certain Karate styles

Discussion in 'Karate' started by YoshiroShin, Nov 27, 2009.

1. acer

acer Valued Member

Bla bla bla...Whatever you say the point is your precious Funakoshi was beaten just like a little girl!!!
    And don’t forget his son too Giko was beaten from a Goju Ryu regular student,not a master!Pathetic!
    What else can I say…

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

What style do you favour acer ?

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Beaten?

I've never read any accounts of Funakoshi being beaten? LOL

I've read accounts of him refusing to get into fights. I've read accounts of him handing over his possessions rather than fighting a gang of thugs. I've also read an account of him having to fight a young man when no other option was available.
    That's good self defence.

I've also read an account of him failing to defeat a Judoka in a friendly challenge situation. So what? You're slathering drool over this little incident like a teenage boy over a Pamela Anderson poster. It means squat with regard to how good Funakoshi may or may not have been, and it means squat with regard to how good Shotokan and Shotokai practitioners can be. It also means squat with regard to how good Otsuka was.

If you can't see that the two are chalk and cheese then you really are obtuse.

Matusumura - the founder figure of a huge number of Karate families, professional bodyguard, known as one of Okinawa's greatest 'fighters' - in his old age curls up into a ball rather than fight a group of yobs. So what?

Motobu was 'reputably' a good fighter. But if he couldn't instruct or coach very well then that's a pretty bad thing so far as his students (and style) are concerned.

Funakoshi - couldn't really describe him as a fighter since other than Tegumi he avoided fights. But his students and the growth of Shotokan and Shotokai speak for his abilities as a coach and instructor.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You're right, acer, the shotokan community admit defeat. There is no need for you to post any more.

(has he gone yet...?)

5. acer

acer Valued Member

:rolleyes:

I didn’t want to offend anyone...

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

curious that you answer llama and talk about his "precious funakoshi", when he has already stated that he doesn't care about funakoshi

you fail

also having a badass grandmaster does not make you badass by association, so stfu and go train

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

TBH (and not that this means anything), as a Wado man for best part of 25 years, I've got to say that if a was starting over again - with the benefit of what I know now - I would probably choose to walk into a Shotokan dojo over Wado.

Not because one style is better than another in terms of what it is designed to do, but because of the organisations behind the style, and how the style is transmitted.

Most Wado-ka will tell you (if they are being honest) that Wado remains pretty solid when you stay close to one of the three main groups, but in general the style as a whole has become so "homogenised" with the various off shoots that have appeared over the last 20-30 years that it has lost a lot of its identity - and therefore what makes it work.

There are less and less guys out there who have the experience and knowledge to pass this on, and with every new generation of instructor it becomes watered down even further.

Why? because the infrastructure is not there to promote this.

Shotokan on the other hand have got this nailed it would seem. It is my understanding for example that the JKA are the only Karate group in Japan (and possibly the rest of the world) from which "professional" karate qualifications are recognised.

Don't get me wrong, if as a noob, the first dojo you step into happens to be run by a knowledgeable Wado instructor you are laughing. It seems to me though, that you stand a better chance of getting a good instructor (at random as it were) if you walk into a Shotokan dojo.

And that speaks volumes for the style or more importantly the group(s) behind the style. IMO.

Gary

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. John Titchen

Not so. SKI are also recognised in Japan. And in general, with the exception of the JKA, most Shotokan groups acknowledge each other's grades.
    However, the JKA have a reputation for refusing to acknowledge other people's grades.

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi John,

Agreed I should have said that "Shotokan" (be that JKA or SKI etc.) is the only Karate that are recognised as providing professional qualifications.

Why is it do you feel JKA have a reputation for refusing to recognise other peoples grades?

Gary

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

that might be because most of the other shotokan groups split off from jka, and usually not in the politest of terms, so the jka guys decide to hold a grudge and treat it as a sort of blood feud or something.

basically they're just being stereotypically japanese

EDIT: i think you might still find in the news section of the official jka website their article on okazaki's split from them to form the ISKF. i don't remember the exact content, but it left it pretty clear that anyone that went with him was basically disowned from the jka

11. John Titchen

Without wishing to derail the thread you only have to look at what happened to the KUGB, a supposedly JKA organisation, after the death of Enoeda.

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

*Mod hat on*

Acer, your behaviour on this thread is disruptive and borderline trolling. Please can you cease with the needless attacks and destructive criticisms. Criticism is welcome on MAP but only if it is constructive.

13. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

As the Fishy one says, typically Japanese.

Gary

14. YoshiroShin

YoshiroShin Valued Member

Um

Yeah, I think this may have gotten a little bit off topic maybe, but still if anyone has anything further to say about forms, methods of training or ways of performing techniques of the various styles of Karate, you can still try to elaborate on those.

Otherwise I think this discussion might be finished.