changes in WTF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by neryo_tkd, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Looks like it's very much oriented towards being crowd pleasing.

2. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Yup I agree about trying to be crowd pleasing.
    I like the gloves, I like the four judges, I like the additional point. I HATE the uniforms. Why wear color uniforms when we put stuff over top of it anyways. I can see it in patterns competition but until that recieves the same international success as the sparring then why bother.

3. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

We already have red and blue hogu. Why do we need colored uniforms to go under them?
    Judo has blue uniforms and I hate them too. And I don't even practice judo.

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i also don't quite understand this thing with uniforms. sometimes in a fight you wear the red hogu and sometimes the blue one. so does that mean that we'll have to buy two uniforms and change them during the competition which is really weird or will it be one uniform that is blue on one side and red on the other? but in that case you have to change as well, so as i see it it's a lot of hussle. :confused:

5. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

So what happens if two fighters have to face each other and both are wearing the same colored uniform? Much easier to simply turn the hogu inside out.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

haven't you read my previous post? it'll probably be 2 uniforms or one uniform with 2 colors.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

as of 2006 we started using the following new rules:

- the fighter who leads by 7 points wins

- the fighter who has 12 points wins

- mouthguard is a 'must' for everyone

- kadets (aged 8-14) will use mouthguard and shin+instep protection gear

2 weekends ago we took part in the national kadet championshoip and we won GOLD :). with the new rules the fights are quicker. my girl who became the national champion finished the first 2 fights in one minute.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  8. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Cool stuff, congrats! :)

9. baron

baron Valued Member

I am totally in favor of reducing the round lenghts to 2 minutes. It would make the fights a lot faster paced People wouldnt have to worry as much about conserving energy and running out the clock, so there would be a lot more action.

I am totally not in favor of giving more points to fancy moves. It would reduce some of the fights to people just flinging themselves through the air with wild kicks.

I also dont like this 12 point win thing. Its kind of a strange number. Why not 15?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  10. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

In a tournament last week, I saw this new gloves that supposedly we are going to use. They look like bycicle gloves.

Another thing that happened at this tournament is that the new rules of the first one who reaches 12 points wins and the one of the 7 point difference were also applied.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

you all know that the electronic protectors are supposed to be used at the Olympics. Here is the evaluation report of 2nd demonstration:

"The ad-hoc Committee on Electronic Protectors of the World Taekwondo Federation announced its evaluation results of an electronic protector demonstration on March 28, 2006.

The demonstration, the second of its kind by WTF after the demonstration on July 20, 2005, took place at Kyung Hee University on March 25, 2006.

The demonstration attracted four companies: LaJUST of Korea, ATM of Austria, True Score (Impact Measurement), a U.S.-Korea joint venture, and Daedo of Spain.

With regard to the electronic protector system comprising of just the body protectors, LaJUST was the only participant that passed the “acceptable” level of the basic technical requirements to be applied to taekwondo competition.

The systems of two other companies, ATM and Daedo, failed to meet the requirements in the category of “differentiation of valid impact and invalid impact.” The system of True Score failed to meet the acceptable level in two categories: “accuracy of the sense-impact level” and “differentiation of valid impact and invalid impact.”

The other two basic technical requirements are “consecutive impacts” and “calibration.”

In demonstrations of electronic protector systems comprising of both the head and body protectors, however, the two demonstrators - LaJUST and Daedo – failed to meet the acceptable level of the basic technical requirements.
    The company that passed the evaluation is required to undergo both laboratory and field tests. Laboratory tests, which will be conducted by the Korea Institute of Sports Science (KISS), will involve sense-impact level tests, transmission systems, safety on electricity and electronics, and endurance of materials.

Fields tests, whose contents and criteria will be made by the ad-hoc committee, aim to determine the conformity of the system to real-life competition, testing the system in a “live” competition setting.

After evaluating the overall tests, the ad-hoc committee is scheduled to present its final evaluation report to WTF, which will be used for WTF’s selection of official electronic protector companies.

WTF is to make a progress report on the electronic protectors before the WTF Executive Council meeting and the General Assembly during the 6th WTF World Junior Taekwondo Championships scheduled for July 26-30, 2006 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam."

12. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Still quite a way to go then.

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

definitely, what they want to achieve is great, almost like SciFi but as you sait it's quite a way to go.

14. the only eagle

the only eagle New Member

WTF New instep and gloves

Has anyone got the new gloves and instep guards that are being introduced to tournaments. I got the insteps and theyre really good but apparently theyre going to be compulsary.

15. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I didn't know they were introducing the instep guards as well as the gloves. I like the look of the gloves and have ordered some from Mooto, I've kind of hoping the xtra protection means there will be some changes in the rules in the next year or so.

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

kadets (-14 years) use insteps (they have already started using them), mouth guards are a must for all ages.

next month Adidas will have a demonstration of the new electronic gear at a tournament in croatia.

17. TKDmmafiter

TKDmmafiter Valued Member

Couple questions about WTF rule changes...

1. It's definitely good that the WTF is encouraging and recognizing punching now. It will make TKD more "exciting" and will develop the combat sport further as well.

But do you think that the encouraging of punching and the introduction of gloves will ultimately lead to more and more punching by WTF fighters, or no?

2. In addition to punching, the WTF now gives an extra point to competitors who perform flying or jumping attacks to get more points... I honestly think this is a terrible idea.

Giving an extra point to competitors will encourage impractical jumping/flying techniques, won't it? Do you think competitors will start using these impractical moves a lot more or just a little more or no difference at all?

Now the competitors stick to roundhouses, back kicks and axes for the most part. I hope WTF TKD matches don't become dancing matches. What do you think? Besides, even for the extra point, isn't using jumping/flying moves too risky anyway, because of the points. So they'll probably save these moves for the PERFECT opportunity, no?

18. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Personally you won't see a lot of flying unless the person is absolutely sure they are going to hit and land. Remember that there is also a rule that stipulates staying on feet. Personally I leave the ground on occasion, usually when the other player is off balance and moving backwards. I'll take that opportunity to chase and hit with a jumping side kick for the knockdown. Hard to score a point, but they may get a warning out of it.

Punching, at the last few international and national events I've seen and competed in, I have seen new tactics involving punching. I think punching will come more into play as long as judges are scoing the punches. This has always been in the rules but they just aren't scored.

19. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

1. What in particular are you refering to? I wasn't aware that the points scored for punching had changed. Gloves have been introduced, some thought this was an indication that punches to the face were on the cards. But as a couple of people have pointed out, this is most likely more linked to the new electronic body armour being introduced. Time will tell I guess. :)

I don't think people will start using punches more in WTF until the way points are scored with them changes.

2. I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one. I think it's going to make it much more interesting to watch, and to take part in. I think you'll soon see the general level of fighters rise as a lot of schools realise they can no longer win by relying just on turning kick attacks and back kick counters.

I'm not sure how you can use the term "impractical" as if they hit and score they work. Combined with the extra points scored for knocking down your opponent, I think we'll see some fast flashy combinations with a lot of power behind them to get that extra point. Again, time will tell!

20. TKDmmafiter

TKDmmafiter Valued Member

What...? Encouraging flashy techniques is horrible for learning practical martial arts. TKD may be a sport... but it is also still a martial art and as a martial art it has its obligation to remain practical. Flashy, jumping spinning flying things are NOT practical.