Chickened out.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by hewho, Apr 7, 2018.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Drove over to an MMA club locally Thursday night, was very nervous on the way there. Been a long time since I've done proper full contact stuff regularly. Got there and realised I only had card, and they didn't take card payment. They offered to let me pay next session but I basically panicked and walked out, saying I didn't want to owe money or something. I've been thinking about competing again, and I think I put too much pressure on myself, thinking it would be make or break. Next session I can make will be Monday night, or Tuesday daytime, so I'm going to go. Has this happened to anyone else?

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

No, you're the only person to ever chicken out of anything :p You said you're going to go back anyway so lighten up on yourself :D

hewho likes this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

If it helps you in any way: I chickened out of two (I think; I feel like there should be a third) trial trainings.
    I only wanted to check out the clubs.

I still at times have to fight to go to my Judo-class also.

Then again, I might not be the best example. But at least it's true, I did that. And do.

hewho likes this.
  4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Thanks both. I'm nervous every time I try somewhere new, but this is the first time I've actually not gone through with training. Still, there's next time!

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I turned heel and walked (ran) from a dance class twice before I plucked up the courage to join. Anxiety is a natural human reaction to any unfamiliar situation (or even once-familiar ones we haven't experienced for a while). Cut yourself some slack, laugh it off, and give yourself another chance.

hewho and David Harrison like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I got nervous going to my own regular club more than once. For one reason or another I just couldn't pluck up courage to enter.

hewho likes this.
  7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

By creating this thread, you have taken complete and public ownership of your decision to 'chicken out' which is a pretty open and honest thing to do.
    You are clearly under no illusions about your actions, nor are you trying to justify or make excuses for them, which for me is a positive.
    Nerves and uncertainty are only natural, but self analysis and introspection seem to be a rare thing these days.

Next time might be no different, nor might the time after that, but eventually you'll find your comfort levels again - Just keep going as far as have, until you are ready to go further.

Travess

Shmook, Monkey_Magic, hewho and 2 others like this.
  8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Just for piece of mind, you aren't going to get battered at an MMA club. You'll likely just be drilling rolling and doing tech standup - nothing you haven't done before in spades. Chill. You'll be absolutely golden! :)

hewho, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Kudos for putting it out there!
    I would say anyone who didn't feel anxious on occasion about going to class would be lying (probably to themselves foremost).

I've had occasions going to class where I had that sinking feeling, justifying to myself that I didn't want to get hurt, or over worked or similar.
    I went through a spate of going to a new club every few weeks to see what was around, and it was always worse when trying something "new".

From what I recall, you have done grappling styles, and boxing? so like kneerider wrote, it's nothing you haven't been through before. :)

hewho and David Harrison like this.
  10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

What's odder is that I'd actually trained there before about 3 or 4 years ago. Annoyingly I can't make any of the beginners classes, but I'm hoping I'll be okay. If not, just got to keep training. Thanks

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  11. Knee Rider

You're in shropshire aren't you? Im from there. Where were you looking if you don't mind me asking?

Edit - I'm not there anymore though. I grew up in Shrewsbury.

12. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Bridgnorth boiiii! Love Shrewsbury though, beautiful town! Looking at Combat Athlete in Ketley. If I had the time to go regularly I'd go to SBG Shrews, but with the work schedule being what it is, £5 a session for MMA that's half the drive away makes more sense.

Knee Rider likes this.
  13. Knee Rider

Sbg Shropshire is definitely worth the drive if you ever can!

Don't reaper still have jitz and Thai?

Enjoy your next session on Monday :)

14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Reaper still do Thai, but just changed their timetable round, and I work too many of the times for it to be worth the monthly price, as good as the training is.
    Cheers, I will!

Knee Rider likes this.
  15. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I went on Monday night. It's a beginners session, no sparring, no rolling, about 10 minutes of fitness, then we went through 4 takedowns, spending about a minute on each. Then we did takedowns from the cage, which was completely new to me, and quite enjoyable! not too bad, probably stick to the beginner ones for now, as I have a comp coming up and don't want to be knackered from sparring, but will have a crack at the sparring classes soon!