carruthers vs shamrock

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Gripfighter, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

My conclusion is the same as everyone elses.

One has documented experience fighting elite level professional athletes/fighters the other does not.

Nope. To be honest I wouldn't especially want to train under either of them. Although never say never.

please, regale me.

2. JackD

JackD Valued Member

I realize that sir! My point is one who is more inclined to specializing in that skillset would have more of a chance. From what I have seen there are people who have no experience fighting in the ring but fair much better against unknown opponents with even more unknown odds at hand than those who do.

Either way Snoops comment about a better fighter having more of a chance is both missunderstood and pointlessly cocky.

3. JackD

JackD Valued Member

An inferior fighter is holding/concealing a weopon Knife, Karambit, Gun. Who has the advantage? who has the better chance?

4. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Doesn't matter - the question was who would win between the two. The obvious answer is ken. In the ring or out. It's obvious to anyone who doesnt train in Lala land.

5. Killa_Gorillas

but what if the inferior fighter was wearing fibre optic camoflauge and jumped the superior fighter before the date they arranged to fight with a machete and the superior fighter had only got an amour points class of 5 while the inferior fighter had an agility score of 9 with an additional secondary skill bonus for accuracy and speech craft and it was a monday night with an evocative half moon hanging like a deadly sickle over the Elven mountains of Elandrule and there was lava and a dog?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Have you guys seen Ken Shamrock fight lately?
    Even one of Tommy Carruther's patented "really fast" air punches might knock him out.
    Methinks you all might be betting on the wrong horse. :)

7. Killa_Gorillas

Lol I could be wrong here but I thought we were talking about rumors of a challenge fight from the past? I'm not even sure if Ken is fighting now is he? I though he was in a home? :D

8. JackD

JackD Valued Member

Where was this question? did you make it up?
    If you read the original statement I made and how snoop decided to Pot hole dig at it you'd realise there neither was this question nor a need for your answer.

the statement was "Because there are no predetermined outcomes in combat!The winner isn't always the biggest guy or the best fighter. Bruce Lee understood this,that may be why intercepting was so important to his fighting method"

I find people who have experience in encounters of this kind agree. If some one in going to stab you you need to see it before the knife comes out of the guys pocket or sleeve and train to trap, intercept his move or run like hell if the option is there. And whoever thinks they are better prepared for this just because they take thier shoes & socks of and spar timed rounds then THEY are in La La land!

9. Killa_Gorillas

...................................................................................................

10. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

I would say they might well be better prepared for it depending on what they train and how they spar! Attributes are developed in sparring that cannot be underestimated.

But yes I can believe there are people out there who don't fight for a living but can definitly fight better for staying alive.

11. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Why would he be in a home again? Didn't he start out in a home after being a stick-up kid and a trouble maker before he was adopted by his father?

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I don't know what stick-up means but as to being a trouble maker, getting abandoned by your father at a young age and growing up in a rough naughbourhood...he got stabbed and hospitalised at the age of ten....its not a nice way to grow up. Don't judge a man untill you've walked in his shoes my friend.

Oh yeah, and he'd have absolutely destroyed Carruther because.

A) He was a much better fighter.
    B) He was also a much more experienced street fighter.
    C) He was also a much more experienced ring/cage fighter

So where ever the fight took place he would have won. In fact he'd still win now.

13. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

I was not judging him! Those are things he said himself in an interview!
    You know nothing of Tommys Street fighting experience! And what he has been through to reach where he has having people come as far as australia to train with him.

Seems like you are the only person judging anyone here without walking in thier shoes.

14. Master Betty

Actually, you know nothing of carruthers fighting experience either. But we, yourself included, do know of shamrocks. Yet you're still betting on the one you don't know about.

What's that but blind faith. Have some coolaid.

15. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

The BLIND is he who suggests I have bet on someone where in fact I have not ....go back and read my threads.

I know As much about Shamrocks street fights as you do .....Diddly Doo!

Also those who think Tommy has no experince in tournaments fighting ...
    gaining 2 Blackbelts in Full contact Karate styles in Mid 70s Glasgow was not brought about from puching and kicking the air. This was just before his successful amatuer Boxing career. Infact Glasgow was the place to come to train in Karate back then.. and Now its the place to go to train in JKD :)

16. Master Betty

Lol full contact karate. Hardcore. Come off it, full contact karate in the 70's had very few decent fighters even at the highest level and glasgow certainly wasn't where it was at. Besides, a black belt means jack all in virtually every TMA besides BJJ, Kyokushin and Judo.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He meant old people's home not a children's home.
    He/we were commenting on Ken's current status as a fighter that has extended his career just a bit too long and is suffering the consequences.

18. JackD

JackD Valued Member

Shows how little you know, but then again you didn't even exist in the 70s.

19. Master Betty

No, I didn't, I just grew up in the area and know my local history and I know that glasgow wasn't producing fighters of the likes of bill wallace, rick rufous, rob kaman etc.

20. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

my vote carruthers