Cardio for Krav Maga

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by martial newb, Nov 14, 2008.

1. martial newb

martial newb Valued Member

I'm a little nervous about joining Krav Maga. I tend to get dizzy when upside down, like flipping and sommersalts. Also, I fail miserably at doing proper pushups. I'm 6'7" 230lb. I used to be very skinny at 180lb for my height and over the past year or two, I've been weight lifting 3 - 5 days/week and gained mass to 230lb so I'm still trying to get used to my new size.

Can someone give me a rundown on what the average cardio is for a daily Krav Maga lesson? On average, how many pushups at a time are you expected to handle?

Thanks!

2. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I don't think you will be doing any flipping and sommersalts in a krav maga class! With the push ups, set yourself a goal and then gradually increase it over time as your fitness improves.

3. *MiKe*

*MiKe* Ek = ½ m V2

It is hard to say how many pushups you are expected to do in a class,
    as some lesson you will be doing more than others, at different speeds, and diffrent intensetys aswell as mixing them with other exercises.

4. martial newb

Thanks for the quick reply! I'd post elsewhere but I see there is no Krav Maga section here.

5. martial newb

Looks like I posted before Mike posted. Thanks for your reply, Mike. I guess I was wanting to know how many pushups I should work up to before joining Krav Maga so I don't look like a fool there being probably the only guy who can't do them. I'm still struggling with 10 proper pushups let alone different speeds and intensity... although I've just started trying pushups over the past couple days.

6. *MiKe*

*MiKe* Ek = ½ m V2

I belive that in martial arts I should do bodyweight exercises to control my own weight, and weight lifting exercises to control my oponents weight.
    It should be just as inportant.

7. martial newb

I've just been doing weight lifting but not bodyweight exercises. I'll look into that.

8. Arcana

Arcana Valued Member

You weight train 3-5 times a week and have gained 50 pounds of muscle mass (I presume), yet you can't do 10 push-ups. :confused: What sort of weight training do you do? 1 rep with max weight? Sorry I just find that strange, that you can't do even 10.
    Anyway, I've been training Krav maga for a few months and we never focus that intensely on cardio. I think the most push-ups we've done is when sparring and getting penalised for being hit resulting in 5 push-ups for every time you are hit - so you might do 40 push-ups but only 5 at the time. Other clubs might do things differently though, but don't let that scare you off.

If you train up to 5 times a week and have done so for a year, I suggest instead of weight training that often go running at least once a week to improve your cardio.

9. martial newb

For my weight training, I do on average of 4days/wk. I train different body parts on diferent days, such as Mondays are: Incline Bench Press, Bench Press, Butterfly Curl, Leg Press, Leg Raises, Leg Curls. I am on a 5 week cycle. 1st week = 8 - 11reps, 2 sets for each exercise, 2nd week = 4 - 7 reps, 3 sets, 3rd = 8 - 11r, 4 sets, 4th & 5th week = 4 - 7 reps, 5 sets. My bench press is now at 210lbs for the 8 - 11reps.

You now have me worried that about the pushups though, I wonder why I can't do them if I can bench that weight. Maybe once I go from benching 210lb to my own weight of 230lb, then I can do the pushups easier?

10. Arcana

Arcana Valued Member

For some strange reason I have noticed that only few people here discuss Krav maga, so you might wanna try this forum http://kmforum.kravmaga.com.

I can do 30-35 push-ups yet I doubt I can bench more than 140 for 8 reps. I weight about 180.
    Just go to a class and see how it is - if you don't like it, stop coming. If you find the cardio too hard but still like the class - well, start doing some more cardio - running, cycling, swimming, rowing etc.

11. martial newb

Looks like you're the opposite of me then. You have no problems with bodyweight exercises but lacking on weight lifting and I have no problems with weight lifting but lacking on bodyweight exercises. Once I'm more used to my new body type, I'm hoping that'll be different. I'll check out the link though. Thanks man

12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

moved to H&F --> Cardio

13. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Stop lifting, start doing circuit training.

This is an example of how the bodybuilding world has influenced the world of martial arts. The types of exercies you've been doing are for making your muscles bigger and more defined, not for increasing functional strength for your martial arts. Unfortunately many gym instructors stick with the well known body building type workouts.

Heres Randy Coulture talking about this problem:

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nvFvAf0MwR8"]YouTube - UFC Champ Randy "The Natural Couture" training routine[/ame]

Heres some examples of functional combat specific training:

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vXPxmOcxLek"]YouTube - SAID Training with Jeff Monson for UFC 65[/ame]

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IcTg0s7kkGc"]YouTube - UFC MMA Training Luis Cane[/ame]

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1G61d0feaIg&feature=related"]YouTube - Sean Sherk Workout[/ame]

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zd5eyufKZEo&feature=related"]YouTube - Explosive & Reactive Strength Training[/ame]

Obviously the level here is very high and no ones starts at that intensity, that only leads to injury! But hopefully it shows the type of exercies that you need to do in order to most improve your martial arts perfromance.

14. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

bench press does NOT a push up make.

I weigh in at about 190 lbs, bench 225 lbs, can do around 60 pushups straight. How? Practice. Not just bench. Not just pushups. Both. I also am required to be able to at least do 44 pushups in two minutes though because of my job in the U.S. Navy. If you want to be able to do pushups, you gotta do em. If you want to bench heavy, you have to do bench heavy. Nothing to worry about. You have just be neglecting your pushups.

Try this. After you have completed your chest exercises for the day, do three sets of pushups to failure. Then, 3 days later, do high rep chest exercises (20-25 reps) with supersets of two exercises at a time. Afterwards, do 3 sets of pushups to failure.

example: Monday-inclince bench press (4-5 sets/failure each set around 8 or 9), decline bench press(4-5 sets/failure each set around 8 or 9), bench press(4-5 sets/failure each set around 8 or 9), Pec-Dec butterflys(4-5 sets/failure each set around 8 or 9), pushups

Thursday-incline free weight press (3 sets/25 reps) supersetted with decline free weight press (3 sets/25 reps), chest pullovers (3 sets/15 reps), free weight butterflys (3 sets/25 repss) supersetted with body weight dips (3 sets to failure), pushups.

Just a suggestion. Edit how you want...or disregard completely. Up to you.

15. martial newb

Damn, now those are great comments and videos! Thanks guys. ;)

I'll definately try out your suggestions and see how it goes.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

17. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Not sure of Coulture's exact workouts but I know he does alot of plyometric training exercies like burpies and box jumps.

Search for 'Randy Coulture All Access' on google, thats a half an hour video with alot of footage of him training, it'll give you an idea of the sort of stuff he does. I can't link it here cos its a TV programme and shouldn't really be on the net:D

The thing with Randy's training is that not only has it got him into peek condition, its kept him there into his 40's!

It would depend on the exercise and your level of conditioning. As a rule of thumb its good to keep holding them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  18. Topher

Topher allo!

Cheers. I'll check that out.

Although to clarify, I didn't mean all the exercises he does, rather only the five or so in that video. I want to set up a exercise/weight training routine (for weight loss and strength) and I need to ensure it include all the muscle groups, although I'm not sure exactly which exercises to include (particularly the upper body/arms as there are so many exercise its quite confusing. I suspect many different exercises may achieve the same thing.)

Thanks. :)