Cebuano Escrima Beyond the myth by Ned Nepangue, M.D. and Celestino Macachor"

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Karl, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Karl

Karl Valued Member

The book Escrima Beyond the myth by Ned Nepangue, M.D. and Celestino Macachor" is already avilable at Amazon.com...I just order mine hehe...
    Regards
    karl

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Once I settle in to my new home in Sunny Devon I will be ordering mine too, from what I gather it will open a few eyes and dispell quite a few myths about the FMA, which may upset some but hey if as I beleive they have done their research and they back up what they say with actual facts then so be it.

Let us know what you think if you have read it.

Best regards

Pat

3. De Campo JDC-IO

De Campo JDC-IO New Member

Whatever your stand is on the subject I know you guys will enjoy it. I could not put it down myself.

4. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

The S&H charges to the Philippines usually cost as much or more than the book itself. Any idea when it will be available in the Philippines? Soon?

5. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

People who read this Book are the one's who fear the blade and who fear the original truth. Escrima is only for Cebuanos. Kali is for Filipinos. We have the technology and research this book only blasphemes the truth and the spirit of our ancestors. Escrima is Spanish not the original Filipino. Do not read books instead seek where the flavor is and feed on the true flavor of the country. Go to where the technology originated in the islands where the Spanish where killed. There is no Spanish in the Philippines only the Blade of true warriors, not slaves of Spain. :woo:

Training is better than wasting money and time on this book.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good to see your not rigid or dogmatic in your beliefs. :D

7. Karl

Karl Valued Member

------

Yes u are right training is better always, but what are u talking about here, about the "ART" or about the name?????
    Somehow u are imitating someone, te way u talk and the words u use....

8. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

This one goes on my Top10 list of stupid alltimers :D

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Well, at least he is consistent.

10. oosh

oosh Valued Member

:D For you information PTKalista, the Eskrimador on the front of the book is Lot Villabrille - a relative of Kali GM Floro Villabrille and eskrima GM Tatang Illustrisimo... as they say in the states "you do the math" ;)

11. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

I think that Kali is for the natives ,like the pintados who once an allied to the Spaniards and Escrima to the Filipino. :confused:

12. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I am looking forward to this book as I do all books on the FMA's.

13. StixMaster

StixMaster Valued Member

It really comes down to the actual fighting, thats why back then there were challenges to see how really good you are when it really counts. Spartans in training either lived or died, not so much difference with Filipinos, but the PTK guys got to stop with the rhetoric, in combat you live or die and if you should survive definitely there would be no more matches for you.

14. Pat OMalley

All forms of information be they right or wrong are always a source of information, to tell people not to read this book shows you yourself are limiting your knowledge and taking a narrow minded approach.

If you cant open you mind to other ideas, thoughts research and information then quite frankley you have no authority to tell people that you are right ad everyone else is wrong.

You quote all blade all the time, but show us, show us your proof both written and archialogical, show us yourself on You Tube, show us you are right all the time.

Even all blade all the time, limits your knowledge of the FMA as a whole, dont discount the stick just because it is round, this two can crack a skull and kill a man, it has done for thousands of years and will continue to do so for thousands more.

What would you do if faced with a man who had a stick and all you had to hand was a stick, would you say sorry Bro cant fight today as I need my blade???

But good you keep knocking this book it only means more and more people will want to read it to find out if you are right or wrong;)

Remember. Knowledge is power, and information improves your knowledge.

Limitation is simply that, limiting your knowledge.

I for one am even more keen to read it now;)

So if any of your guys out there have read it, let us know what you think, regardless of what you think.

Best regards

Pat

15. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

I had a chance to read it back in Cebu and am actually not sure, why he's so upset about it. (Theres really nothing big about Pekiti Tirsia in it.)

Theres a lot of great information about the Cebu - FMAs (esp. a lot of unknown masters) and some.. corrections of FMA-myths.

Or is it, because its co-written by Tini, a DeCampo guy (who are using the stick as a stick)? - Then ask GT Gaje what he thinks about DeCampo, I dont think he would trashtalk them like you do.

16. De Campo JDC-IO

De Campo JDC-IO New Member

Everyone has the right to their opinion even if it is someone elses. :p But seriously, why knocked the book if you have not even read it? If you are strong in your convictions then the information in the book will not sway to the dark side, right? You don't have to agree but at least you see where their are coming from.

Peace to every one, even if we don't agree. :love:

17. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

I'm still reading the book which I borrowed from a good friend. In general, it provides a lot of evidence for the theories the authors propose. If anyone has counter-theories, then they should provide evidence instead of issuing threats in behalf of other people who may not even know what the issue is all about.

The martial arts community in Manila is quite small. I know for a fact that the Pitbull guys named in one post here are not the type to challenge another over an intellectual debate. I know because I know these guys personally. They won't fight just because a fool issued an open challenge in the internet on their behalf without consulting them.

Also, GM Leo Gaje once stayed in Ozamis City where the founder of Eskrima De Campo, Jose Caballero, lived. They had no quarrel. So why would someone even want to stir up things between these two organizations over an irrelevant issue?

It boils down to ego. Let's read the book first before making reckless comments.

18. Pat OMalley

Well done and well said Red. and as our De Campo brother on here states, how can you critises a book you have not read, and I say if you disagree with something that has some solid research behind it, then back your disagreement up with hard evidence to your side of the equasion. Not simply stating like a broken record on every subject on the FMA threads "all blade all the time", sorry but that does not wash with anyone and just shows you to be arrogant and narrow minded. Sorry but that is the way you are putting yourself across and does not do PTK any favours.

Threats from the safety of a keyboard and under the guise of a psudonm are easy and no one even considers your opinion valid, especially if it sounds like your constantly reading from a script, fact based discussion using your own indentity with your own personal opinions (even if the differ from the group you belong to) earns respect.

It is silly things like this that actually make the FMA look divided right across the board, thankfully the majority of FMAers are not like that and have respect for all forms of FMA be they blade, stick or empty hand based systems.

The PTK guys I have had the pleasure to meet and / or trained with (and these guys were certainly not in the lower ranks of the system) certainly do not hold the opinions that some on here would have you beleive. Bear that in mind when reading certrain posts.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  19. Pat OMalley

The are not disrepecting anything, these guys have put some serious research in to this book and have come to their conclusions, whether we agree or disagree with their conclusions in not a matter of respect, it is a matter of personal opinion. And if you disagree with thier conclusions then you should counter with your own conclusions and research, then people will make their own minds up about who they feel has the more relevant conclusion. Veiled threats are not a foundation for your opinions.

No one is sniveling or crying, we are simply asking you how you train, and to say those who only practice the stick cannot pick up a blade. Well..... I leave that to you to wonder what my opinion is on this subject.

Best regards

Pat

20. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

February 2008 Manila, Philippines

Before you waste your money on this book, first know the true Kali. Then read the book, then you can decide.

http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=2385

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007