Checking out a MT Gym.

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by KaliKuntaw, Dec 10, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Ive been training with people via private lessons and seminars ( JKD and Muay Thai) for some time.
    I decided to check out a gym not too far from me, about an hour and 10 min from my home. I am hoping it will be a good fit for me. I still plan to train with my present coach but i want to train in other places besides my home gym. I hope this place is affordable. The place has fighter that fight locally so itwill be cool to train with fighters again.
    I dont want to name the school as yet.
    I am hopin it is a good spot to pt!

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Good luck, I hope it works out for you! An hour and 10 minutes away isn't what I would call not far, 140 minute or so round trip sounds like a lot of driving. You must be really dedicated to consider it.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I've always idolised kyokushin karate but there'd never been a good outfit close by. Recently, I got an email from the owner of a Kyo school of good repute (from MAP members) that they were opening a branch around 45min from me...

Even that is a long way when one thinks it through. Its tight enough getting to our MMA place 15 - 20 min drive, on a day to day basis.

You should think it through. You'll end up missing classes and that will become a bad cycle.

That's a lot of snow to drive through on chilly nights after a good hiding.

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I live in the deep woods of CT. If you want to go to a good martial arts school there is no other choice but to drive to RI or drive to the west side of CT.
    I dont miss training sessions Belltoller because i train in my home gym if I can not make it to train at a school.
    I teach from my garage but it can be a drag being the teacher and not being the student. I was training at a great JKD/MMA gym in East Prov but the gym has moved so im giving this spot a try.

5. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I home school my kids and teach from my house so the drive gives me time to pray, relax, plan, visualize, and listen to my new xm radio ....lol
    We bought a new GMC Sierra and Im loving it!...:)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Oh my gosh!
    It would seem a snow storm has laid a blanket of white stuff all over the place!
    I hope they dont cancel the dang class today.

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

It was a really good group.
    Lots of training done.
    The teacher knows his stuff and has a few fights here and abroad.
    Ill be going back for sure.

8. belltoller

Just keep your eyes wide open on those long trips back. Your neck of the woods is overrun with deer and they can sure ruin the front end of your Sierra.

A quality set of snow tyres goes without saying.

9. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

You sure arent lying about that.
    Lots of deer out here.
    I used to teach a few nights a week in Prov. RI so i am used to the drive.
    I feel much safer in my truck than i do in my Chevy Metro...lol

10. belltoller

Wanna hear some horror stories about antlers going through windscreens??

You already know...

Good luck with the MT school all the same. post some vids when you can, if they allow

11. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I got turned on to another fighter's gym tonight by my coach/teacher.
    A school called Team United in Prov RI.
    Very good gym.
    Well equiped and many real true blue fighters training there.
    Decision decisions!

12. belltoller

"true-blue fighters" - by that I assume you mean professional and licensed amateurs ?

Didn't know you had so many up in that 'tiny' little corner - Primary Land!

13. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I travel out to schools because there are no MT schools near me.
    There are a bunch of bad karate schools slapping MMA on their signs trying to fleece the people. My little garage school suffers a drop in members in winter because I train mostly out doors. So naturally I must find a good spot during the cold winters.

14. belltoller

Keen idea from Belltoller:

Market your outdoor training as some badarse Spetsnaz training facility and they'll be knocking your doors down.

15. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Most people want climate controlled, sterilized buildings, with the newest fads like Zumba or some kind of garbage that requires no effort or skill. They want belts and rank, they want no or little contact point sparring. Most of these left leaning people are too busy sharing "selfie" pics than to train real world combative arts.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Zumba requires a lot more effort and skill than I have on tap. ;)

EDIT: There used to be (and may still be) a Kuntaw school in East Providence. My best friend used to live near it. Are you familiar with it? Just wondering where you picked up Kuntaw. Not exactly a household name.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I used to train in EP for a while but the JKD/MMA school has closed. I am waiting for the school to relocate. Kali Kuntaw came from the DFA system by Guro David Seiwert. I was training his system when I first signed up for an account on MAP. I am a bit ADD and train things for a few years and go back and forth from JKD concepts-FMA-to other arts when I meet someone very talented.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, muay thai certainly fits very nicely into that scheme. I'd always hoped to study it more in depth myself.

19. belltoller

One doesn't simply do muay thai, muay thai does you.