Caucasian in my country.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ero-Sennin, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Dude, if your old enough to invade another country, and potentially kill humans for your government, then your old enough to be talked to like an adult.

It's good that you've matured, but getting upset that people don't tolerate nonsense on here is rediculous.

Re identity politics, really it's a way of seeing one facet of how the different classes are treated, it's a very valid one, but not the only way, or you could argue even the best one.

If people are poor enough to get government assistance, them it's because there poor, not because of their racial background. If you wernt that poor, then being jealous of someone who is poor, seems a bit daft.

Expecting someone to volunteer there time to "give back" because they're an immigrant, is also problematic. There's obviously a lot of nuonce in your experiences that we've obviously all missed. But tolerating intolerance isn't a good plan systemically, even if it worked well for you individually.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's exactly what it was (although IIRC the widow didn't claim his pension in the end).
    Just making the point that up until last year you could have physically met someone, who physically met someone who fought in the civil war. That's crazy. Just pointing out how recent in history something like the civil war is and how race relations in the US are still feeling the echoes of it. Let alone something more recent like Jim Crow, the civil rights movement, KKK lynchings, etc, etc. They basically happened "yesterday" in historical terms.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

How many people in their 20s in the UK could tell you about the miner's strikes or the Falklands war? How many people born in 1998 could even tell you about the 2008 financial crash?

As well as ignorance, you also have disinformation to contend with. Even if you are a well-meaning person, an upbringing of 2nd hand Fox News opinion could leave you thinking that MLK would oppose BLM, Rosa Parks would be more concerned with protesting mask mandates than civil rights, all refugees are dangerous infiltrators sent by nefarious groups to destroy America etc. etc...

Nasty people are queuing up to welcome impressionable young people with open arms, and a lot of them are pushed there by those who are supposed to be the nice ones.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. David Harrison

That is a weird argument. How many squaddies have you known? There is no maturity test for the armed forces.

cloudz likes this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

But isn't that completely antithetical to the right wing mindset where everyone is their own person and outside forces don't exist or influence people? Where you end up in life is down to your own personal choices and actions?
    The teenage gang-banger born into a life of poverty to crack addict parents in a run down neighbourhood "chooses" to be a criminal while Donald Trump ended up where he is through hard work and applying himself?
    I mean I think that's largely nonsense but that's how those sorts of people think right?

I'm just having a hard time reconciling the alt-right leanings of being a self motivated individual with the idea of "these nasty comments made me do it".

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Treating adults like children is daft.

Let's reframe it,

What age should the age of criminal responsibility be?

At what age should the age of consent for sex and /or marriage be?

At what age should the army be able to recruit?

At what age should Americans be able to buy a handgun?

Let's be consistent with this.

Is a 23 year old too immature for all of the above?

7. Dead_pool

I totally agree.

That also means, people grandparents would of been slaves.

It's no wonder on average the families from that background have no money, they've only had one or two generation's able to earn enough to be able to pass down property, or help with university/college costs.

Although that applies to lots of people not from that background too.

I really like the point this vox video makes, talking about tucker C.

8. David Harrison

Tackling emotional problems of alienation and frustration with ideological critiques and sociological statistics is not likely to do much.

Ever wonder why people choose to ignore fact-checking journalism over nonsense Facebook memes?

9. David Harrison

Is ridicule the distinction between how we treat adults and children?

I don't decide the minimum age for front line combat troops.

I dislike the attitude that dismisses anyone less informed. I think it is counterproductive. It comes across as ideological rather than pragmatic. I guess it all depends what your aims are.

Mangosteen and cloudz like this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Pretty much every day. :(
    I'd also like to add that ridiculing the ridiculous and the right wing has a pretty established past. :)

[​IMG]

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Because social media is bad, and most people aren't rational, they'd rather listen to something that agreed with their preconceived bias's then be challenged. Especially "rational bros".

But I do agree with your point, you shouldnt treat a slightly right wing person as you would do a full on nazi, and you need a welcoming space to be able to de programme people.

But that doesn't mean allowing people to spread their views unopposed, and too much "safe spacing for on their way Nazis" will undoubtedly backfire.

It's a pickle isn't it.

David Harrison and Smitfire like this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Filling the existential void with bants before I travel into the great beyond.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Dead_pool

I don't make fun of kids, but adults are another matter.

Right wingers arnt always less well informed,
    This isn't necessarily an IQ test, assuming right-wingers must just be stupider then yourself is a terrible point to make.

14. David Harrison

Maybe there's a slight difference between your violin comment and Chaplin's Hitler?

Ever heard the phrase "punching up"?

15. David Harrison

Good job I didn't make it then (though you have on MAP a few times)!

Ero was asking for his mind to be changed, to be educated. Like I said, there are plenty of horrible people waiting in the wings to do that if no-one else will.

Mangosteen likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

I read this as implying right wingers are less clever then you.

I've previously pointed out that right wing policies are popular with people with lower IQ, but that's different to saying right wingers have a low IQ.

There's a nuonce there that I think I havnt made as clear as I thought I did.

17. David Harrison

I usually let spelling and grammar slide, but this has been bugging me for years:

Dead_pool, it's nuance with an "a"!

:)

bassai, Dead_pool and Smitfire like this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean...it's nice of you to imply that I'm funnier than Chaplin but that's not for me to either confirm or deny...our comedic legacies must be decided by others.

I think taking the mick out of another adult human is punching across rather than up or down no?
    Unless there is a clear disparity in intelligence, power or influence?
    But then I know next to nothing about punching. I do Taekwondo.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

His spelling does make me laugh though. It's very similar to one of my favourite British slang words. :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. David Harrison

Always makes me think it sounds like it should be in an episode of Brass Eye.

Dead_pool likes this.