Cecilia Braekhus says Edmond's comments about Rousey are "disrespectful"

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Saved_in_Blood, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Ronda Rousey's head trainer, Edmond Taverdyan, isn't shy about bragging about his star pupil and boxing skills. In fact, he recently claimed that "Rowdy" would win an Olympic gold medal in boxing -- to accompany her bronze medal in Judo -- if given the opportunity.

If that weren't enough, he also boldly stated that the Ultimate fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion would beat newly-signed Holly Holm in a straight-up boxing match. The same Holly Holm that owns numerous world titles in the "sweet science" and earned "Fighter of the Year" six years in a row from 2005-2010.

Those comments didn't sit too well with the best female boxer today, Cecilia Braekhus, who is undefeated (26-0) and owns the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO titles. In a conversation with Boxing Scene, Cecilia labeled Edmond's statements "disrespectful."

She also said that while she respects Rousey's skills in mixed martial arts (MMA), she'd be happy to fly to Vegas and take on her in a boxing match if she does indeed echo the sentiments of her confident trainer.

Her words:

‘'Ronda is an exceptional athlete, she is at the very top of her discipline and for that she has my full respect. But for her coach to say she could win a world title in her first boxing match is a little disrespectful. I'm not sure if this is something she truly believes or whether it is just a throw away comment from her coach. But if it is something she believes and she is up to the challenge, I would happily defend my titles against her. I would even travel to Las Vegas to fight her on her home turf."

Keep in mind, as Cecilia mentioned, Rousey herself is not the one making these claims, but rather her coach. As well he should, after all, if your head trainer doesn't believe in you, then who will?

Still, Edmond's claims and predictions (such as this one) have drawn the ire of other top female boxers, including Ann Wolfe, a former champ who didn't even want to mention Rousey's name, but had no problem telling her to step into the squared-circle to take on her daughter, Jennifer Fen -- who is undefeated (9-0) and ranked No. 1 in the nation -- and "get her rear whooped."

While no one -- aside from Wolfe -- is questioning Ronda's improved stand up, competing in a pure boxing fight against decorated boxers with countless titles and knockout victories to their credit, is a completely different animal.

Having said that, while a crossover match against Braekhus is highly unlikely as long as Rousey is under a UFC contract, is "Rowdy's" coach writing checks with her name on them that she may not be able to cash when the time comes?

I feel these were very classy comments from Braekhus

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I agree with Cecilia.

I also think she's doing exactly what Edmond wanted.

3. Saved_in_Blood

In reality it's giving both more media attention. The likelihood of either fighter leaving their respective sports to cross over for 1 grudge match is low though.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why has this been split from the first thread? Are Edmond's comments so appalling it requires two concurrent threads to discuss them?

Gaza only got one thread.

5. Samsara

Samsara New Member

A cogent and classy statement from Cecilia Braekhus.

6. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Really it is kind've like Floyd Mayweather thinking he could fight in an mma match in the cage. He would get killed. Yet take any mma fighter his weight and put them in a boxing ring with him and it would be playtime for Floyd.

Rousey get's killed in a boxing match by mid level boxing talent. She gets obliterated by top tier boxing talent. Likewise the same if it is reversed and boxing talent comes into the cage in an mma match. Rousey destroys them.

Just a stupid publicity ploy by Edmond.

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

i hate Edmond even more now. I WANNA SMASH HIS UGLY NOSE IN

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not that stupid. We're talking about them

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why are you even posting this SiB? We all know and agree on this topic, so where is the discussion?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I can only assume that this thread isn't about Edmond, but is actually pointing out that Cecilia Braekhus is being just as much of an attention seeker as Edmond.

Cecilia Braekhus is doing for herself exactly what Edmond was doing for Rousey.

11. Saved_in_Blood

It was just on MMA news and I thought some might like to see it.

12. Saved_in_Blood

Because the original was about Holly Holm... this isn't about her.. it's comments made from other people. That not ok with you?

13. Saved_in_Blood

I should have been more aggressive in my post Southpaw... you're supposed to yell at me :)

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Meh, you caught me in a sleepy mood.

15. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

An Olympic gold medalist in boxing....

Why doesn't he just say she could beat Godzilla in a Kaiju fight?

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I kinda really want this to happen.