Cebuano Escrima Beyond the myth by Ned Nepangue, M.D. and Celestino Macachor"

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Karl, Aug 29, 2007.

1. donb

donb restless spirit

2. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Unmasking the myths and legends in conjuntion with a "False beliefs" it is just a chronological researched,just making another myths...Furthermore,Kinomutay came from the rootwrd kumo means "FIST" better researh to our natives arts. Mabuhay Gat Kalislash

3. donb

donb restless spirit

Go for it, see what more you can find/research about kali. It would be nice if you can find more proof about kali, you seem to be headed in that direction. It's the unwritten history that's hard to prove but sometimes can be found in songs or stories of old but not necessarily myths. After reading the book, i don't think the authors ventured as far as Tawi-tawi or even Basilan which is only a "ferry" ride from Sulo (i've been there). This areas are all muslim populated, very unsafe for Christians. In fact, there's the "no mans land" which is a favorite battlefield between muslims and filipino soldiers. So, good luck to you.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

So I ask again, when and were did you first hear the term Kali being used with regards to the FMA, which style used it and who was the teacher?

I am sure the authors of the book would be pleased to talk to them so they can research it even more.

best regards

Pat

5. free_2_flow

free_2_flow Valued Member

if you read and pronounce it cebuano/bisaya way, "kinomutay", should have a root word "kumot" (meaning to squeeze with one's hands). for :"kumo" , it should be "kinomuay" and definitely not "kinomutay".

6. strunk76

strunk76 New Member

i thought kinomutay is what you call it when a couple of queers [gays] are fighting. not even close to a legitimate fighting art, dudes.

7. donb

donb restless spirit

I remember in Zamboanga when we go out nightfishing, we don't carry fishing rods and baits. We would take a gas lamp (coleman/petromax) and a stick (the size of a escrima stick), wade in the water or lower the lamp from our motor boat and wait for fish to come up (usually catfish) and hit it with one strike to the head. I don't know what it was called, but it sure feels like a stickfighting drill to me, maybe it's kali?

8. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Bro,

Let's not use the word "infest" with regard to our Muslim brothers. I'm sure you meant no harm, but it just doesn't sound right.

Secondly, the authors specified in their title that the book was about "Cebuano" escrima. 10 years ago, I couldn't find anyone in any of the places I'd visited that had heard of "kali" as it related to FMA. It's becoming more popular now as Filipinos are more aware of the fma practiced outside of the Philippines. If they authors are doing research on FMA in all of the Philippines, that would be volumes 2 and 3 that I'm also anxiously awaiting.

9. donb

donb restless spirit

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  10. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

As far as I'm concerned, Indonesians and Malaysians have a "Filipino" background. The migration patterns, as per the Austronesian migration, were from southern China to Taiwan to The Philippines to Malaysia and Indonesia. But as you say, there may have been a diffusion of technology northward to the Philppines from Malaysia and Indonesia. That's probably why there's a similarity with the various silate in the region. If anyone can find an "arnis" or "escrima" style to act as the "kali" missing link, that would be great. But the so called "moro moro" styles of arnis and escrima are all practiced by Christian Visayans not Muslims.

11. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

For your information I have been thre in Zamboanga city mostly I have some info about Kali...AND I have been in Saudi Arabia in 1982 do you think it is dangwerous to christian like me being there?Maybe it is a lot of years past today...DO NOT JUST LOOK TO THE MISTAKES OF OTHERS...try to figure by your own research,facts are not words my friend.First of all ,this terms of your Escrima that you believe that been taught by the priest; Florete means to scattered and find a hole to hide,Todo-fuego(fire-power) ,buca y lobo(barrel and cannonball) ,sumbrada(take-cover ) and etcetera... Did they done a good researched.Why ? they unmask the secrets of poverty,maybe I AM NOT WORKING HERE . MABUHAY GAT KALISLASH

12. donb

donb restless spirit

13. Gladius

Gladius New Member

and from what dialect this kumo/fist(?) you snatched it from? :confused:

14. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

If you squeeze your hand ,what would it look?Kumot means blanket and kinumutay means squeezing something... Hi Dond,I am referring to you it is the author comments about Escrima connection.And we are free country that we can read what we want.But we need something more fruitful about introducing our natives arts. Mabuhay Gat Kalislash :)

15. donb

donb restless spirit

It is interesting though that "kali" comes as a prefix to a lot of words from both north and south and yet, according to the authors, have no bearing. I think somebody really needs to dig deeper into this. As for me, "kali" is very much acceptable, is a very good technique, and i wouldn't dare question any of the masters who started it.

16. Gladius

Gladius New Member

kali means to dig, ok? I too wont dare question any of the masters who started this kali myth. I'll just laugh it off.

17. Gladius

Gladius New Member

if i squeeze it? cant say what i see. :D

18. Karl

Karl Valued Member

I think and these is what the authors said in the Book, they and maybe nobody has a problem with the name "Kali" but with some trying to put the word "Kali" as the mother of the arts......

19. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Maybe, I would try to read some portion of this book ...we can judge the book by its cover.The problem of the "Mother Arts" theory the one who write must explained this stuff.For my own opinion is a persons arts or the indigenous arts.The for us Filipinos to mexpress their own arts and we can deny that we have a lot of influence but we can relate it... Mabuhay Gat Kalislash

20. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Kali in means "Judge" who is responsible to the Diwan ,this is much closer to the custom commisioner today.And for a person in hindi language which means black also what in the word moro has the same...who has a dark complexion such we called "kayumanging kaligatan". Mabuhay Gat Kalislash