Cerebral Palsy

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by William MacLeod, Nov 17, 2004.

1. William MacLeod

William MacLeod New Member

I've had it all my life, but i've been in martial arts for almost 13 years.

2. William MacLeod

Do you guys know anybody else with cerebral palsy in a martial art?

3. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

No, I dont know anyone else, but that's inspiring and very cool, thanks for sharing! :D :D
    How do you find it? What difficulties do you feel you've had to overcome due to your condition (because I'm nosey ;) !)?

4. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

To perservere and overcome....you put the rest of us to shame.

nice to have on board.

5. William MacLeod

Mentally not much. But physically, before I started doing martial arts I had terrible balance. Most of our exercises for the first couple belts had to do alot with standing on one leg, hopping up and down while doing different blocks, and even just walking while kicking...every time we did some of those exercises I would usually end up on the ground because I couldn't hold myself up very well. I got passed that, but it took a long time. When I started I couldn't make a fist...at all. The best I could do was close my fingers not even half way to make a fist so that's another thing. I can deffinitely say I've become more flexible since I started. Before I couldn't bend my legs when we sat down to stretch, but i'm doing a lot better with that right now. One thing that people have alwayse thought when they did just grappling with me for fun was that since I don't have as much strength as most people that they could take me down really fast...so not true. One of the things that I've learned in my martial art is how to use other peoples strength against them by pressure points, and several other different things...unless it's a femal because I don't think that it's polite in any fassion to hit a girl. In my beginning forum I put down that I love leg locks...any kind. Foot locks, toe holds, ankle holds, heel holds, knee locks...anything. I also love ground fighting. I think if I were to say who my favorite UFC fighter is I would have to say Royce Gracie.

6. bedens67

bedens67 New Member

Greetings...
    First, congrats to you for your perseverance!
    Second, for others with CP doing martial arts, check out:

http://www.fighterscp.org/

They are in St. Louis, and I have assisted with one of their classes... Very well done, and they don't coddle the students...
    Hope this helps!

**bows**

- Bert Edens, II Dan TKD
    Springdale, Arkansas

7. William MacLeod

Thanks for giving me that. I just read what it said on there, and it pleased me to learn that those teachers were doing that for those students. I have heard many times that since I have CP that I couldn't do most of the things that regular (quote on quote) people can. I never believed that, and I'm glad those teachers, and students don't believe that either.

8. William MacLeod

Can you possibly give me a way to contact them?

9. Clay Johnson

Clay Johnson Valued Member

Hi, my name is Clay Johnson and I have CP also and been in the martial arts since 1983. I've studied karate, Thai Boxing, Filipino Martial Arts and Jun Fan Gung Fu. What styles have you studied? I look forward to talking to you sometime.
    Clay Johnson
    Clifton Forge Va

10. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Its good to hear from you guys and i hope you can contribute a lot to our forum always glad to have new people on board.

It would be interesting to hear a little more about the challenges you have faced while training.

11. William MacLeod

I've studied a bit of Karate, and Tae Kwon Do. I didn't stay in those martial arts, because they didn't offer the help that I needed because of my special needs. The martial art that I have mostly studied is Kuk Sool Won. I really enjoy hearing from people with CP that have gone past what other people thought they could do. Have you ever had people doubt that you could get anywhere is those martial arts?

12. William MacLeod

Can you be more specific? Sorry, I don't understand what you meant by the challenges i've faced.

13. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

I think naturally he means any difficulties you encountered as a result of your disability and what you did to overcome them :)

14. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Yep i'm really interested about hearing any adaptations or adjustments that you have made to techniques during your training which have helped you overcome any difficulties that your condition have caused during you training.

It could be really helpful to hear about this kind of stuff for both fellow students and instructors

15. Clay Johnson

Yes many people didn't think I could do the martial arts because I'm disabled. But when people doubt me I prove them wrong. I have been very luckly and have trained with some of the best instructors in the martial arts. These instructors saw me the person and not the wheelchair. I have instructorships in all the arts I have studied. I have been teaching the martial arts since 1987 and 99% of my students have been able-bodied.
    Clay Johnson
    Clifton Forge, Va

16. bedens67

bedens67 New Member

Greetings...

The contact information I have is:

mstempf@kajukenbo.org

for Sifu Michael Stempf, who leads the program, and:

cwalton@kajukenbo.org

for Sifu Charlie Walton who is also one of the instructors... Hope this helps!

**bows**

- Bert Edens
    Springdale, Arkansas

17. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I used to train with a guy that had cerebral palsy. It was in kickboxing but his doctor told him to stop because of the risks to his health, he was gutted
    :(

I was gutted when I heard this

18. Clay Johnson

Well I understand why your friend doctor would suggest that or order him to stop training. Doctor's have been told me that about anything I ever wanted to try for years. Like riding a bike or riding horses,which I went ahead and did anyway. Please don't get me wrong. It's a doctor's job to look after us. If there is a good heath reason for the doctor to suggest or order someone to stop training OK. But I think it should be up to the person them selfs and their instructor. If you are enjoying your self and getting in better shape along with learning that's the main thing. I also have CP and I know what the martial arts as done for me. If I had listen to every doctor that told me no! I would not be where I am today.

Clay Johnson
    Clifton Forge, Va

19. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

I'll tell you what, martial artists with disabilities put me to shame... because the dedication I show to martial arts can never compare to you people. I am far too frivolous, to my detriment. :(

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Applause*

Couldn't agree more mate.