Car accident-- Now what?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Tian-Tian, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Whew! I haven't been back to MAP in months! :eek:

So hey again, everyone. I got in a car accident 4 weeks ago. I was sitting in the front passenger seat (in the US that's the right side of the car). We got hit twice by some person who thought she could pass us on the right on a one lane street... we were making a right turn and she rear-ended up and then over-corrected and slammed into my passenger door... and kept going, taking out one of our headlights. The car was totaled and I got to ride in a neck brace to the hospital... in the back of an ambulance. In the end I got major soft tissue damage in my neck and back. And I got to wear the neck brace for 3 weeks after.

So that was fun.
    Not.

I've been in physical therapy for four weeks... I still need to be cleared by my doctor if I'm safe to pick up heavy-duty activity again.

As far as physical activity... well, I was down and out for the count from this accident. In short, I'm a non-toned mess and I want to jump back into TDK and Hapkido in the Fall (42 days until classes start)

Would swimming be my only option as far as physical activity (until my doctor clears me)? I've got myself lined up for both Intermediate Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido for the Fall semester at my college and I'd like to not be completely winded on my first day back.

I have about 42 days until classes start. I know I won't be able to change much about my physical condition in that time, but even a little would help.

Any ideas?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

3. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. :)

4. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I'm no help recommending exercises, but nice to see you back on MAP! I was browsing the journals the other day and thought "Tian hasn't updated for a while, I wonder what's up". :) Sorry to hear about the accident, hope everything heals well.

5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Swimming is a good way to get back into it, will not over stress your joints as much as running would. You can take it easy in the pool for an hour and still have a good workout. I'm shifting a stone a month through swimming every day (granted im now doing 3 miles) but id recommend it.

I used to swimm alot when I had to learn to walk again and use my left leg

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're ok. Yes swimming would be a good option. As you get fitter and recover from your car accident you could mix longer distance slower swims with sprint sessions Just be careful if you do breaststroke with your head above the water the whole time, as it can put pressure on your neck and back. You could also use a stationary bike as an alternative to the pool.