have to add that some people are obstinate and still think that kenpo is chinese, but it is not, it has chinese roots but it is not chinese as a concept. It was created by some japanese masters that went to china in order to learn wu-shu, then these masters went back to japan in order to their people what they had learned in china, but what they taught was their own concept of wu-shu influenced by their culture and called it kenpo or kenpo karate which could be translated "the fighting method of the empty hand." I forgot to say that in kenpo japanese clothing is used, and this clothing has nothing to do with chinese.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  8. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, "Karate" and "Kenpo" came to Japan by way of Okinawa. As I understand it, the Kanji for "Kenpo" is the same as the kanji for "Chuan Fa". It is merely pronounced differently by the Chinese than it is by either the Okinawans or the Japanese. the word "Karate": was a play on words by Funakoshi. Kara-te meant "China-hand" acknowledging it's Chinese roots. Another Kanji that was also pronounced "kara" meant "empty" and sicne the Japanese didn't like the Chinese connotations, Funakoshi changed the Kanji to call it "empty-hand". But this was all done it the 1920's and 1930's. Previous to that, the Japanese expression of the art they had learned from the Chinese was Jujutsu and Yawara.

9. marlonmont

marlonmont New Member

but tang soo do is called as the korean karate, it think it has nothing to do with kenpo, maybe it has with kajukenbo 'cause one of its creators practiced it.

10. marlonmont

marlonmont New Member

I didn't about the existance of this word, I'm a little young to know about it and I don't live the place you do, but what you say Mr.Bishop could be true, I'm costarrican and there's a word but it spells "carajo" and it is pronounce [karaho]. I don't know how to explain the meaning but I can give you an example of how to use it. For example, you say in spanish, "vete al carajo" which could be translated "go to the **** or to hell" or other example, "este carajo" = "this idiot" or something similar. I hope to be helpful.

11. marlonmont

marlonmont New Member

Thanks for the information sir, I have learned a lot today, I hope I could still learn more from all of you here. bye

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  12. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

As an aside to the older portion of this thread...

A portion of the Kara-Ho Creed: "Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate is the unity of spirit, mind, soul and body into one sphere..."

While the term Kara-Ho seems to have been "made up" by Professor Chow it does not make it less important in our eyes.

Jamey