Caucasian in my country.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ero-Sennin, Oct 25, 2011.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Confrontation and conflict is not always a bad thing as long as the two opposing sides can come to some sort of agreement or terms in which to regard each other, and it doesn't spiral down into personal insult. I have admitted I'm not the most credible source, that these are all personal opinions and that I seek to debate it and see if my own views are twisted or sound, and have hope of recieving information and other personal views that can help my own. I am annoyed with the constant personal stabs by reality, and only wish to know why he projects his/her opinion in a manner that makes him/her to sound as if they believe their view is the most sound, true, and informed opinion.

I'm hoping reality has at least a masters through an established institution in political sciences, american history, or some political major. But I don't see somebody who throws personal stabs at somebody on a forum in a thread trying to discuss a very intense issue in which there is plenty of ignorance to go around with everyone, as being much of a professional or qualified individual at all.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Look up Metis to see how bad things were. They were left OUT of treaty's because they were rejected by BOTH sides

Then look up "Residential Schools"

Natives tend to be either unusually successful or spectacular failures in life - alcholism and substance abuse is rife and even in rpovinces where they get a very generous compensation (Alberta for example) they usually blow it quickly as they have not the support systems in place.

Whilst they did not quite have it as bad as the US Natives it has hardly been an easy ride. At least now they get grants and tax breaks and there is a real effort to re-establish their culture

4. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Let's see if I have this right, you start a borderline racist thread and reality is to blame. You are misunderstood, downtrodden, and others are at fault. Is that what I am hearing? You feel like you have been personally insulted? Want a hankie? From your first post, you have said some pretty absurd and inflammatory things, as well as insulting an entire gender and all minorities, so if you feel that your sensibilities have been stepped on, I would suggest getting over it. I am not your therapist, so forgive my lack of concern for your poor little feelings.

You posted this on an open forum with people from many different races, backgrounds, and countries willingly. Now, you want to make excuses and paint others as the ones in the wrong. Whatever, if you don't like what I say, ignore it, but to try to make me into the villain is a bit disingenuous. Your words are there in plain black and white for everyone to see, and just in case they missed some things, I will repost them here. You are right though, I don't have time to waste with your insecurities and messed up ideology.

You asked for honest opinions and mine is for the former.

Again, that is a borderline racist and sexist statement. Yes, you get the smallest violin because you are still in the demographic that continues to control the power in your country and for much of the world.

This last sentence above is where you should have left it at.

Many things happen in life that we don't like or wish were different. Unless we can change them, we should learn to live with them. Before you do anything though, you should make sure you know what you are talking about. It is better for people to think you are stupid than to open your mouth and prove them right is a good rule of thumb.

Again, this isn't a thread about who were the worst people of all times. In the US alone, there is enough to discuss to keep people busy. Things will never be done and over with when uneducated people in the dominant social strata continue to hold others back while blaming them for their lack of success. Not that this is the only thing standing in the way, but it is a start. The fact that you think you can start threads with racist/sexist statements with no negative consequences doesn't point to any quick remedy.

So more excuses and deflections.

Yes I graduated from a university in the US with a BA, in what is really none of your business. I had more discussions and interactions with people from all over the world(yes including some racists/sexists/bigots, etc), and have studied Asian American and African culture, history, etc as part of my studies.

I took classes in poli sci, US history(including graduate level), several languages, as well as read on the subject that you so graciously brought up. I also would know where to look for the information one should be up to date on before making such generalizations.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

With that, I rest. I have no more time to waste on this kind of nonsense. But before I go, just some clarification, from the Websters webpage:

Definition of SEXISM

1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially: discrimination against women

2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Definition of RACISM

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination

These are just two online examples, peoples definitions may vary. However, making a thread specifically to complain about women and minorities can and probably should be seen as sexist and racist. I got your pm and suggest if you are really intersted in learning more, you should look into any of the sub categories of American History that deal with these issues. There are enough books in your public library to take your life to finish. Searching the survey courses on any major university webpage could show you which books and authors are considered highly. Think broad then go to specific things that catch your interest. For example, reading a book about Chinese people in the antebellum South might not be of interest so skip books like that and go for more of a broad overview. Searching amazon and looking at lists or readers comments could as well. There are plenty of documentaries and movies that deal with everything that has been discussed here and more. Other than that, talk to your wife and her family and get ideas about what they think you should read if you feel comfortable doing so. There are plenty of resources online, at the library, and on tv that it isn't really that hard to find out information if one tries.

One last piece of advice, it would be better to ask or request information before making declarations or giving opinions. Learn first, digest, discuss, then debate.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. Ero-Sennin

I appreciate the depth and effort that you put into your post in reply to my own statements. Really, I do. I do not have the time at this moment for any sort of rebuttle that requires the time and effort to honor the time and effort that you have put in.

What I will say is I'm very happy to have run across somebody like you in this thread, and you're a person I would very much like to actually discuss things with on a more personal level if you are willing. This issue isn't going away for myself due to the people I'm associated with, will be associated with in the future, and in my own family.

What I can say about myself is that I have posted this thread with this mindset. "I am ignorant America, forming an opinion and projecting it on a public forum to try and expose myself to different people so that I can learn more and find the neccessary routes of personal education that I should look into to further ground a solid opinion and expand my own knowledge." My goals are being fulfilled, and I'm happy with this thread.

I think you have a lot of credible things to say, but I also believe you are not as capable of being objective about them and while I have no intent to offend you I am doing so because of that. This is causing you to make personal stabs, assume things that I do not intend to mean, and take some things out of context. That's fine, we're all human and I get frustrated as well and have tried to refrain from making any illegitamate personal stabs at you which I hope I have succeeded in. I would like to get past that so that we can understand each other a little more. I understand that you are very passionate about this, and passionate people will be passionate in their response in every way and rightfully so. Passionate people make the world go round in my opinion so it's cool with me even if some things annoy me.

Another thing I would like to add is that yes, this is a public forum. I posted what I did because it is a lot more private then an actual debate with other people face to face, in which some things that may be initially offensive could result in physical contact, missed opportunities, or futhering somebody's own hatred to such a degree they will never recover. I use forums as a tool, to project myself and my views, or ask questions to observe other people's opinion in an environment in which is private, they will say what's really on their mind, and they have no fear of any personal insult or injury to themselves. Yes I'm ignorant, I'm ignorant to a lot of things. But projecting that ignorance and having people verbally slap you in the face on a forum and then putting the time and effort to learn why they are doing this and how to avoid it is a practical use of forums. It will also transition, assuming that I do learn and progress, into actual conversation or debate with other people in the real world.

Again, I appreciate the time and effort required to respond in your recent post.

7. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I'm curious as to why you got involved in the lifestyle you're currently involved in?

8. Ero-Sennin

Is this directed at me, and if so could you elaborate?

9. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Yes, sorry. I'm curious as to why you would've chosen the lifepath you did? That's not an easy path to walk. Did you have any inkling you'd end up feeling the way you do now before you immersed yourself in it?

10. Ero-Sennin

I would like to give you a direct answer to asnwer your question the right way so if you don't mind I'm going to ask a few questions to give me a better idea of what you want to know. Do you mean to inquire about my military service, the small ammounts of my personal life (family, profession, priorities) I've revealed in the thread, or how I've represented myself in this thread thus far? And are there any other threads that I have posted in that you have read that you also have in mind when posing this question?

I am due for an appointment with somebody involved in another profession I'm trying to get involved with and it may take a while, so I may not be able to answer your question in a speedy mannor but I will reply.

11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

OP, I don't think you are a racist or a sexist, but I do think you could have worded this thread a lot differently to convey your point of view.

12. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Being white is awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

13. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I'm thinking I may have mistaken something you've said elsewhere, but did you comment about having an interracial marriage? That's what I was originally asking about.

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

what hannibal said :)

Idk about him, but i have a university BA degree (double major in history and russian language + literature) and he's right. About the topic, not about his small insults, which i wouldn't have said to you but not all people are as nice as me :p

15. Ero-Sennin

Knowledge gained through experience in the interactions with other people with conflicting views, supplemented with research to me is the best way to learn via forums. Your judgments that you have passed on me are not informed, inconsiderate to the many different possibilities that I may not have access, time, or ability to research these things right now, and are generalized in such a way that it does injustice to who I am personally. I do not hold this against you, but to be honest the lack of consideration of giving me the benefit of a doubt has been the biggest obstacle in our interactions through this thread. This thread, for me, IS a way to gather information on more direct topics of study that apply to this topic, and a way to gain experience in talking with others who hold the same view, disagree with me, think I'm an idiot, or any other opinion. This is a public forum, not a professional enviornment. It is also an offtopic section of a forum, and not a part of the forum in which actual expertiece is required (such as the actual martial arts sections of this forum).

I'm not pleased that you reply about a private message in the public forum. I approached you peacably, with no malicious intent whatsoever, explained that my interest in discussing this with you further was for my benefit in understanding, and I hoped conversation with you (a person very passionate in their beliefs) would help me in a small way to understand your side and get very specific references to the areas you have knowledge in. To be rejected on the public side of the forum, and not through a reply via private message is insulting. I'm sorry you do not have the time to help somebody you see as ignorant understand the reality of the situation and your own beliefs. In my opinion your mindset is part of the problem, that you think people like me who actually want to learn and try to better themselves and their understanding of a complex situation is rejected simply because I'm not worth your time. I am currently a very busy individual with meetings, research, and transitioning out of the military, on top of sustaining finances and a marriage and I have made time to reply and try to learn (regardless if you agree with the way I do it or not) so in all reality I think you just don't care. Not a great attitude.

Just becoming well versed in a subject is not my main concern. Dealing with other people and interacting with them, resolving issues and being able to understand them and project myself in a way for them to understand exactly what I mean to say and my intent is far more important to me. Research can always be done, talking to somebody and building a relationship with them can be stopped at the first discussion. This isn't to denounce the importance of research, but your expectations on me pretty much getting a college degree to learn about this before I say anything about it is VERY unrealistic.

This is a public forum, this section of the forum is not a professional environment. Being well versed in the subject you wish to discuss in this particular section is nice, but not required and as long as I'm not violating MAPs rules and regulations (I expect this thread particularly has been closely monitered due to the touchy subject at hand and the many firey and conflicting views, and I have not been contacted or reprimanded for violating anything so far) then I will continue to proceed for the betterment of myself with or without you. Hopefully somebody can help me out with the same views a little more than yourself, who has chosen to simply write me off as the scum of the earth without really knowing a single thing about me.

16. Ero-Sennin

Can I ask you the specific areas of history that you studied and maybe some good books that you have read that deal with parts of the topic of this thread?

And I don't believe it's about being mean or nice, but rather a mutual respect to give somebody the benefit of a doubt on a public forum so actual discussion and not constant, petty belittleing occurs. I'm perfectly fine with somebody saying "you're an idiot, read this and this, this is what I got from it and why you're wrong, check it out. Idiot."

17. Ero-Sennin

I agree. I knew my opinion wasn't worded the best way when I first posted. Part of my intent with my OP was to draw fire, learn to deal with it, form a better informed opinion, gain experience in dealing with others through conversation, experience the different views that would be projected onto me, and figure out the best way to go about things or to work on going about them.

18. Ero-Sennin

You are not mistaken, I am married to a Dominican woman who is hispanic, but initially is often mistaken for being african american. I married my wife because I love her and at the end of the day the only thing that really matters to me, beyond anything else in this world is my relationship with my wife and living our life together. Wasn't a route I chose entirely, the route chose me ; D.

We have a hard time in public sometimes with a lot of the stares and people making comments to each other (not loud, but you know they're doing it with the scowl on their face and a glare in your direction). Groups that you can stereotype (gangster culture, rich white culture, redneck culture) in which we are often around tend to have the greatest disdain for us. Luckily stereotypes are a small amount of people, and generally we don't run into any problems. The difficulty of having an interacial relationship is nowhere near so much a problem for us to dictate what we do and where we go.

19. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Ya, sure. :) My main focus was Russian history, aside from that my topics dealt with usually, Europe in the 20th century. But I also did some Canadian and American history.

I'm gonna give you a little Wiki page to read because you said you a busy person who might not have the time for books. Fair enough. This is about the residential schools in Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system

Let's see if I have some little tiny book to tell you a title of, cause big books take a lot of time to read through. :) One minute :)

These ones are not real big, one is 518 pages and the other is 446.

Titles are: The World in the 20th Century From Empires to Nations Sixth Edition, by Daniel R. Brower

America: A Narrative History, Seventh Edition, Volume One, by George Brown Tindall and David Emory Shi. Its about colonial America (US history)

I used both of these books, they were my actual history course textbooks. :)

And I don't believe it's about being mean or nice, but rather a mutual respect to give somebody the benefit of a doubt on a public forum so actual discussion and not constant, petty belittleing occurs. I'm perfectly fine with somebody saying "you're an idiot, read this and this, this is what I got from it and why you're wrong, check it out. Idiot."[/QUOTE]

My two best friends are an interracial couple, the woman is white and her husband is Chinese. It does cause problems, especially because her in laws hate her because she is not Chinese. It sucks. :(

20. Halliwell

Halliwell New Member

Threads like this make me laugh. I laugh at the white guy who thinks he's a "better human being" because he "worked hard" thinking he got anything he has through his own hard work, ignorant of the fact that his ethnicity is the fact that he was able to get what he wanted with a little hard work. Meanwhile, minorities and women put in just as much if not more hard work and still get nothing. Ero, what an elementary mentality to have. Oh, and all that about what you've lost and the insults you've suffered because of your service (which by the way, thank you for your service and for your bravery even if you do hate the institution in the end), means nothing. Sorry. None of that will hinder you in life. Doesn't count, doesn't even compare.

That said, though, I'm also ashamed to say that I am a black hispanic woman reading some of the comments on here. I grew up poor. Went to public school of 5,000 students in a dirty nasty black area. I went to Harvard on a full scholarship. I'm at Yale now on a merit scholarship for medicine. Who cares? So what? I worked hard, took advantage of the opportunities out there for me, and now I'm doing what I set out to do. Yep, I prob got all the money as well as the acceptance because of my status. Who gives a rats behind? All Ero is saying is that it's messed up the white folk have made it so hard for everyone else. You minorities and women on here hoopin and hollarin about all the suffering your people have gone through and about how hard you've had to work. Like, ok, good for you. I know all about discrimination and prejudice and racism and sexism and I mean the list goes on. Oh, ok. . . .want an award or something for putting up with it? You're not special. No one cares about you because you're a minority. Work hard, do what you gotta do and shut the heck up.

I'm so sick and tired of minorities and women talking about their rights and yadah yadah yadah. You want to be taken seriously? Then try to be just like everyone else. Try not self-segregating the way you do. Try doing the best you can do with what you've got. The big rich firm/hospital/organization won't hire you because you're black? Ok, get over it and look for the firm/hospital/organization that will. In the end, its not where you are it's what you do while you're there. I can guarantee that the company that DOES hire you, will give you the opportunity to move up. This is not slave time or reconstruction time or civil rights time. Racism still exists, clearly, but don't kid yourselves into thinking its as pervasive as you're making it out to be because it's not. B. Obama? C. Rice? H. Clinton?

Yall want something to really scream about? Lets talk poverty, war, genocide, famine. Lets talk about real problems and not things like racism and sexism; things and that will never go away and that we just gotta learn to live with. Someone said something about black history month. . . . I love how we don't get a day off for veterans day but God forbid we don't celebrate martin luther king day. Seriously? Get over yourselves. I'm black. I'm hispanic. And you know what.. . . I don't give a crap.