Change of forum name

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by gerard, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Hi there,

I think this forum should change its name into something more appropriate bearing in mind that the pinyin system is now the world standard for transliterating Chinese text. Therefore instead of Tai chi (note the lack of capitalisation of the letter c in the term chi according to the Wade-Giles system) it should be:

Taiji or better TAIJIQUAN.

In addition, this is a Martial Arts forum not a Fitness club or a Geriatric centre.

Thanks for your understanding,

Gerard.

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Explain please.....

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

He means that people who just do Tai Chi for the health benefits without studying teh d34dly side are not welcome here, in his opinion.

The name stays :D

4. Sgt_Major

Heaven forbit someone would want to practice something for different reasons than his own!

Imagine! the audacity! How DARE they!?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Wrong answer. It means that Taijiquan deserves the respect of a practice that has been carried for over 500 years. Would you call Siddharta Buddha, Sidarta Buda?

I don't think you would. Same goes for Taijiquan.

Name should change.

Thanks for your understanding,

:)

6. hegu

hegu Valued Member

I don't think name really matters. Or am I wrong! Let's call it Hao-Chuan then :)
    I really don't think people from the west could even pronouce the original name that represented the art now known as Taichi.
    Respect!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  7. pete_e

pete_e New Member

Sorry - but can this be the same Gerard that is currently stressing that Taiji was not originally a martial art?!?

Also - would you mind providing some background on the claim that Taijiquan has carried the name for 500 years. I was under the impression that the name Taijiquan was attributed to the discipline much later in its history...

8. gerard

gerard Valued Member

How many Gerard's do you think there are in this forum?

Only one I think :confused:

Yes, the one you refer to its me :love:

:)

9. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

chinese linedancing forum gets my vote! :D

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Throws vamprye-rat the high 5 :D

11. Sgt_Major

*Throws a high 5, and stands round looking like a nerd with his hand in the air when no-one responds*
    :D

12. pete_e

pete_e New Member

I'm just trying to reconcile your original post, with its stress of Quan and the Martial Aspect with your insistence that taiji wasn't developed as a martial art...

13. pete_e

pete_e New Member

Also throws a high 5

14. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

woo hoo! :D:D

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Guess if we are going to follow the Pinyin system as the standard then we'll have to rename the Kung Fu forum to "Gongfu"

Most people are more familiar with the common spelling of "Tai Chi" and "Kung Fu"....

... I did say "most" :)

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I like this one....

lets go and rename all the martial arts. Maybe the individual topic mods can sponsor their own little mini competition for names.

17. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Taiji-quan?

I think Taiji would be a good change because that's the modern pinyin way to spell it and is closer to the Mandarin pronunciation of the word. I don't thing we should add "quan," because that means "fist" and would disclude any type of Taiji weapon. I'm also perplexed as to why you would want to emphasize the "fist" part, Gerard, since you said elsewhere that you didn't consider Taiji to be a martial art.

18. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Who cares?? (besides Gerard)

Everybody else that doesn't train it knows it as tai chi, majority rules, name should stay.

19. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Name should stay. And Gerard - where did your martial arts frenzy come from? You post nothing but fitness/health/Dowizm :)D) subjects.

Can we have a poll? I vote for Chinese linedancing!!

20. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Hilarious ... I mentioned ages ago that it would cool to have two forums. One called Taijiquan and the other Tai Chi ... there is a difference but it seems the website wants to blend them into one ( so do allot of practitioners! ) which is fine, and why I don't bother much anymore. :)

Taijiquan already has that balance ... Tai Chi = an inbalance and therefore cannot be Taijiquan ... read the classics somebody! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.