carruthers vs shamrock

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Gripfighter, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

does anyone know if tommy carruthers was ever actually challenged to a fight by ken shamrock haaha or is that just a joke/urban legend ?

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Never heard of it, but Shamrock would have killed Carruthers bad.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

iv seen a few people talking about it in different forums sounding pretty serious, and yes he would I agree

4. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

shamrock ftw.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

More of a joke than an urban legend :D

6. kungfudoctor

kungfudoctor Free Kung Fu for all

shamrock fights sport !!!!! he is a tough guy but people seem to get mma confused with real street defence .... its a sad day for martial arts when its compared to mma

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

here we go again

8. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

like i said. Shamrock FTW.

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

they actually have allot in common they can both fight like hell and they both often come off as a*sholes

10. nofd1977

nofd1977 Valued Member

I just joined this wonderful site and had to chime in on this topic. I'll make it simple, on the street with no rules the Scotish boy would end it quick, and in a cage it might go the other way. I'm just saying...

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

In the cage. Shamrock. On the street with no rules. Shamrock.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Yeah like those MMA fighters in Wales who got attacked cos they were dressed as women, or when Roger Heuta tried to take on that guy who was twice his size who had hit that women from behind...oh wait

13. Pat OMalley

Why do people kid themselves into thinking that a ring or cage fighter will only play by the rules in a street fight? The rules go out the window for them too.

Dam I wish someone would have told me when I fought on the street that I was suppose to stick to the rules of the sports I played? Oh those poor thugs could have had so much of a better chance. Ah well never mind. Sorry I didn't realise.

14. JackD

JackD Valued Member

This question is a silly one because the question assumes some kind of certainty. How can we assume theres certainty when life is in a constant state of change? When one considers this, the only way to view such an inquiry would be in terms of probabilities.Furthermore, the environmental circumstances cannot be ignored, especially in combat. If I'm going bet money on the winner between Shamrock and Tommy I would need to know the terms and conditions they are fighting under.

If its a 3 x 5 minute round prize fight, probabilities would lean toward Ken; but, if its a street fight I would lean toward Tommy. Why is this relevant? Because there are no predetermined outcomes in combat!The winner isn't always the biggest guy or the best fighter. Bruce Lee understood this,that may be why intercepting was so important to his fighting method. Intercepting allows a smaller fighter to put the odds in their favor.

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Actually in a fight the better fighter does have a better chance of winning. Hence why Bruce spent so long getting good at fighting

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That made me chuckle!

17. JackD

JackD Valued Member

I said The winner isn't always the biggest guy or the best fighter.
    Chances and probabilities depened again on the context of fighting. In the context I mentioned superior interception gives one a better chance. That's why bruces focus in becoming better was that..interception.

18. Pat OMalley

I think you'll find any fighter worth their salt uses that very same principle some simple call it hitting first and countering the other guy before he has a chance to hit/shoot/move etc. Basic common sense in any fight be it ina ring/cage or on the street.

Where Shamrock will have the advantage is that his skills have been tried and tested under extreme pressure up against people he does not know and are themselves seasoned experienced fighters. Weight and size does not matter until the bigger guys knows what he's doing too.

Best regards

Pat.

19. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

one guy has a documented MMA career against tough opponants, from the sports relative infancy (in comparason to the global phenomenon it is today) to the mid 2000's. Huge name at one point.

The other has... some clips of him punching the air really fast?

20. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

and your conclusion is? have you met trained with / against either of them? Are you aware of what encounters Tommy had to deal with to get to his level of expertise? Do you know why Tommy had decided to avoid putting any more clips on the net for the past few years even though he is quite capable of it?