Change My Mind Series

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 25, 2018.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yup, ditto. I have no idea, I don't generally watch sports except MMA, and even that, it's been a few years since I watched a match. Nowadays it's mostly just BJJ matches.

I think it's by definition sexism - valuing one sexes activity over the other's when they are fundamentally the same activity. Again, I think there's a misconception that sexism = "I hate women."

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Possibly because men's sports are featured more.

Women's MMA has had huge numbers with rouseys fights, and the women's world cup was also a big event, these have only recently started having televised events.

Plus I far prefer women's tennis to mens.

3. Dead_pool

Double post.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

They're the same activity, sure. One is done by faster, stronger, powerful people that results in much grander risk or success. Will we entertain that this might be part of the allure of male sports over female sports? If this is defined as sexism, is it necessarily unjust sexism?

(as a side note, I don't think this is the absolute reason for why male sports are watched more but that rather it is one element for why)

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

5.4 million people watched the men's PGA. 0.8 watched the women's. I wouldn't say that golf is an activity dominated by power, strength or speed, but by grace and technique. I also don't think that 4.6 million more people are watching men's golf because the ball flies fifty meters further or whatever.

What's your paradigm for justice?

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Chicken/egg

Women's sports are, being blunt, usually of much lower quality in the big televised sports, so football, basketball etc. However they also receive a lot less funding and support due to being worse so get a lot less investment to improve them.

It's interesting to note MMA, a sport where both are shown on the same card, women are quite enjoyably watched despite initial reservations and despite a, if I may say so, lower skill threshold.

philosoraptor likes this.
  7. Ero-Sennin

5.4 million losers. Golf sucks. Crazy how any comment made doesn't seem to apply indefinitely across the entire spectrum. Also, what sort of grace is in golf? When I think of grace I think of a ballet dancer, or running back. Not a golf swing.

A good fingernail paint job. - Cake

I haven't really thought about a paradigm for justice in this context, so I don't have a good answer. I'll start keeping it in mind : P

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Women are allowed to compete in mens PGA and also they are allowed to compete in Formula 1. I think am Scottish women was really close a few years ago ago actually.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As a general trend men play sport 'better' than women play sport.
    If you want to see someone compete in a sport that is the very best at that sport, bar a few exceptions, that someone will be a man.
    That's just an unfortunate by-product of sexual dimorphism and physiological differences.
    Some people want to watch what they perceive as the 'best' exponent of the sport they are watching. Find out who is the best at activity 'X'.
    It's why heavier weights are generally favoured in combat sports. It's why premier league football is watched more than Sunday league football.
    As a fan of mma I just like to see good quality technique and strategy applied well no matter what the size or gender of the fighters. However the stands in mma events aren't full of people like me.

10. Dead_pool

axelb likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Are we talking average skill level on a UFC card/ONEFC card?
    Or MMA in general, because there's lots and lots of very poor MMA at the grass roots level, if we're talking averages, the amount of participants very much effects the mode median and mean averages.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Women who've played on the men's PGA.

LPGA Women Who Played on the PGA Tour

Although I don't watch golf it sounds as though the women just can't quite keep up comparatively. Although I might be wrong because honestly it's confusing to read.

axelb, Dead_pool and philosoraptor like this.
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If someone is hitting the golf ball 50 yards further than someone else there's a fair chance they are also coming in on or under par for that hole more often than that other person.
    In other words....they are better at golf.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

No its just they're not wasting time like the men......

Frodocious and Mushroom like this.
  16. Ero-Sennin

Somebody is jealous they aren't a sexy peacock that needs to flaunt its feathers during a graceful, extremely physically challenging game of golf.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Dead_pool

I'd say they both require extreme fitness, only a true athlete could do both..... DDDzrqZU0AAYQuV.jpg 62079b2dfae7a0d52314dd22fcecfe60-4.jpg

18. Ero-Sennin

Just look at them glorious peacock feathers. LOOK AT THEM

LOOK AT THEM!!!!!!

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I detest the man but give him his dues...he's 65/70+ in those pictures so good on him for being active.