changes in WTF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by neryo_tkd, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I think you're mistaking competition sparring with what you think people would use "on the street".

2. TKDmmafiter

TKDmmafiter Valued Member

Well, I think you're forgetting that even competition sparring shoudl encourage practical stuff.

Anyone else have any input?

3. Liam Cullen

Again, what do you mean by "practical"? If a technique lands and can knock your opponent down, or out, then how can that not be practical?

4. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

As long as you are looking for techniques that score, then within the ruleset, practical techniques will always end up being favored.

For example, say they award 3 points for any jumping, spinning technique to the head, and one point for any other kick, plus a bonus for knockdown.

If my opponent wants to go for that flashy technique to get extra points, he has to score it. I should be able to prevent this with practical technique, ie. a push kick to the body to knock him down while he's attempting his kick.

The beauty of a full contact format, even with rules as limiting as WTF TKD, is that practical technique will always end up being favored.

Now if only we could just get rid of the damn hogu...

5. TKDmmafiter

TKDmmafiter Valued Member

After thinking about what MadMonk just said above, I am now totally reassured competitors will stick to practical techniques most of the time. THis is a good thing.

And as for the hogu removal... I very much doubt that the Kukkiwon and the WTF would allow WTF sparring to be full contact AND no-hogu at the same time. One would have to be sacrificed for the other. Personally, I'd rather keep the full contact rather than have it be semi or light contact with no hogu.. It may happen but I doubt it. Besides, the WTF just recently invested loads of money into creating a new electronic protector.

What needs to happen is Pro-Taekwondo. Many South Koreans, including myself, have been advocating or proposing the start of a professional WTF Taekwondo league with less rule restrictions, full contact, and no hogu. Because of the huge demand, professional Taekwondo will probably come into being soon. Keep in mind the guys that go to the Olympics aren't pros. They're technically amateurs.

But what do you guys think about the encouraging of punching + the introduction of gloves? Do you think people will start punching more now?

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

"Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam --- The World Taekwondo Federation designated Sept. 4 as the official “Taekwondo Day” at its extraordinary General Assembly here on July 25, 2006.

In line with the WTF’s ongoing reform programs, the General Assembly approved a package of proposals for amendments to the WTF Rules and Regulations and the WTF Poomsae Competition Rules.

Under the changed WTF Rules and Regulations, the term “regional” will be changed into “continental,” thus the regional taekwondo unions shall be continental taekwondo unions. Article 2.4 on Amateurism was also deleted to help activate professional taekwondo.

The WTF Executive Council will be renamed into the WTF Council, with the creation of the Executive Committee consisting of the president, six vice presidents, the secretary general and the treasuer.

Under the new WTF Rules and Regulations, the General Assembly shall be held every year at the same location where the WTF World Taekwondo Championships and the WTF World Junior Taekwondo Championships. The fiscal year of the WTF shall commence on Jan. 1 and end on Dec. 31 of each year.

The General Assembly also approved the creation of the Paralympic Committee within the WTF, in line with the WTF’s policy to include taekwondo in the official sport of the Paralympic Games in the near future.

In a show of solidarity among the global taekwondo family members, the General Assembly adopted a resolution on recent terrorist incidents in Iraqi, condemning the kidnapping of Iraqi taekwondo athletes two months ago and wishing them an early return to their homes.

The Assembly approved three new memberships: Kiribati in the Oceania region and Zambia in Africa as full members, along with Isle of Man as an associate member.

With the new memberships, the WTF has a total of 182 member national associations.

At the Assembly, Izmir of Turkey was chosen as the host site for the 7th WTF World Junior Taekwondo Championships on May 8-11, 2008, with Incheon of Korea the venue for the 2nd WTF World Poomsae Taekwondo Championships in the fall of 2007.

On July 24, the WTF’s Executive Council approved the new referee uniforms for Kyorugi and Poomsae competitions.

At the Council meeting, Manchester of Great Britain outbid Baku of Azerbaijan to win the bid to host the World Olympic Qualification Tournament.

On a more heartwarming note, the Pakistan Taekwondo Federation offered its heartfelt appreciation to the WTF for offering condolences and monetary support to the National Olympic Committee of Pakistan during the devastating earthquake that struck Pakistan on October 8, 2005. The WTF was the only federation that offered such support.

The 6th WTF World Junior Taekwondo Championships will start on July 26 for a five-day run at the Phu Tho Indoor Stadium in Ho Chi Minh City.

The biennial event drew more than 1,000 athletes and officials from over 75 countries."

7. zoltan

zoltan New Member

This is my first time posting on here but as WTF fighter that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. A second round can make all the difference in a fight and i have seen tides turn so fast to take that out would be a terrible thing.

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

[​IMG]

The World Taekwondo Federation signed a recognition contract with LaJUST on electronic protectors at the headquarters of the WTF in Seoul on Sept. 11, 2006.

The contract period is five years. With the signing, the WTF is able to use the electronic protectors in the taekwondo competition of the 18th World Taekowndo Championships scheduled for in May 2007 in Beijing, China, at the earliest.

The introduction of electronic protectors is expected to greatly enhance the image of taekwondo and the WTF, as they could reduce possible controversies arising from judgment and refereeing at taekwondo competitions.

“The signing bears a great significance in that the use of electronic protectors could make judgment at taekwondo competitions more objective and transparent,” said WTF President Chungwon Choue. “It makes a milestone in the history of taekwondo and the WTF.”

According to the recommendations of the now disbanded WTF Reform Committee on fairer judgment and refereeing at taekwondo competitions, the WTF set up an ad-hoc Committee on Electronic Protectors in July 2005.

The WTF held a demonstration of electronic protectors on July 20, 2005 in Seoul.

In accordance with the recommendations of the ad-hoc committee after the first demonstration, the WTF commissioned the Korea Institute of Sports and Science (KISS) to produce a report on basic specifications of electronic protectors. On Dec. 30, 2005, the WTF announced the KISS-produced specifications on electronic protectors.

The WTF held another demonstration of electronic protectors on March 25, 2006 in Seoul. The demonstration drew four electronic protector manufacturers – LaJUST of Korea; ATM of Austria; True Score (Impact Measurement), a joint venture between the Untied States and Korea; and Daedo International of Spain.

The ad-hoc Committee on Electronic Protectors announced its evaluation results of the electronic protector demonstration on March 28, 2006.

Of the four participating demonstrators, LaJUST was the only participants that passed the “acceptable” level of the basic technical requirements in four categories to be applied to taekwondo competition.
    The four categories are accuracy of the sense-impact level, differentiation of valid impact and invalid impact, consecutive impacts and calibration.

According to the KISS report to the WTF in June this year, LaJUST also passed the laboratory tests, which involved transmission systems, safety on electricity and electronics, and endurance of materials.

On July 29, 2006, there was a JaJUST demonstration of electronic protectors during the 6th WTF World Junior Taekwondo Championships in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, drawing a positive response from spectators.

LaJUST started developing electronic protector systems in 1982 and has since conducted electronic-protector demonstrations at about 130 official and unofficial taekwondo competitions. As recently as in October 2003, LaJUST electronic protectors were used at the 24th Yonsei University President’s Flag Taekwondo Championships in Seoul.

9. Sang

Sang Valued Member

The day I'm forced to wear those horrible robocop outfits is the day I retire from WTF TKD competitions. What a joke and how embarassing.

10. MadMonk108

This is so sad...

11. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

The protectors in the pic are probably coloured that way to demonstrate the electronic sensors, obviously the "production models" will be white!

I have my doubts if the human body is suited for such sensors though. How will the sensors be able to consistently detect - judge, if you will - what was a good strike ("valid" and "invalid" impact)? Some kind of performance envelope taking into account force and surface? They probably have a way to get satisfying results, but i have a feeling that there will still be disputes with scoring, but at least noone will be blaming the refs :).

12. Liam Cullen

I think any martial art that makes people velcro their face up before stepping on the mat is headed the wrong way. I wonder at what level of competition this kit will be introduced at? I doubt most people will be willing to shell out for it at low level competitions.

And no that's not the colour of the 'production models'.

They'll be pink.

13. Origami Itto

Pink???

As for headgear, it is a bit controversial, but many styles use it, most notably amateur boxing, and it is doing pretty well. Amateur thai boxers begin virtually covered in protective gear (shins, knees, chest, gloves, elbows, head) but it is removes as you progress :).

14. MadMonk108

Protective headgear is one thing. Those facemasks are something completely different.

15. Origami Itto

16. Liam Cullen

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i think the sensors are where those shiny dark things are.

18. Liam Cullen

there don't appear to be any on the collar bone area though, which is odd. :confused:

19. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i haven't found any new info on the electronic equipment, but i'm really looking forward to the olympics

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

''The World Taekwondo Federation held a demonstration of electronic protector systems in Seoul on Jan. 12, 2007.

The WTF-organized demonstration, the third of its kind, attracted two electronic protector manufacturers - Daedo International of Spain and adidas (ATM) of Germany.

The two companies which attended the previous demonstration by the WTF on March 25, 2006, failed to pass the WTF-set basic requirements.

The one-day demonstration, which took place at Kyung Hee University in Seoul, was conducted before WTF President Chungwon Choue and members of the ad-hoc WTF Electronic Protector Committee.

The ad-hoc committee is led by Mr. Soo-nam Park, vice president of the WTF. The nine-member committee includes Mr. Eui-min Ko, chairman of the WTF Technical Committee; and Mr. Hong-ki Kim, chairman of the WTF Refereeing Committee.

One day after the demonstration on Jan. 13, the ad-hoc committee held its meeting at the headquarters of the WTF to evaluate the demonstrators’ performance.

In line with the WTF Reform Report, the WTF set up the ad-hoc committee in July 2005. The report recommended the introduction of a highly effective and accurate electronic protector system as a valuable addition to the sport by helping make judgment more objective.

On Sept. 11, 2006, the WTF signed a contract with Korea’s LaJUST on the WTF’s official electronic protector supplier.
    The WTF plans to hold a special electronic protector test event in early March in Korea with detailed information to be finalized soon.

If the test event concludes successfully, then the electronic protector system will be highly likely to be used at the forthcoming World Taekwondo Championships in May 2007 in Beijing, China, and the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games in Beijing.''