[China] 140 protestors killed in China... as Han police clamp down on ethnic Uighurs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Jul 6, 2009.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

China has some real problems. The amount of daily demonstrations and riots is on the increase. There attempt to marginalize and persecute their ethnic minorities will come back to haunt them. It already is. The attempt at dominating it's minorities by the ethnic Han Chinese is going to be a very bloody affair that just keeps getting worse.

Now more blood on the hands of the Chinese government. The bloodiest day since the Tiannamen Square massacre.

Sad sad sad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8135203.stm

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/07/06/china.uyghur.protest/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Yeah, I was reading about this yesterday, I was amazed how little coverage it was getting on TV, in fact, I've not seen any...

3. slipthejab

The death toll has risen now... and it's finally starting to be covered somewhere other than Al Jazeera and the BBC.

It looks like it's getting worse with the Uighurs in open defiance of the police and military and the Chinese army and police rounding up all teen and adult male Uighurs.

BBC is at the moment is keeping a fairly regular update on the goings on.

The Han Chinese have apparently taken to the street with spades and batons and homemade weapons to defend themselves and the riot police and military have started firing tear gas.

What a mess. This doesn't bode well for the Uighars because the Chinese army will come in heavy handed now and the secret police will come in much harder after it's all quieted down since China has one of the most corrupt and non-transparent judicial systems in the world.

Shame.

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

5. slipthejab

This is the direct result of a totalitarian and xenophobic government marginalizing it's ethnic minorities. When the average man and woman takes to the street to throw stones and openly challenge riot police it's the sign of long simmering frustrations and it's not going to go well.

As has been noted... it's a city of 2 million people in the middle of the work day and you have armed people roaming the streets. This is egg on China's face and it's much vaunted 'social harmony' BS they trot out all the time. Social harmony is you're Han but if you're anyone else. Forget it.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I think the Chinese government is making some big mistakes, this sort of suppression of Muslims will radicalise them and soon enough they will have bigger problems in this region. This is an open invitation to Muslim militants for some Jihad. I have a feeling this place will burn.

7. liero

liero Valued Member

Do you have to be carefull about what you post slip...?

Just seeing people raiding your house during a heavy bag workout because you were critical of the government? Or is censorship not that severe?

Also. I have yet to read anything in mainstream Australian Media, They are keeping such an uprising very low key. Sad.

8. Wuming

Wuming Bored

On the BBC TV news, it got a mention, but was deemed far less important than some footballer moving to another team and some dead celebrity stories. This is a very serious story with potentially far fetched ramifications; I'd hoped for better from the BBC.

9. slipthejab

Yes I'd have to agree. It's a sad day when insanely overpaid footballers and dead maybe-paedo pop stars get more coverage than tragic situations such as this.