Chi explained

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by cheesypeas, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Like it. :D

IMHO Simply, electromagnetic flux detectable in and around living things.

Consider a protein molecule: It's constituent electrons, protons and neutrons are arranged in such a way, unique to each protein, that on reaching it's site of action spontaneous folding occurs resulting in that protein's characteristic 3D configuration. This folding is achieved via electromagnetic interaction of the constituent atoms (due to their very nature i.e. electrons are viewed as electro-negative) and settles into the lowest energy configuration - which happily coincides with the biologically active conformation thanks to evolution. All the electromagnetic fields emanating from the constituent parts sum to give an overall field for that protein molecule.

If all the protein-molecule-fields (including those from other bio-active substances present e.g. water, lipids etc...) are also summed you should arrive at a electromagnetic field characteristic for any particular organism. I believe these fields are now detectable albeit very weak.

When one considers molecular movement within an organism the picture gets more complex. As the molecules move so does it's electromagnetic field thereby perturbing the summed field in which it moves.

Furthermore, arm movement was mentioned earlier. I think we can all agree that muscle tissue is necessary. Muscle fibres are protein in nature. Proteins act by changing their shape electromagnetically. If enough act together gross bodily movement results.
    Electro-Lifeforce perhaps.:D

In my view, the atoms and molecules comprising a living organism are merely the 'nut and bolts' of life, the shadow of where life has been. Life is a process not a tangible thing.

2. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Taiji Butterfly - Yes, there are no "internal energy" without of the mind!

Fugepilot - Qi is not directly detectable! How I said I don't know if Qi exists or is only a "synonym" for the changes in the physical world (i.e. body).
    Yes, in the body occours electromagnetical changes, but this is not Qi (this is its consequence)! Qi was named as the missing link between the "mind" and the "body". If we understand the quantum physics ther is no more need for Qi, because there are only energy (mind) and matter (body) and the distance (Qi) is not important.

3. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

My bad. :eek: (didn't mean to imply such)

Interesting stuff! :) Moreover, I do feel that Chaos/Complexity Theory fits in somewhere. :Angel:

4. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

My teacher (see sig) says that we canot directly sense what he call forces (rather than energy) moving through the body, only the result of those forces moving, ie pressure, heat, movement of the joints.
    The classics also say that mind leads, body follows, or mind-energy-body. You have to have an intention to move (mind) and the energy to do so, before movement can occur. Chi is only a small part of the process - or is it the sum??
    When you have a strong intention (to move), the awareness of what is happening is diminished, so it is hard to feel the results of any movement. When you have strong awareness of the body, the intention cannot be strong. There is a mid point, where there is moderate intent and moderate awareness.

5. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Yes, probably the term "Qi" was used to connect the cause (mind) and the consequence (body). The Qi was (and still is) used to name the changes in the body. Mybe the answer is in the quantum physics, but also maybe not! :cool:
    I believe that Qi is imaginary subject used to name something that has (for now) no answer!

6. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

No CHi = No Life

Thanks Tcgohan .. This is a nice explanation. I'll have to ignore the 'sceptics' argument about "chi/electricity/energy" They obviously have never had a magical kiss before !

Ω

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

FusedRoot,
    It normally takes someone atleast 50 posts to reach a 10 on the cheese-o-meter. I think we may need a new scale for you.

The Bear.

8. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

Chu'anz

:cool: I remain Ω

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

You remain a letter from the Greek alphabet :confused:

That must make gettin' on a bus tricky, like what fare does the driver need to charge you when you get on the bus (assuming that you do) and things like that. You know, the important stuff.. :)

Let's not even get into the problems of buying trousers or wearing skirts for the bow legged and round .

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  10. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

I see you edited your post at 4:15 ... getting the wording just right, I assume.
    ....have you no words to add to the explanation of bioelectricity or Chi.

∏ Rules

11. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Martial arts are not accademic pursuits they are learned through the pores of the skin in the dojo.

regards koyo

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yea you assume right. I don't like to shortchange people with the inferior wording I'm always guaranteed to initially spout. I suck!!

No, and neither do you it seems.

In your imagination maybe yes.. :)

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

btw is it really 4.15 in your part of the UK or are you a time bender ?

14. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

:Alien: Thanks.. Cloudhandz Imagination is key.
    - "Hands waving in clouds" gr8 4chi genera8ing, 9ice feelinhuh..

π ∏ Keep Leapin'

15. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

Martial Arts academic pursuits are key especially in the areas of anatomy & physiology ... and the spiritual principle, which ever form it takes.... especially when reaching the Mastery of your chosen field...History to Meridians to the Cardio-Vascular System.

However I cannot confirm this as I do not follow the formal systems of the "Martial Arts" I am Following my own invention.
    Bare-foot, outside..(only) : informal, and made up, yes ....in-part Like everything.

∆ =∞

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yep i think imagination is a great thing, in its context and place 100%. But delusions and nice feelings when it comes to martial arts is way out of place. When someone whacks you upside the head that nice feeling counts for diddly squat!

Imagination has its place in the creation and evolution of training and execution in fighting systems yes!

See also the classics, they state the mind should not be on the feeling of qi..
    Error!

My ' hands waving in clouds' are not to generate a nice warm and fuzzy feeling for me to enjoy.. But to each their own.

If i wants to generate a nice feeling I getz it rocking with my lady loves. seen?

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Are you practicing your own made up tai chi then ?

Is it also that you are practicing this as a martial art ?

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

study of anatomy and physiology may supplement the kind of training koyo is refering to. Training you probably have never had by the sounds of it. It certainly isn't key to the execution of martial arts.

You learn all you need to know regards the martial persuit in hands on training with other people and your own training. Acedemic persuit will never be anything but academic!

19. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

Yep .. you put that right ! & me too..

well, Fusedroot still remains overwhelmed with the different states of Chi power vs Adrenaline vs emotion ... vs madness ... I do believe the best of the best have odd aspects... and thereby powers ..
    π˘∏ Fusedrøøt :)

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Are you saying the last 3 are ' different states of 'chi power' '. If not maybe you should be saying that. In fact drop the 'chi' and just say 'power' or just plain power.

yes interesting sentiments there..

The worst of the worst also have odd aspects don't they?.. and thereby suck big fat chi balls.

A bit like peadaphiles and serial killers have powers ya think? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.