Chiba Shinichi

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by JibranK, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

A blast from the past!

I just saw this photo of Chiba Shinichi, probably my favourite chambara and martial arts actor of all time, with Ishizuka-sensei and Hatsumi-sensei. Does anyone know more about this? I would be curious to hear more and, of course, see more photos if anyone has them!

[​IMG]

I know he had a rather distinguished career as a martial artist, as a personal student of Oyama-sensei, Doshin So, and several other luminaries of 20th century budo. There's also a book (目で見て学ぶ居合道 新陰流) about Shinkage-ryu iai by Oyama Masao from about a decade ago, for which he wrote the introduction. (I'm honestly tempted to get it before it goes out of print to get a Japanese friend to translate that introduction for me.)

Now, a little Iga vs Koga action for the youngsters who haven't seen the man move. (It's not the best clip of him I could find online, but I thought it was a better fit than his Kyokushin).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WybDuCzmsMA[/ame]

2. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

Looks like he got Yon Dan

3. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Looks like it. I am curious to hear more about his training, who it was with, etc.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

And a ring?

5. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

That or some sort of commemorative pin.

Damn it, opening this thread again has got the campy but amazing intro music from Kage no Gundan stuck in my head!

6. Plusminus

Plusminus Valued Member

Hello.

From what I know, the yondan was honorary. Hatsumi Sensei had some involvement in "Kage no Gundan" as technical advisor.

7. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

A necro-post of sorts, but the great Sonny Chiba passed away a few days ago, having caught COVID and pneumonia.

8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

axelb likes this.