Chi kung can increase maximal strength

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Putrid, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That also ties in with my ongoing "tensegrity" theory

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Positive thinking works better:

Taken from http://www.womens-law-of-attraction-solutions.com/brain-exercises.html

4. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

5. Pretty In Pink

But chi doesn't exist.

I'm sorry, my sarcasm didn't come through in my original post :(

6. Hannibal

Chi doesn't (IMO) but the positive effects of chi gung are not limited to belief in that type of fluff.

My Si-Hing talks about "body feel" and how his practice of Chen Style allows him to functionalise his whole body by being "in touch" with it...this ties in with the tensegrity/good mechanics approach that I subscribe to

7. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

We don't know if chi exists or not but even if it does its got nothing to do with the results of the study."Chi kung" is a blanket term for various forms of exercise,some are useful and others are completely ridiculous.The useful forms generally involve hard physical work rather than some feel-good hippy type activity.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Interesting. i'd like to see a study done on it but i think i already know why the techniques would work. its similar to sport psychology techniques of visualisation and imagery to increase neural pathways and kinasthetic focus/awareness

9. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Correct.The interesting thing is that one or two high level Chinese martial artists,such as Wang Xiangzhai,were doing this around a hundred years ago.Wang also rejected the concept of chi as he saw it as outdated.

10. Pretty In Pink

It probably is a great method for recovery, I've seen friends do warm-downs that lasted half an hour, claiming it helped recovery, I believe that this could be a similar affect.

Also, I'm sorry for dismissing you so early, it's not cool for me to do that. I just have trouble believing such a thing as "chi" can exist.

11. Hannibal

Chi as energy doesn't

Chi as a description for physical skill does

12. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Like I said,there are hundreds of different methods of chi kung and some are appropriate for warm-downs but I think in this case Zaad was right about an increase in neural pathways.