Chest popping

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Roual, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

I remember a thread from a long time ago in which someone was a little concerned because their chest 'popped' at certain times (kind of like clicking a knuckle, but happening to the chest).

The general concensus was that it's nothing to worry about, mainly seeing as the top of the ribcage fuses with age, so it's probably something to do with that.

Personally, my chest has popped for years, normally after I've been sitting hunched over (I know, bad posture) and straighten up and pull my shoulders back.

Recently, it's been happening pretty much every day, sometimes more than once, and this morning I woke up with a sharp pain in my chest that took a few minutes to get to the point where I could move more or less normally. It still feels tight now, 2 hours later (hasn't popped yet though). It's not a muscular pain, more structural (feels like I need my ribs cracked open a little bit).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it went away with time or they did something specific about it. And before anyone suggests going to see a doctor, no chance. The doctors around here are pretty much useless (an opinion that was recently verified by a friend of mine, who is recovering from severe ME, severe as in spent a few years in bed because of not having enough energy to move, being told basically that it's all in her head as there's nothing physically wrong with her).

2. path_one

path_one steps taken

I have had this happen sometimes, only the popping part though. my posture isn't that bad and is a lot better than it used to be and I have noticed that there is less popping these days. maybe that's a solution?

3. path_one

path_one steps taken

and I first though this was about breaking and poppin' :p

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  4. Roual

I try to maintain a good posture, but since I work infront of a computer all day, I inevitably end up leaning forward to concentrate on a tricky bit of code (or to read posts on MAP when I should be working ;) )

5. path_one

path_one steps taken

man sounds like we're doing the same thing!

I take every opportunity to leave my desk, fixing a printer, pc etc

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm no expert in this, but as I understand it most cracking and popping noises the joints make are the result of stretching the area that contains the synovial fluid (joint lubrication). This causes gases to escape from the synovial fluid and creates the popping noise. AFAIK, it's harmless unless accompaied by any pain.

You'd be amazed at which joints I can crack. If I twist my back in the right way I can crack all my vertebrae one after the other like a machine gun going off. :D

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Try 10g fish oil a day and some posture work. Check out the neanderthal no more series on t-nation for some good advice on keeping good posture.

8. Roual

Yep, I can do that too :rolleyes: I think it's a yoga pose that does it for me (don't ask which one, I've never done yoga). Thing is, this morning, it was painful, and still is (still hasn't popped yet).

9. wayne649

wayne649 allie of the night

try swapping your computer chair from a swiss ball, i hear thats really good for your posture, makes you engage muscles and whatnot.

10. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

now, don't get me wrong, i believe fish oils should be taken by everybody, whether they are sedentary or active, young or old, for their many benefits w/ inflammation, brain function, insulin levels and metabolism, heart health, and now there are studies that even show it has benefits when it comes to prostate health, but why in particular are you saying fish oils in this case? is it the inflammatory properties of it?

11. Roual

I do take fish oil already (not sure on the amount though, and tbh it does depend on if I remember to take it), and I do work on my posture, it's a lot better than it used to be, but it still slips occasionally, normally when I'm concentrating on something on the screen or tired.

I like the nehanderthal no more series, I'll have to go back and read it all again (thanks for the reminder). Actually, I'm generally a fan of Mike Robertson, especially his Magnificent Mobility DVD (anyone tried his Inside-Out Warm-Up book, and is it worth the money?).

Anyway, thanks for the responses everyone, worringly, it's still hurting this morning, if it doesn't sort itself out by monday, I'll probably give in and go see someone.

12. beatrix

beatrix New Member

The popping in my chest started when i had 23-24 years, and never before in my life. I started sport activities with 22. Today it happens sometimes to pop when i wake up in the morning, so i guess it is from my side sleeping position. There is sometimes when it hurts and i cannot move normally until it pops, but mostly it is without pain.
    I think the popping is nothing serious, it is just a positive thing after years of stretching (yeah and try some chest stretching when you feel that it should pop and you feel pain, it will help).

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

A much lower dose won't really a do a great deal. 10g a day is a reasonable amount when you look at the research.

Magnificent Mobility is a godsend mate. While you should be doing that every day, you can't spend hours upon hours sitting at a desk then expect 15 minutes of mobility work to make miracles. You just have to make changes somehow.

14. Holmes

Holmes Valued Member

My chest bothers me and pops all the time(starting having the problem when I started BJJ)I just deal with it ,the doctor's hear are useless too