Catch in the park

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Dead_pool, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Here's a nice demo of two Erik Paulson students of some note, doing there cacc thing in the park, its nice to see the different approach to standard BJJ,

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zRTTz8BAgu0[/ame]

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the snake pit has been posting a couple park videos too.
    I'll see if i can link them

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Some incredibly fluid takedowns and interesting tactics from back/turtle.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I do like how the fall rule kills the tendencies to pull guard and stall in guard. Makes for much greater focus on dominant positioning which is great once you add in striking.

5. Mangosteen

Ack, all the park videos are on their facebook page only.

Here's a tournament from last year, the rules are slightly different in that they dont allow neck contact

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlV2nHjRvwg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlV2nHjRvwg[/ame]

6. Mangosteen

I've only ever been to two pure bjj school (for a short while) but the tactics and approach (in fusens video) doesnt seem all that different to any BJJ places ive been that the coaches have had some significant wrestling experience.

7. Dead_pool

From what ive seen, Cacc is pretty much wrestling plus standard submissions, plus cranks n stuff

8. Knee Rider

In my opinion there was greater emphasis placed on escaping to turtle or belly down than guard (although both were evidenced). I'd imagine it's a tactic related to pinning but my wrestling exposure is limited. I noticed it frequently when defending side control?

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Those chicks were awesome! The jumping arm bar at the endwas awesome.

CACC is much more exciting to watch. I do think it's a different art compared to BJJ because the submissions can be anything you can think of. There isn't as much emphasis on clean techniqe so much as "Rip it off if you get the chance". Cross faces for example can submitwith enough force.

10. Dead_pool

More info, it was Colleen Schneider going at it with Shayna Baszler, with Josh Barnett refereeing.

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Pardon the pun but do you think this will "catch" on and spread? I know EP has been doing a lot to promote CSW, but it does seem an interesting alternative to BJJ.

12. Dead_pool

They'll be a lot more fraudulent claims of catch I imagine.

CSW is good as its BJJ plus catch, 'pure catch' is a very rare beast, its a bit like the rise of sambo fusion schools that conc on nogI submission wrestling incl chokes, and mma.

13. Dead_pool

14. Knee Rider

I respect Eric Paulson, but after seeing the rolled up episode a few years back: I would never train with him.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That has been going on for years...ironically the recent exposure has caused a lot of the frauds to wither away since they cannot hide anymore

As a long standing mouthpiece for Catch it is nice to see it taking off again, and I count myself very lucky to have the Coach that I do.

16. Dead_pool

Its wierd, half of his views kinda makes sense, the other half are just crazy!

Whats csw like?
    Ive briefly trained with one coach (first level I think?) Who was terrible.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am treading carefully here because Erik is one of my personal heros.....

CSW as Erik teaches and develops it is a truly multi layered grappling discipline that has a tremendous variety of submission and straddles the gap between the top game (wrestling) and the bottom game (BJJ) into its own animal

CSW as a "brand" I am less keen on, as it is impossible to control anything that large without the quality control suffering a bit.....think "Royce Gracie Ju Jitsu Network". The average practitioner tends to know a LOT of subs and techniques, but the "applied" game is less impressive (if that makes sense). Conversely the good players in CSW are VERY good

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  18. Dead_pool

That sounds like a balanced assessment.

there's a really good baszler vs penny thomas nogi match that I thought showed the two slightly different approaches really well.

19. Dead_pool

20. Knee Rider