Chimpcheng's Log - A Simians Journey Toward Martial Immortality...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Chimpcheng, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Taking a slight departure from our usual classes today (one of the lads was getting married) we had a smaller amount of people in which to test things out...

After the usual kicking drills we moved onto pad work - drilling the boxing combo's and throwing in your classic CLF punches (pows, dengs, kups, gwas, and a bit chap choy) - we quickly moved onto "multi-station" pad work.

Station 1: Double front roundhouses followed by a back round.
    Station 2: Sweeps, slams or takedowns against an unhooked punch bag.
    Station 3: 2 x Pow, kup, kups.
    Station 4: Defence against roundhouse, step through into sei ping and drop.
    Station 5: Push or Side Kick.

All of the above x 5 rounds.

This certainly got the heart pumping before sparring and forms - well you gotta keep the traditional alive :D

Ended the class with the usual bare knuckle sparring (seniors only). Good laugh...

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

CMA is cool. Even the terminology sounds like a full on Batman fight!

Good stuff Chimp :)

mitch

3. Chimpcheng

OMG!!! I've been a comic book fan most of my life and a Kung Fuer for over half and I've never, ever thought about "Batman" themed kung fu punches. Awwwww man.

Sadly, I was showing off a bit by doing double leg takedowns (from my MMA classes) rolled off the mat as I didn't time it well and made my left elbow all twangy...

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Some nice work there Chimp! :)

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I think I like the look of what you're having there! Wonder if I could get my instructor to bring his heavy bag to a session... :thinking:

Another thing, would you mind describing the punches in little more detail? And what is this "sei ping" you speak of?

Just curious. :Angel:

6. Chimpcheng

Thanks man.

Let's see, pow choys are essentially wide uppercuts traditionally thrown with a forward moving "deem ma" stance (think bow stance). A kup choy is a sweeping punch, again thrown in a deem ma stance, with the "inner" surface of the fist being used to strike.

Maaaaan, punches are easier to show than described. Anyway, in this particular set up, shorter ranged stances and swinging were used. Emphasis being placed on speed and power.

Sei ping is simply the horse stance. Rather than a static stance, it is quite dynamic. Correctly places of your feet/legs and you can have someone on the floor with a twist of the waist on shoulders, as I found put much to my dismay as a newbie.

The heavy bag takedown drill was snatched from my MMA classes. I find MMA mixes well with CLF. In fact my MMA instructor showed us techniques for taking a Kung Fuer or similar to the ground if they dropped their stance/centre of gravity making your attempted trip harder...

Hopefully, as my log continues I'll be able to post pictures and/or video. :cool:

7. Rand86

LOL, I hear ya. Believe me, I've looked all over YT before coming here to give you grief. ;)

Much obliged for the answer so far.

8. Chimpcheng

I guess the problem is with the English spelling of Chinese named techniques and postures. However, I'll do my best to describe what is going on in future logs.

9. Chimpcheng

Haven't been back to training at all this week. After Sunday's escapades I've damaged my elbow a bit and realised that I also have bruised toes from mis-kicking friends during sparring. :cry:

Still, depending on who is training this weekend (whether it's a mix of newbies or seniors), the lesson plan will be as thus:

1. Warm up and stretching.
    2. Kicking drills in lines and with partners.
    3. Kick sparring.
    4. Basic Stances (if newbies are present) otherwise straight into punching.
    5. Pad work with partners.
    6. Gloved up sparring in pairs or muliples (depending on who is present).
    7. Forms
    8. Bare-fist sparring and/or wooden dummy.

That is, unless my Si Fu is present, in which case there is a huge emphasis on the traditional, whereas I like to focus on the "hitting people" aspects of CLF.

Still, makes for an interesting class and keeps people busy... :)

10. Rand86

Nothing wrong in knowing where things you're learning came from, if only because it can give you an idea where YOU should be going. ;)

11. Chimpcheng

The Great North Run was on today, so the number of people who made it into class was limited. The class was as follows:

1. 20 mins warm up and stretching session.
    2. 30 mins line kicks interspaced with kick shield work.
    3. 30 mins pad work - CLF and boxing

Sparring followed which consisted of:

1. 5 x 5 min rounds x 3 different partners.

Marvellous...

12. Chimpcheng

One of my knees is acting up (probably due to old age :( ) so I couldn't partake in the fun and games yesterday. However, the lesson plan was as follows:

1. Sets of kicks followed by using those kicks in light sparring and on shields.
    2. 3 x 3 mins hard contact kick sparring.
    3. 2 x 3 mins hard contact sparring. Then 1 x 5 min final round.
    4. Forms.
    5. Weapon training - butterfly knives, Kwan dao, Tiger fork, broadsword, staff.
    6. Wooden dummy.

13. Chimpcheng

Following the usual pattern if kicks and pad work, we continued with some blocking drills with partners. Taking turns, one of you is placed against the wall and then put under pressure as your partner launches punches while you defend only.

4 x 2 minute rounds of defence only
    2 x 2 minute rounds of boxing only
    2 x 2 minute rounds of punching only

Weapons and hand forms...

14. Chimpcheng

No sparring today, instead it was a very traditional class beginning with the usual kicks, two man drills, punching, then forms. One of the Si Fu's came up with his son so the fun stuff (sparring and head butting bags) was off the menu.

15. Chimpcheng

Smaller class today as we had the double whammy of a home game and Rihanna in town.

Anyway, we did the following:

Warmup
    5 x 10 sets of Front leg raises up and down the hall
    5 x 10 sets of Sidekicks up and down the hall
    5 x 10 sets of Push kicks up and down the hall
    5 x 10 sets of Roundhouses up and down the hall

Sparring:
    3 x 3 mins free sparring

Padwork
    2 x 2 mins jab/cross combo only
    2 x 2 mins jab/cross/hook/uppercut combo
    2 x 2 mins jab/cross/hook/uppercut combo with deng choys

16. Chimpcheng

Had the added bonus of broken fridges in the hall we train at today resulting in a smell so bad that some people decided to train outside and one guy went for a run just to get away from it.

Anyway, attempted to conducted a class with all the usual good stuff but I started the newbies off on the wooden dummy.

Started with:

20 x Chuin Saus (alternate arms)
    20 x Arm swings
    20 x Chuin into Sau Choys

You could see them hitting softer and softer as time went on, so I had to abandon the deng choys.

Still, gives them a taster.

17. Chimpcheng

Lion dance took place today so we started late. However, once warmed up we did the following:

* 2 x 3 mins rounds x 5 different people light bare fist sparring.
    * 1 x 3 mins "piggy in the middle" sparring (on rotation)
    * Forms.

I'm currently covered in scratch marks thanks to a "friend" hitting me with tiger claws..!

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

what style do you do mate?

19. Chimpcheng

Choy Li Fut with MMA as my side style. It helps when you get too close. Lol.

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Cool man!

It's good to mix traditional and modern stuff. Feels like more variety and you start to get creative with crossover and techniques.