Chimpcheng's Log - A Simians Journey Toward Martial Immortality...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Chimpcheng, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I think you have to mix it up and cross train. No art has it all. In Kung fu there's gaping holes in groundwork. Plus, although traditional, you have to update and adapt with the times.

2. Chimpcheng

Full day of sparring yesterday:

5 x 2 min rounds with one person kitted up taking shots.
    5 x 3 min rounds boxing only.
    5 x 2 min rounds light sparring - hands and feet.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm liking the sparring rounds. Love to come up one day to have a look how you guys do it.

4. Chimpcheng

Began leisurely today with a belly full of dim sum and coke floats.

Pad work
    1 x 2 mins boxing and kicking drills

Here a number is called out and you throw that combo:

1 = jab plus low roundhouse
    2 = jab, cross plus low roundhouse
    3 = jab, cross, hook plus low roundhouse
    4 = jab, cross, hook, uppercut plus low roundhouse

This was followed with pad work consisting of CLF punches and combos - gwas, dengs, teens, pows, kups. Two minute rounds.

Timed drills
    1 x 2 mins check low roundhouse following with jab, cross alternating with blocking high roundhouse and following with spinning elbow.
    1 x 2 mins blocking sidekick and countering with a roundhouse alternating with checking low roundhouse with a jab then teen chi.

Sparring

4 x 2 mins hands only - anything goes
    1 x 4 mins hands and feet
    1 x 2 mins 2 vs 1

During the latter I slipped and took so long to fall down that I actually had time to decide that it was going to hurt bad when I land. Sure enough I think my buttocks are broken... :(

5. Chimpcheng

Warm up session with jogging, burpees, squats, leg raises and lots of arm swinging.

Kicks
    20 x Swings
    20 x Crescents
    20 x Thips
    20 x Push
    40 x Roundhouses

2 x 3 mins kick sparring

Drills
    Several pad drills including:

2 mins gwa choy
    2 mins gwa choy into sei ping teen chee
    2 mins deng choy, gwa choy/elbow

Also two man drills with application.

Stances
    Basic stances and punching to accommodate the newbie from Germany who is a Hung Gar stylist.

Sparring
    2 x 3 mins 14oz gloved sparring
    2 x 3 mins 4oz/bare fist sparring

6. Chimpcheng

Extreme cold yesterday put paid to people coming in, however, we had just enough people to get a class going.

20 mins warm up, including jogging, push ups, sit ups, dead weight drags and fire mans lifts.
    30 mins kicking in lines and paired off.
    30 mins basic punching and stance work.
    2 x 3 min kick sparring.
    2 x 3 min rounds sparring - bare fist.
    20 mins pads - CLF punching.
    1 x 5 mins hard contact sparring with 14oz gloves.
    20 mins forms.

7. Chimpcheng

Xmas shutdown at the moment which is just as well as my training is over, at least for the short term.

Having knee problems, have been for some time, and was sent for x-rays this morning. Won't know the results for about ten days or so...

8. Chimpcheng

Thanks to a busted knee (pain when bent under pressure and crepitus) my training now consists of a series of physio exercises. Blows... :(

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That sucks! I can empathise with your knee pain!

10. Chimpcheng

A month and a half on and I'm still out of training, however, the physio agrees that my knee is getting better. There's still some weakness when bending under pressure, but I am now able to walk up and down stairs without having to use the handrail or favouring my stronger leg.

I'm going to ease back into training starting with holding pads for others. Doesn't sound like an awful lot, but it'll get my legs moving and shuffling before I even attempt to throw kicks and the like.

11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Glad to hear your knee is recovering. Hope you have a nice and speedy recovery mate!

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What he said^! :D

13. Chimpcheng

Thanks guys, appreciate it. The crepitus is still there, probably always will be, unless they remove the knee cap and shave the edges or something... Think I'll give that a miss thanks...

14. Chimpcheng

Finally felt my knee had improved sufficiently to get back into a bit of light training - three or so months of knee exercises was starting to make me stir crazy.

I didn't accomplish as much as I was hoping, I found that low stances are a no-no, kicking has to be more controlled than usual and even then I can't kick pads with full force just in case the knee buckles, and, of course, generally fitness and cardio has gone down...

Still, it's a start...

15. Chimpcheng

Figured I'd continue with my knee recovery with a bit of 5 on 1 sparring, it was also my birthday as I had to expect the "birthday bumps".

Thanks to the knee and advancing age, I find that stopping when finding gaps between multiple attackers is difficult. The sudden stops and change of direction was felt on my bad knee.

Still, it was a good, fun experiment. :D

16. Chimpcheng

My knee feels like it has snapped again after attempting kicks yesterday... It's burning up a bit... :(

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Just seen this on Twitter. Hopefully it is just a twinge this time.

18. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

God that sucks, might want to get it checked out. Hope you feel better soon.

19. Chimpcheng

I'm slightly concerned that this could be it for my martial arts...

Maybe I'm pushing myself too hard, but I'm only doing the bare minimum, gentle jogging, light skipping, kicks, some pad word... Can this be enough to derail my knee getting better?

20. Chimpcheng

After a lengthy lay off and several false starts thanks to my gammy knee I decided to simply throw caution to the wind and embarked on a semi tough session, which consisted.

1 x 2 mins of dips/bench hops
    1 x 2 mins push/side/spinning side kicks on kick shield
    1 x 2 mins boxing drills on focus mitts
    1 x 2 Thai kicks on Thai pads

Followed by a repeat of the above at 2mins 30 secs with an additional round of bag drops.

6 x 3 mins gloved sparring (rotating partners)
    6 x 3 mins open hand with kicks (rotating partners)

Forms.

My knee is surviving so far but my buttocks and arms ache..! :(