Carl Froch v George Groves

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've paid to see this on PPV tonight because this is one of the biggest domestic fights since maybe Eubank v Benn.

I thing George Groves will have his moments, but in the end he just won't have enough to dethrone Froch.

I think Froch is simply at a different level to everyone else right now, although Groves has got to him during the fight build up, so he'll need to keep a level head during the opening rounds.

Froch to win by a knockout from round 8 onwards.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Groves isn't to be trifled with @ 19-0.

If it warn't for the fact the fight's in Manchester and the fact that Carl is a full step up in level for Froch and...

Its been the way of these fights for while now. I keep looking for a set of reasons as to how the fight could reasonably turn, but I just can't find them.

Should be a good bout, though.

3. Simon

Groves can win this fight. He has a real good jab, perhaps better then Froch's, in addition he angles off really well and it's how he dismantled James De Gale. I just feel that if Froch can stay calm in the first two rounds he has the fight.

In the weigh in Froch was whispering in the ear of Groves and I thought that Groves looked a little nervous.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't think either of them are as good as they, or their promoters think they are. I don't think Groves has earned a shot yet - has he even fought anyone ranked in the top 10 of super middleweights before? And Froch needs to fight Andre Ward again - that's the only fight that should matter to him, but even so, his being on top says more about the lack of talent in the division than it does about Froch, in my opinion.

5. Simon

This fight is worth every penny of the PPV.

Two incredible warriors.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

and one second rate referee.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

George Groves really impressed me, I knew it would be a good fight but I don't think many people are going to agree with the early stoppage. Karl Froch really didn't look comfortable at any point in the fight before the 9th round. Never seen a fight stopped where the referee had to restrain the losing fighter though.

8. Simon

Groves was excellent. A real professional display and he executed his plan exactly as he said he would.

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I knew he was pretty technical but some of those exchanges were so clean he made Froch look like the challenger. He made a lot of fans yesterday.

10. belltoller

Your sentiments are not exactly isolated. The latest Bleacher Report starts out "Boxing has another stinker on its hands.

Carl “The Cobra” Froch (32-2, 23 KO) was literally handed a TKO win over George Groves (19-1), thanks to the most inept job of refereeing you’ll ever see."

Do you think the early stoppage the result of too much brain-damage hysteria that's making headlines at the moment? or...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I agree the stoppage was early. I watched the fight today, and it was a good fight for Groves, however, frochs' punches and pressure looked to be starting to break groves down very subtly. I believe that Groves last 3 rounds would have been surviving the fight to get the decision. I think Froch was going to stop him before the final bell though. Btw, I am not a fan of either guy. On a side note, this fight showed why Froch doesn't belong in a ring with Ward again.

12. puma

puma Valued Member

Should never have been stopped! I give both men credit though. Groves put on a performance many never thought him capable of. And Froch could easily have given up in the 1st round. He could have easily just missed the count, then said afterwards he was caught cold but after so many tough fights just doesn't have it any more, or any other excuses others may have used. He always fights on, no matter what. I have never seen such a poor boxer achieve so much through sheer guts, spirit and heart. A very brave, tough man. However, with no back-up plan, and taking a good hiding every fight he is in, you wonder what is left. A rich man surely doesn't need to keep getting bashed-up. Unlike Ward or Mayweather who rarely get hit, Froch can not suddenly change tactics in a fight when it is all going wrong. It is all or nothing with him. It's why we love him, but also why later in life he will be very lucky not to feel the effects. This fight wasn't long after the Kessler war. You can't go on like that.

13. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

This is pretty much my view with better spelling.

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I also don't know how many more wars like that froch has left in him, he's not getting younger and has taken a lot of hard hits all the way through his pro career.

15. belltoller

Good analysis. Heard somewhere that one of the Manchester or Newcastle United footballers had said that there was a good bit of booing at the end of the fight - directed at Froch.

Found that hard to believe.

16. puma

puma Valued Member

Really? He doesn't deserve that.

17. Simon

Froch probably tried too hard in the post fight interview.

He should have just admitted that Groves surprised him and that he would have to take stock before agreeing to a second fight.

Froch tried too hard to justify the referee's actions.

18. puma

puma Valued Member

To be fair, he had just had his head banged about for nearly half hour! I'm surprised he could talk at all!

Fighters are usually too proud to give an unbiased opinion, so even though I don't agree with him, I understand why Froch said what he did.