changes in WTF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by neryo_tkd, Dec 28, 2004.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, keep the doboks white.

a student of mine has got 2 coloured doboks. her dad bought them in canada, a blue one and a red one. so, the first time she came to class, it was cute, she is only 9 years old and a very nice girl. but i wouldn't want to see my entire class wear doboks in colour.

2. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I like black doboks, but wearing blue and red doboks :eek:

Do you really think that these gloves are going to work? Honestly you damage more your hands by punching a heavy bag without gloves than hitting a hogu.

3. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Yes they will work, but I think you are missing the point in their purpose and design.

bold added by me

I believe the gloves are going to act as part of the electronic scoring system that is starting to be established. With the use of foot and hand guards the system will be able to determine if the hogu/helmet is being struck by a hand or a foot. This will probably be accomplished by a secondary transmission system where they foot and hand pads will have transmitors in. When pressure is sent onto a scoring area it must agree with pressure transmitted by either foot or hand.

This is simply theory and I don't really have any documentation to go along with this, but it makes sense in my mind. For right now the color difference of the gloves make it easier for the judges to see a clean punch on a hogu. Hopefully this will help in scoring punches.

As for punching to the head. With these gloves I don't see it happening. They are simply to light, even lighter than the 4 oz MMA gloves. I don't see punching to the head ever coming into WTF type competition, at least not in the next 10 years or so. After that, who knows.

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

10 years? hahahah yeah, we probably won't be competing then :D

5. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

so will those competitions be similar to an electronic fencing match, without the swords of course, only wireless. because in my experience anything like that you are going to have to assume:

it will break down often
    so very often

can you really imagine something worse than being in a match and your transmitter has cut our for your feet and hands. every time you are hit you lose points - but try as you might your scores dont get counted. it takes halfway through the match for this to be discovered by the authorities and all scores has to be reset and match restarted.
    man
    ouch

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Gonna be interesting to see what level of force they set on the scoring pads and even more interesting to see whther or not competitiors start trainning to hit with that force and no more to see if they can get a benefit from it.

7. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I got the point. Punches can be scored by an electronic system and judges can see punches with the gloves in different colors.

But what is not clear is that they say that these gloves are for protecting your hands against hard hogus. It is almost impossible to hurt your hands by punching a hogu with bear knuckles.

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well, we haven't seen the new hogus with the electronic stuff yet, but i'm sure they won't be as 'soft' as the current once are.

9. Artikon

Could be a psychological thing as well. Cover the hands and say it will be easier to punch may make punching a more viable technique in some competitors minds. I'm hoping to see much more punching personally, and hopefully the judges will start scoring them consistantly.

10. hminitrez

hminitrez New Member

More Hand Techniques

Personally, I would like to see more hand techniques being used and counted as points to really display "The way of the hand/fist and foot/feet." As of now, the rest of the martial arts world taunts TKD by calling it "the way of the roundhouse and "hopping." Watch any olympic match and you'll see what I mean...lots of hopping...hopping..and then finally a roundhouse or back hook kick. Nothing like the spectacular displays in the 1960s through 1980s karate matches with Chuck Norris, Bill Wallace, etc....In 1988, the WTF decided they wanted to look completely different than any of the Japanese art forms that allegedly were the basis for TKD....so they eliminated punching, which Karateka were famous for using in the ring to win, especially with the reverse punch against any of the spinning TKD kicks. Since 1988, sport TKD practitioners in the WTF have found ways to improvise existing kicks into sparring matches; i.e., the tornado kick or non-stop roundhouse kicks. I can stop any of these including the back hook kick by simply stepping into my opponent and slamming my fist into their chest guard (hogu) and I do it constantly. No, I don't get a point (though I do in open Karate tourneys) but it totally trips up my opponent and I then score easily with a roundhouse. My point -- bring back hand techniques!! It's more realistic! My two cents...

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it's not like you sparred everyone in the world, right?! :D :Angel: :D

12. Artikon

I like jamming in hard as well, but it can lead to trouble against a seriously experience opponent. I've seen a person get knocked out by charging in on someone who was doing a spin round kick. Jam came in, punch landed, but the round kick was a fake to a crescent and came over the arm and scored a clean KO. I don't know if I could do that but it was pretty impressive none the less.

13. hminitrez

hminitrez New Member

No, I have not sparred everyone in the world...but I've been sparring since the mid 1980's...in the US and Europe...and my technique hasn't failed me yet....but thanks for asking.

I only jam in hard when it warrants it. Mostly, I simply step inside their kick...very easy and effective...and while one punch has landed on the chest, the other hand is by my face, ready to block when needed...I've encountered the fake to a crescent Artikon mentions and was able to easily block it and counterattack with my own roundhouse. It's all about knowing how to use the hands as well as the feet. Getting back to my point, I just wish WTF would make hand tecniques in sparring part of the reform.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2006
  14. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Yeah, me too.

Hminitrez: Hand techinques have always been used in TKD. Even right now without gloves you get a point for a solid punch to the chest.

15. hminitrez

hminitrez New Member

Pulp -- Yes, hand techniques have always been used in TKD. The point though is with scoring them in Olympic Style WTF TKD. You can punch all you want, but the scoring is inconsistent. All 14 Masters that I work with, who are all Referee Qualified through Kukkiwon, teach that punching is not worth it because likely, even if you land a hard punch, it won't be counted. Again, just watch any olympic match....as far as ITF matches, yes, they do count as points and I have won plenty of ITF and Open Karate matches that way.

16. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

what about (not that im suggesting it as a good sparring technique) landing a Doo Ap-Joomuk Jirugi, with a resultant motion from the opponent?

surely any judge would call the points for that?

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

18. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

It bothers me that more points will be awarded for difficult techniques to some degree... If someone is effective solely with punches to the solarplexus, they are effective nonetheless. But it bothers me more that "greater leniency will be shown to contestants who attempt difficult moves, ie., those who fall while executing difficult moves...shall not be penalized." Does this not perpetuate the notion that TKD is not an effective martial art? And, since in my opinion it certainly can be an effective martial art, should not the sporting element of it be more concerned with what is effective than what is difficult? It seems to me that some of the most innefective techniques imaginable would be some of the hardest to execute.

19. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

So Olympic/WTF practitioners already get deducted points for falling whilst sparring? We get one deducted for "loss of balance" every time you fall over or put your hand down to stop yourself falling, but I didn't know the same was true for WTF, surely they'd have as many points taken away as they score. :D

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, penalty points are given,

but now we're talking about 'efficient more difficult' techniques and not difficult techniques that one can't perform :D