Change of forum name

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by gerard, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Maybe you don't but personally what I call Taijiquan and practice has no relationship to the purely health oriented, fashionable, health dance Tai Chi, that is so well known around the globe. I am merely following that which is stated by the classics which once again states that Taijiquan has both civil and martial aspects in equal measure and anything that does not adhere to this is not Taijiquan at all!

Guess what? It's largely known as Tai Chi ( half an art and therefore not Taijiquan ) these days ... the distinction of Taijiquan vs Tai Chi is merely honouring the full art and giving it back it's place both linguistically and practically. If you wish to be associated with the Tai Chi of the New Age health clubs and old peoples homes then fine, great. The classics state clearly that this is not Taijiquan, and it isn't. Now if you want to argue that point with the masters of the past thats your deal ... I'll stick with their concept of correct practice over yours and the assessment of the health clubs for my money, thats all.

Game over really ... no snobbery just lets call a spade a bleedin spade.

2. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

I am very disappointed with all the arguing its only a bloody word. What matters is how you practise call it football if you want its only a word. I do get the feeling though Syd and Gerard were born in the same mould maybe they should start a seperate forum of their own.

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I have run my own forum in the past, a couple of years ago but I got too busy to continue and so a friend who used to frequent it carried it on elsewhere ... it was indeed called Taijiquan. At the end of the day I could care less what this forum calls itself since the majority are clearly happy. The bottom line is that the question came up of a name change and I merely stated that I myself had mentioned the same thing over a year ago in a not too serious manner and have here simply explained why I thought the distinction ought to be made. In the process of this it seems I have caused a revolution of unrest in some peoples cosy minds which was as much a shock to me as anything else ... it's just my thoughts on the matter and that is all.

I'm pretty happy with putting my thoughts out there and more than happy for others to have a different take also ... we agree to disagree and it's all good from where I stand. What I don't get is this idea that people get so bent out of shape if we don't all formulaicly hold to the same idea's ... if I don't belong in these parts it's on those grounds that I would happily expell myself and proudly be exiled for it! ;)

Does it matter linguistically? no ...

Does it matter practically? Yes ... if you give a stuff.

Do I give a stuff? sometimes times yes ... sometimes no. The question caught me in a "give a stuff moment" The rest me dears is history.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  4. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

hahahaha... yuanlai ruci...

Oh, Syd, you're a Montaigue-ite... no wonder you're full of it... :rolleyes:

5. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Pretty gutless remark from a gutless dojo hopper ... amazing how a difference of opinion can shatter the security of weak hearts. :D

6. Umm...Dude... if he's talkin' to himself, why are you replying?

7. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Thats deep ...

8. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Huh?

What do you mean gutless? If you think I'm a gutless coward then why don't you come to New Orleans and knock me out with one of your "Wudang Qi Disruption Forms"? You shouldn't even have to actually touch me. Although, since I'm assuming you have the "warrior magic," your very presence in the room should already fill me with such awe that any possible conflict would be immediately diffused.

What is a Dojo hopper and how do you know I am one? If by Dojo-hopper you mean someone who has trained with numerous different masters then I'm guilty-as-charged. If by dojo-hopper you mean someone who never takes the time to study the deper levels of a given art before switching, then you're dead wrong. Also, my security is not the least bit shattered as I know you're an idiot. The only reason I'm even bothering to respond is because I hate over-confident, pretentious, presumptious jerks that make snide, passive-agressive comments like you. Oh wait, let me add a few smilies to show that I'm still completely just having fun and not the least bit insecure about my style. :D :rolleyes: :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  9. err...what?

10. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: its still only a word

11. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I agree

I agree. The only reason I'm still posting on this ridiculous thread is because Syd keeps making snide comments that I, for some reason, keep reading. Honestly, I think this thread should be shut down and renamed "MY TAIJI IS BETTER THAN YOURS!!!! LET'S ARGUE ABOUT POINTLESS SEMANTICS!!!!"

12. At the end of the days, folks, it's less than a name! It's a word which is used as a header for a forum section.

If the kickboxing section was named "kickbxing", I would still put messages on!!!

If it's called Tai Chi, and you think it should be Taji, then refer to the art in your post as taji! No one's gonna ban you if you refer to it as Taji, Tai Chi, or "SumWierdThing". The heading is to show people where to go. The very fact you knew that you needed to go here indicates you see the striking similarity!

I don't actually train in kickboxing. I train in "Full contact karate" or "American Kickboxing". I'm not on there whining that there needs to be a name change to suit me. If you get your way and this part becoms Taji, then what do the Tai Chi people do? Ask for another name change.

I'd be grateful you actually have a section here - there are many arts which dont, and quite frankly, if you are willing to leave because you don't agree with the name of a section, that's pathetic.

13. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

*applause* :) Nice post

14. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Syd - "dojo hopper"...? :rolleyes:
    shouldn't that be "kwoon hopper"? :)
    Get your terms right m8 ;)
    :love: Love you! :love: lol
    :Angel:

15. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Syd!
    Syd!
    Oo yer tryin' ta kid?
    Lala!
    Lalaa!
    (repeat ad infinitum lol)
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    :Angel:

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Enough childish bickering... thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.