cardio and weightlifting on one day??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hades, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

owkay.. maybe this question has been asked a million times, so flame me if so..

I want to become stronger, and have better fitness and endurance. At the same time I would like to burn off a bit of bodyfat... it's not like I'm a big moosy, but my abs aren't showing, while I have quite strong abs. Also I would like to become more muscular..

Now..

My workout looks like this:

monday: weightlifting
    tuesday: weightlifting or cardio
    wednesday: boxing class
    friday: boxing class

my question is: if I added cardio on the monday and tuesday, would that be bad? I mean.. doing weights and cardio on the same day... with a big break in between..
    Would I get maximum profit from it?
    Anything you guys would wanna add/change in my schedule?

much thanx in advance

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I'd say you could would have a better chance getting away with cardio and weights on the same day if there was a day or more worth of rest in between.

I'd do them on different days, but thats just me.

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

It's better to do cardio and weights on different days. Cardio is catabolic I believe, so you won't make gains in strength, size, whatever. Now I think you can do cardio AFTER a weight training workout provided you rest a good amount of time between each, and refuel your body with a good PWO shake. I'm not an expert on this stuff though, so you may wanna wait for BeWater or Adam to come on in here and bust out their freaky deaky knowledge..:D

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I'm pretty sure cardio isnt catabolic, at least regular cardio, I'm sure mega-intense cardio could be, but who does that.

The reason I wouldn't do them on the same day is because I take great care in consuming lots of food to repair muscles, and I would just need to eat even more if I did cardio, and it would be a pain in the bum.

5. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

Excess cardio to a certain extent can be catabolic and will probably hinder your gains if you do long hours of running and what not. If you want to add in maybe 15-20 minutes of fast incline walking after your lifting, that's fine. But don't go overboard. Like the others said, it's best to do cardio and lifting on separate days but if it's on the same day make sure your cardio session is light.

And if you want to make sure you don't burn a lot of muscle when doing cardio, make sure you have good pre/post cardio meals. Also, do a Google Search for HIIT. It's worked quite well for me to try and burn fat.

And why worry about cardio so much when trying to lower BF%? If you want to see your abs, what you need to do is keep lifting heavy weights to try to preserve as much LBM as possible and then have a good diet. Eat 300-500 calories under your maintenance level of calories and you should lose weight, and if done correctly that weight should mostly be fat you're losing.

Good luck.