Changing WTF training methods

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TKDmmafiter, Jun 14, 2006.

1. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Ok. My vision, one united Tae Kwon Do world. Competing under one ruleset all over the world:

Full contact to head, body, and legs.
    Kicks, punches, knees, elbows, sweeps and takedowns
    Pride style gloves and that's it

Now, this is what I would call professional level. 14oz gloves could be used for amateurs. Head gear maybe too. The other details are not worth discussing at this point. The key idea is a very very unrestricted set of rules. Turn TKD into an exemplary striking art.

Do away with the 12351432483 forms. Develop one single form to be a catalog of techniques that are NOT practiced daily. You only need one form. Spend the MAJORITY of the time in class training what it is you do in sparring. Not forms, not calisthenics, not "self defense", not any other crap. Bag work, pad work, drills, fighting. And none of this "spar every <insert your favorite day of the>"; no, spar EVERY SINGLE CLASS.

Do away with "self defense", most of what's taught is garbage anyway. Now, IF TKD ever becomes an amazing striking art on par with Muay Thai or any of the knockdown karate styles. THEN we can start thinking about grappling. Just look at Daido Juku ( [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjGQk-k2ZA"]YouTube[/ame] ), that's exactly what they did.

We're really starting to see a turn towards all of this with Gong kwon yoo sool. These guys are doing it right.... more or less. They need refinement in their stop and go arrangement, but they've got the right idea. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAjtZ69e08Q"]YouTube[/ame]

I'll have more thoughts later.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. TKDmmafiter

TKDmmafiter Valued Member

MadMonk... I don't understand what the big deal is. Why don't we go through this step by step since you seem to be having some issues with me.

Agreed or not for each one?

1. WTF Taekwondo sparring does not utilize the full range of WTF TKD, making the sparring ruleset flawed.

2. WTF TKD sparring does not utilize effective punching.

3. WTF TKD sparring still cultivates great kicking skills despite the flaws in its ruleset.

No matter what you have said, I still hold my firm belief that being a great kicking, which WTF TKD teaches well, allows you to have an advantage over a potential attacker. I am entitled to my opinion and I think that that opinion is correct. I really don't think you should attack me for my beliefs.

3. TKDmmafiter

Now you are being ridiculous. Now you are trying to turn Taekwondo into a K-1 match. That's not what I was trying to do. And then at the end you say to add grappling like Yoosul? Are you kidding? TKD was meant to be a standup art. TKD isn't Brazilian Jujutsu.

All I am trying to fix are the following:

1. Face punching will never be a reality. So my desire is for the WTF TKD to implement quality body punching, on par with the body punching skills of Kyokushin Karate.

2. My number two desire is for the elimination of the hogu. This will also probably never happen in amateur WTF TKD. This is why we need a professional WTF Taekwondo league, which will probably happen sometime soon. I can see it happening as soon as late this year or next year, as many Koreans and TKD practitioners are pushing for this to happen.

3. Somehow MAKE the WTF TKD competitors to keep their hands up and utilize an effective guard. Again, however, if the recent WTF 's encouragment of the scoring of all legit punch points keeps up, the WTF TKD fighters will be forced to utilize a guard to prevent easy punch points. But I propose taking it a step farther and making it a requirement of TKD competition to keep one's hands up.

4. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Why stop at TKD? Since all KMA is basically a ripoff of karate with an emphasis on kicks, then we should just get rid of ALL KMA and make this one uber KMA style.

5. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

What stop and go arrangement?

6. TKDmmafiter

And MadMonk, I never intended to start things with you. I wanted to get away from my Bullshido reputation. I thought I made that clear to you. You always seem to think of my posts as stupid and as a threat to the forum itself. Such things weren't my intentions. I just state my opinions as they are because I believe in my opinions.

7. MadMonk108

You don't wanna continue developing your watermelon fists?

8. TKDmmafiter

Ripoff....? Are you deliberately trying to be racist and to offend Koreans? Ripoff of JMA? How is KMA a "rip off"? You're diving into controversial water here, buddy.

9. MadMonk108

I won't disagree with any of those, but that's not what half of your posts have been about.

I'll say it one more time.

Training kicks in partiality does not prepare you for applying kicks in totality.

10. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

After rewatching the video, I retract that comment. The video had left a different impression in my head than what it really was.

11. MadMonk108

Uh...dude...

EternalRage is Korean.

Sagaji...

12. TKDmmafiter

Clarify, please.

13. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Because I don't do those other arts, they don't really interest or concern me.

14. EternalRage

Well in the past, during its inception, sparring generally allowed for all combat ranges, so its not just turning TKD into something else, its turning it back into what it used to be, which is better than what it is now. People think just because Olympic TKD came after the old TKD that its "improved" and "evolved". Watered down and pansified is more like it.

To make them utilize an effective guard you will need to allow punching to the head. If there's no danger, why put forth unnecessary effort? No you must force them to do it.

What we need is not just some pro league limited to one style and association. We need a Korean style tournament circuit with full contact rules - K1 or MMA or whatever. China's got their sanshou and lei tai fighting. Thailand of course has its ring fighting. USA has their UFC, Japan has their Pride FC and various barenuckle Karate tournies. The only thing Korea has on a similar scale is Olympic TKD.

15. MadMonk108

That's just Mav's opinion. I don't think we need to add grappling and groundfighting to TKD, as it is a striking art. You wanna add grappling to your taekwondo, go learn yoosool.

All I am trying to fix are the following:

I don't see any reason why it couldn't, especially at higher levels, though I do agree knockdown rules for WTF TKD would very much push the game ahead.

The hogu can stay for beginners and children, especially. But there is no reason why it needs to be mandatory for national or international level competitions.

Keeping your hands up won't happen without face punching. Kyokushin fighters keep their guard up better than we do, but they still drop it a lot more, since all punches are coming at their body.

16. MadMonk108

What about the Hapkido crappling derived from DRAJJ?

17. TKDmmafiter

Still don't get what you meant by the whole TKD kicks partiality, totality thing

18. MadMonk108

I want you to learn more and experience more. Expand your mind, change your game, see what else is out there.

That's all.

Go do Yoodo, go do boxing. Good luck with it. Keep seeking to perfect your Taekwondo. Never stagnate.

19. EternalRage

Not only am I Korean, but I practice a Korean style... Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan - one of the original kwans that were "united" to make TKD.

And yeah, all mainstream KMA is a ripoff of Japanese/Okinawan arts. Do some research. All the kwan heads studied karate in the universities. Don't give me that 2000 yr or Taekyun crap. Look at what you do. The forms, the bowing, the uniforms, the belts, the standing in lines according to rank - look at everything you do and then think of all the other martial arts in the world. Nothing shares more homology than JMA and KMA.

20. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Do you even know what all those moves in your forms are? No, you don't.

BECAUSE YOU DRANK THE KOOL AID.