Cardio untill puking? Dangers?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ShadowHawk, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I remember when I was in High School we would have "American Football" practice, 3 a days, thats basically hard training from 9am to 6pm . I live in hot florida year round and we used to puke almost daily from our workouts.

I ran 3 miles last night and ended up puking towards the end of it. It was cool and at night so I cant blame the heat. Maybe I pushed myself too hard? Felt great afterwards but I want to know if this is dangerous. I know our coaches when were teens never had a problem with it, in fact they would laugh seeing us throwing off our helmets and puking.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I've puked a few times during BJJ and saw a few dudes puke from judo. It happens. I talked to one of my drinking buddies who's in med school right now, and he said it was just a case of too much carbon dioxide in the body or something. I blame my hangover. Saturday practices are brutal.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its not optimum for building cardio, Its bad for your teeth, and upsets your digestive system.

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I used to laugh at the Prowler sled videos until I tried it at the gym last year. Brutal intensity. I wasn't sick but damn near. There's a saying I've heard on a couple of powerlifting videos recently that has made me think about training intensity vs training insanity (woot I just made that one up)tm :) anyway it's training for (muscle) stimulation, not anihilation!

Being sick every day would be no different to Bulimia. Definitely not recommended.

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Ran the same in hot weather today , more intensely as well. Didnt get sick. Guess my body is just re adapting since I have been inactive for so long.

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Could have been anything, a gentle jog can make you hurl if you've just eatten.

No it's not something to aim for, your coaches where stupid, throwing up is a sign that something is wrong, usually the body becomes too acidic. Why do you want something to be wrong?

Any idiot can make you throw up, it's a sensible coach can make you better each week.

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm no doctor, but throwing up as a result of exercise is never a good thing as it can have an impact on your digestive system and your esophagus (throat) as well as other vital organs.

Usually in exercise its the result of putting too much stress on your body eg; heavy exercise after eating, drop in blood sugars (usually as a result of not eating enough), lack of oxygen (out of breath), extreme dehydration or hydration (not enough water or far too much water). Having a sudden drop in your blood sugars, or experiencing a lack of oxygen or extreme dehydration can have a negative impact on your vital organs including your brain (due to the reduction of blood flood).

If you're starting to feel nauseous during exercise, then you either need to slow down or stop altogether and rest. If you keep ignoring the signs and push through, this can lead to all sorts of problems such as Rhabdomyolysis .

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

The thing is: football coaches don't care about you. At all. All they care about is getting a team that wins. That the ones left are the toughest out of the bunch. So they'll drive you to destruction and whoever cannot take it gets left behind. From their point of view, this makes sense. They'll get left with only the toughest people of the bunch. Part of the training is for improving the quality of the players, but the other part is just to drive away people.

They're not trying to get the best out of you, they're trying to break down as much people as they can as long as they have more candidates than they need. In other words, this is less about building up than about breaking down.

For you as a player, this means that you have absolutely no guarantee that the coaches are pushing your body in a manner that is responsbile. They'll push hard enough that everyone who is not in mint condition breaks. If you are not in mint condition (and part of this is genetics), you break. And they won't shed a tear.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Lots of factors involved including whats been mentioned above (food in the belly)

I've never puked from workouts, but have been close. I have nearly passed out a few times, simply from going back to high intensity after a long layoff.

Tingling sensations akin to pins and needles, on hands and face and I knew it was coming. Fluids and a lie down helps.