Chain punches?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Adam, May 28, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Forgive my lack of knowledge of kung fu in general and wing chun in particular, but what are "chain punches?" I heard them mentioned on a Scandinavian forum and that is the direct translation. A powerful combination technique?

2. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

one punch after another maybe

3. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Chain punching, to my knowledge is generally what 'Wing Chun' Kung Fu is known and recognized for. I've also seen it used in Ninjutsu and JKD as well - or at least extrapolations of it.

It's hard to describe. Generally, 'chain punching' refers to having your hands punching straight forward down the center line in a circular motion. You make a punch straight down the center line with the right, then as you retract it you punch again with the left again straight down the middle over top of the other one then the process repeats with a right again in a 'rolling' forward circular motion one over the other.

It's a tool to break down the person's defenses, trapping their hands below as you batter their face, and the idea is that you keep smacking their hands down with the circular motion as you attack down the center line.

In practice against some boxers I've found it is useful as a tool, but it definitely won't work as a rule.

Last edited: May 28, 2003
  4. Adam

Adam New Member

Thanks.

So it's basically a sort of harassing volley of punches?

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

:D

Never heard it put like that before

I suppose it is,

Its not massivley different from what I've seen boxers do when they get the chance. It's a striaght blast, the punches aren't very powerfull, fast but with little shoulder movement. They can be hard to deal with, the other side to the coin as always is you could come out worse if they know how to deal with it.

6. AndyD

AndyD Valued Member

Chain punching is a series of vertical fist punches down the center line. Each punch goes straight to the target and disolves and drops on contact before retracting - this allows each punch to travel straight to the target without hitting the one thats retracting. The pattern is cone shaped as opposed to circular.

Done correctly, each punch gets its power from its connection to the body and its coordination with the footwork and will be a full power punch. Also because the elbows are down a wedging action is created which allows you to sheer through your opponents arms, trapping him up as you go. Its all about structural mechanics.