chest expanders

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 6footgeek, Feb 13, 2011.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

i just acquired a chest expander and looked up a few techniques on how to use em. but i wanted to ask ppl here who've used them about how good they actually are as a work out tool?
    I already do have some weights and use them if any one wonders.

Also they are the spring ones, i hear that ppl prefer the cord one but well nothing can be done about that now

2. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Gym membership out of the question? If your talking about what I thi k you're talking about those things are dangerous

3. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Chest expanders don't work, and if they do work, they only work while you're going through puberty and the cartiledge between your ribs and sternum hasn't fully solidified yet (if I remember correctly).

Don't do it. You wouldn't buy a thigh master would you? No less silly or effective.

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi - use them to work the muscles in one of two ways - either lots of light reps or pull as far as you can and hold for as long as you can. Like most pieces of exercise equipment they can be used in a wide variety of ways - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ650K_eO7c"]YouTube - Chest Expander workout (short)[/ame]

As long as you don't do anything that injures yourself then all exercise is good exercise - well better than sitting on the couch eating cheesecake - which is what I'm going to do shortly :)

5. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Ah, well if you're working your back with a band that's one thing (a good thing).

I was under the impression you were trying to get your rib cage expanded to make your chest bigger like the old school bodybuilders used to do with the spring devices and lots of dumbbell pullovers.

6. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Thanks for the vid robert =)

nah i'm not looking to increase my chest width, i just wanted to know if they were any good as working out your triceps, back and biceps if i do the various exercises with them.
    mainly though i was looking to exercise my back. triceps chest and biceps i can do with the dumbels i have. They're good for back muscles then?

Also if you guys have any exercises i c an do with dumbells for back write em down i'll look em up =)

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

My condolences. You're not alone- I have a bullworker somewhere...

8. rivend

rivend Valued Member

A new ab machine I seen advertised on TV looks like it works on the same principal as the old bullworker.The person sits with this device anchored under their legs and then they bend/do crunches against the weight of the device.If and when I see it advertised again I try to post a picture of it. But the difference this has a wider top and bottom than the old bullworker shaped like a big half moon.Looks like it may be a good idea for working the abs.

I half various length rubber type band exercises and use them for stretches and my flexibility. But maybe the original spring type chest expander was named wrong way back when. And the advertisement name of it gave the impression it would expand your chest.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

There are very few good exercise machines advertised on TV. The really good ones, the ones that work aren't advertised because there is no need for it. The one's shown on TV by some buff model, who usually wouldn't touch the thing if they weren't being paid too and certainly didn't get in shape with it, are aimed at a market of people looking to spend a few quid on a product which promises amazing results but won't deliver and certainly isn't the best route to get in shape. There is a whole industry churning out these machines constantly and the recycling of ideas keeps this momentum of fresh products going so the products keep selling, especially when they can sell a slightly altered old idea as an improved version of that old product you tried with no results.

This made me laugh, the only time I used one was when I was a teenager!

10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Apart from Chuck Norris' multigym, of course

11. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Yes but that's just a normal multigym that had Chuck for a training partner.