"Cheap" moves in the ring

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by addiwei, Jan 24, 2006.

1. addiwei

addiwei New Member

This may pose an unethical subject for some athletes, but can't deny it doesn't happen.

What are some cheap moves or tricks in the ring other than sneaking in punches while the ref ain't lookin? What are some counters to these? (other than biting their ear off?)

2. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

A big one (also related to the Tyson- Holyfield fight) is to duck down in a clinch, and bring the head up in a headbutt onto the opponent's chin. This is apprently why Mike got so angry--he was allegedly butted twice this way in that fight.

As for a counter? i don't know... it's an illegal move, and if someone did it to me, I'd probably "accidentally" hit them somewhere painful :)

Other than that, cranking on the arm (tyson's fave), stepping on toes, etc... I don't approve of "dirty boxing"... I think if you can't win the legal ways, then get out of the ring.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yea i agree, if you can't play by the rules, change sports. which is why i don't do boxing. :D

4. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

One that is hard to see and a lot of pros use is shouldering the guy on the inside. That is you snap your shoulder up into their face after you have worked their head in place. This will open a slight gap you can put an upper cut in. Do this as a amateur and get caught and you might get a DQ. There is a lot of rough stuff that goes on in the inside in the pros. It’s just part of being a pro. That’s why I never really liked pros and amateurs to spar each other much in the gym. It can lead to bad habits on the part of the amateur.

5. addiwei

addiwei New Member

oh yeah, thought of another one that Tyson used. The good ol' elbow into Frank Bruno's nose...on the other side of the ref. It's interesting to see some punches that start off as hooks, and turn into elbows due to the lateral movement of the arm, and fighting close. intentional? probably...but still not caught by the ref because it looks like a hook.

6. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

I've heard of people throwing a punch landing a crafty elbow just after the punch landed, I've never seen it but told about it at the gym.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

we throw our hooks in such a way that you -can- turn it into an elbow. although thats legal in muay thai :D

id say headbutts and elbows are the major ones to know about in terms of dirty boxing. watch evander holyfield during the tyson fight, he was smacking tyson with his head over and over, but he is good enough at it that it looks accidental. another good one is jamming your forearm against the other guys throat when you are clinching. not sure if thats illegal or not actually.

toe stamping is a good one especially if you are a heavyweight, also can mess with peoples rhythm. if they attempt to evade backwards but cant because your foot is there :D

Now while of course I dont advocate people to use stuff like that I think it is important to know that its there if only so you know how to counter it. infighting is a dirty place in boxing because the ref often cant see whats going on. dont see people get away with dirty tricks as often in the amateurs because you have to have a real cool head to know when to use it without being smacked with a yellow card, and most amateurs arent gonna be at that level of awareness in the middle of a fight.

and honestly, its two men trying to hurt each other, not patty cakes.

8. addiwei

addiwei New Member

toe stamping...that's interesting...i've never seen that happen in a fight before, or in real life (probably usually cause I'm looking up or the camera is up). so it works only when fighting inside, or clenching right?

imagine someone standing on the outside and jumping in with a toe stamp and quickly retreating ..hahaha "take that!"

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Boxing as we know it today is a far cry from the boxing of years past.
    While there are some cheap shots happening these days in the pro boxing world - much of it is relatively clean. These days there are so many camera's on the ring that it's hard to pull off much. Most rings have somewhere around 5-6 camera's. That includes and overhead cam. So it's not too hard to have 'dirty tricks' caught on tape.

Boxing of era's past however was a different animal all together. Ref's were often complicit in the dirty tricks. Many times you'd get ref's who would allow dirty tricks from both sides. There are numerous boxing tales based on the bouts from the 20's - 40's that featured lots of thumbs, forearms, elbows and shoulders.

Also what we think of the rules of boxing today are a far cry from the rules that had been used in boxing for ages by the Greeks and Romans. Enlgish boxing had completely different rules than we do today and even up until very recently the difference between English rules boxing and what was going on in America was vastly different. Even in America rules changed from state to state - often making the decision of who was a winner a long and drawn out affair. The meet ups of officials from different governing bodies to agree on rules for boxing bouts was often as closely watched as the matches themselves in early American boxing.

10. hux

hux ya, whatever.

that's not what he meant, I don't think...what you do is step on their foot as you come in so they can't step out of your line. Yer not stomping their toe, just sticking them to the ground for a second or two..very quick, but very effective.

11. jai dee

jai dee New Member

Geoff Thompson's 'Real Punching 3' tape has a section on old style dirty tricks.

Eye gouging, sneaky elbows, "accidental" head butts etc.

12. addiwei

addiwei New Member

slipthejab, your comments remind me of that Simpsons episode in which Homer boxes heavyweight champion Drederik Tatum. Homer points to the barbed wire on his glove and asks Moe, "Hey Moe, What's that?"
    Moe: "We uh..we called that the stinger....they don't let us use that no more."

haha :D

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!:D

or like all the old Popeye cartoons that shoe some palooka boxer puttin' anvils or horseshoes in their gloves! :D