Carl Froch said he wouldn't want to fight Golovkin

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

The Cobra said he is "to dangerous" lol. This is interesting since Golovkin has yet to fight a true elite fighter... I'm not doubting his skill and ability to beat an elite, but just in general. Martinez looked good until he got in with Cotto too.

http://en.tengrinews.kz/sport/Carl-Froch-Golovkin-too-dangerous-255073/

WBA and IBF world champion in the super middleweight division Carl Froch wants to avoid fighting Gennady Golovkin.

WBA and IBO world champion from Kazakhstan Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin defended his title against Daniel Geale from Australia this Saturday.

“Just swerve Golovkin like the plague. He punches like a mule. I don’t need to be in with him. Dangerous fight,” Froch, who is in a higher weight division than Golovkin said.

Mull or not, but Golovkin wrecked Geale in the third round with a TKO and brought his KO ration to 90%.

In the meantime, Golovkin is not planning to move up to a higher weight division. After winning Geale, Golovkin challenged Miguel Cotto and Peter Quillin. The Kazakhstani boxer said that he wanted to unify the titles in the middleweight category. “Golovkin will be a guy who is going to be tough to beat. I’m not sure that there’s too many guys out there that are going to give him too much of a run. Good luck to the guys who can and I’d love to get another opportunity one day,” Geale said after the fight.

For more information see: http://en.tengrinews.kz/sport/Carl-Froch-Golovkin-too-dangerous-255073/
    Use of the Tengrinews English materials must be accompanied by a hyperlink to en.Tengrinews.kz

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Froch was asked how he would fight Golovkin, so he might have been relaying a game plan. Get out of his way, keep him at range.

But it's irrelevant since they're in different weight classes.

3. Saved_in_Blood

He said "I don't need to be in with him and to swerve him like the plague" that doesn't sound like a game plan.

They are in different weight classes, but unless Golovkin gets a shot at Cotto, he's not going to be making any high dollar PPV's unless he moves to 168.

4. holyheadjch

But he wasn't asked if he wanted to fight GGG, he was asked how he would fight him. His answer is therefore ambiguous. Does he mean he would duck Golovkin (incredibly out of character for Froch) or does he mean he would get out of the way of Golovkin's punches ('swerve') and attempt to avoid getting stuck on the inside ('in with him') where Golovkin's power would be most telling.

I don't like Froch - I think he's overrated, but I don't see him ducking a fighter because he thinks he hits too hard. That's not Froch.

Cotto can only avoid GGG for so long before he starts to look a coward.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Cotto isn't even a true MW and Martinez was almost always the smaller man in the ring... Cotto is even smaller. Golovkin is maxed at 160 based on how cut he is and has nowhere to go but up. Cotto's gotten his 4th weight class title and is now a Puerto Rico legend as the first fighter from there to do this. He will likely fight Alvarez for 10+ million instead of Golovkin for much less than that.

We can agree to disagree, but Froch came out and said flat out “Just swerve Golovkin like the plague. He punches like a mule. I don’t need to be in with him. Dangerous fight,”.

Froch wouldn't want that fight and how you could get anything other than that out of that quote puzzles me.

6. holyheadjch

You have to take the question into account when you interpret an answer.

7. Saved_in_Blood

If you were to have said that you believe he is saying "if I were a 160 lb fighter, I wouldn't want that fight" then I could go along with that. I just cannot understand how you interpret what he did say as any sort of strategy other than "my strategy is just never to fight the guy". How you are making this into something that it's not would seem like you either hate Golovkin, or you actually do like Froch though you claim you don't... in either case I understand... I don't like a lot of fighters and would like to see them lose too, as in the past I always took what my favorites have said and tried to make it out as something else before.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

There's no context in this. No question, just an answer. I wouldn't take everything you read in the media at face value.

9. holyheadjch

It's quite simple really, THAT IS THE QUESTION HE WAS ASKED. Against that background, the answer is ambiguous and given Froch's character, I find it hard to believe he would go on the record as saying he would duck a fighter.
    Completely back to front - I like Golovkin - I don't like Froch. I would love to see Golovkin KO Froch. I don't believe Froch would duck the fight with Golovkin and I don't believe Froch would go on the record as saying that he would duck the fight, whether or not he intended to do so.

10. Saved_in_Blood

In fairness... he did attempt to duck Groves in a way. He made the excuse that he didn't deserve a rematch.

11. holyheadjch

But he never came out and said 'Ooh, dangerous fight, not for me that'

12. Saved_in_Blood

lol but he said “Just swerve Golovkin like the plague. He punches like a mule. I don’t need to be in with him. Dangerous fight,”

so yes, he did actually say almost your exact words about Golovkin lol. Come on man.

13. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Found the same article here http://www.boxingnews24.com/2014/07/froch-doesnt-want-to-fight-golovkin/

This part stands out

14. Saved_in_Blood

Ok, i'll go along with that. It seemed a bit more cut and dry when I saw the quote, and of course Max isn't meaning to offend anyone as well. I will give Carl the benefit of the doubt because he's done a lot in his career and yes, he really hasn't avoided anyone.

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

SIB, If I may be so bold...even though we all speak what we refer to as 'English', there are dialectical differences between the various English speaking countries and these differences in subject/object clauses, abbreviations in prepositional phraseology, changes in meaning given a word order, differences in parochially-derived conventions e usually do not show up in the written language as they would if the conversation were being spoken.

English instinctively write in a language that has been stripped of all the various local, regional colloquialisms, unique short-hands and so forth and when you take a language and strip it of all its character, linguistic histology and dialectical flow, one ends up with a basic, standard language that is nearly identical to American English.

But it isn't.

My wife and her family do similarly, they write to each other in simplified Chinese. Cantonese, full Mandarin and all being too rich and expressive. Just to get the point across as quickly and economically as possible - just the facts - that's similar to how we communicate when we write.

Anyroads, the only time you'll notice it really, or it causes confusion is when a person is being quoted verbatim.

Yeah, that was his gameplan, how he was going to approach things.

If'n he'd said something like..."I've no time for that *******" then, it would've meant he didn't want to fight Gennady.

The dead give away is no footballer from Nottingham is ever going to say they aren't game for a fight. Its a cultural thing, lol.

Anyroads...Belltoller's 2 1/2-penny linguistics lesson is all done now.

Carry on :argue:

16. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, I understand what you mean. My Wife being Korean also will talk to her family sometimes and she'll just say all of this stuff and i'll ask her. What did you say? It just winds up being something that seems so much more simple than that long thing (I say thing because I couldn't even begin to say it).

17. puma

puma Valued Member

I think it's the, "I don't need him," which was more telling. He was being nice saying how tough he is, but he is right. What does he get out of fighting someone from the smaller weight group? It wouldn't be a sensible one for Froch to take, I don't think. He certainly wouldn't be scared of him. I think it should be one more and out for Froch. Actually, being such an over achiever, he probably should have already retired. He'll never beat Ward, so fight the fatty from Mexico and call it a day, only because that should be a fairly easy fight.